• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

Agreed. Guys who win at multiple levels seem to continue to do well. Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, etc. I'm sure there are counter-examples, and I'm not saying Lembo is the next Urban Meyer, but success seems to translate across multiple levels. Trumps any assistant, IMO.

And guys who lose on multiple levels continue to lose. << cough bzz cough >>

Come on, Ron. Please go out on a limb and make a GOOD DECISION!!!

Chip Kelly is another example of a guy who came from nowhere (New Hampshire). Spent one year as OC at Oregon and then was named head coach the following season.

I know it's Wellman hating season and all, but you have to assume that part of the reason multiple coaches have reported interest in coaching Wake has to be because:

1) He gave Grobe time to build a program. (1-7 in year 4 in the ACC)
2) He paid the man.
3) After Grobe succeeded, Wellman poured money into the program via facility upgrades.

I get that it's a tough place to coach, but Wellman (with Grobe's help) has definitely made it an enticing spot for an up-and-coming coach.

Is this true? I haven't been around long enough to know. In the press conference it seemed as if Grobe repeatedly mentioned difficulties in facilities / support

Spencer D. Turkin ‏@Turkin35 1h
#Source #ballstate HFC Pete Lembo is the front-runner for the #WAKE Football HC job. #Deacs prefer HC experience for hire.

Is this true? I haven't been around long enough to know. In the press conference it seemed as if Grobe repeatedly mentioned difficulties in facilities / support

Take a stroll down Google for some old pictures of our facilities in the 90s.

Agree with the thought that if a guy has won everywhere he has been (and has not taken over jobs in cushy spots, like State's coach did before State), that is as good an indicator as you will find.

#Source #ballstate HFC Pete Lembo is the front-runner for the #WAKE Football HC job. #Deacs prefer HC experience for hire.
That make sense because IMO Wellman just about has to go with someone highly successful as a HC with this hire given the problems with Bz, who was a highly praised (NBA) assistant but not highly successful as a HC.

I also think Wellman/BOD will continue to pour money into the football program because it has elevated national recognition for Wake as a whole, which was a weakness in the USNooze rankings.

I hope that's true, I really feel like he's the guy we should try to get. No guarantee he'll be successful, but I think going by what we know, he's looks to be the best fit.

Old Gold & Black board is solidly behind Lembo. Calling him the obvious pick and mentioning how much he and his wife like NC.

...also appears to be some BSU troll on there feeding some info.

Tarheel talking trash.

I signed up for that board months ago and have yet to be approved. Mods, if you're reading this, approve me.

Ball State isn't a public institution?

Ohio is much more like Wake than Ball State is.

The main fact I like about Lembo is he is a winner. He won at Lehigh, he won at Elon and he won at Ball State. The fact that he won at schools similar to Wake is just a bonus.

Ummm no. Ohio is much more like BSU than Wake. And BSU is much more like Ohio than Wake.

Oh the days when industrialists were also philanthropists

Many still are. There are tons of great examples.

There were plenty of really greedy business owners in the past too.

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

We don't need another goofball off-the-wall gut instinct hiring by RW.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 25m
At Wake, word we got yesterday is that the administration is first seeking someone w head coaching experience (& strong academic record)

Hard to imagine anyone but Lembo being the choice given this info

IMO, if they offer Pete (and we should) he will come. His family was very happy living in Elon and his parents, if I am not mistaken, live in Wake Forest (Wake County).

Back