• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

Not feeling the Lembo lust! Bring in the Doooooze!! I want a "big-time" coordinator with success against big schools. That means more to recruits than beating the likes of Akron and Kent St.

Sorry, just not impressed with his one "excellent" year at Ball St.

"If you asked me what my druthers would be, certainly (a) head coach who's had private-school experience and great success," Wellman said.

I think a hot coordinator at a big public school is just a no-go for us. Lots of sports writers have picked up on Lembo because it makes sense more than anything else. He's obviously a hot name right now, but he's also a Wake Forest fit. Being the Head Coach for 10 years at small, private schools and making a big splash on a national level at a mid-tier school works for Wellman.

They are shitting bricks.

I liked the reactions on that thread. A coach who they really like, who they would hate to lose but think is a great fit here, and they clearly expect him to start winning here too. I think I'm Lembo in.

Yeah, I think I'm on Team Lembo as well. The Michigan State D-coordinator is interesting, but I don't think he'd be as good a fit as Lembo. Let's face it, there are huge differences in coaching at a big State school and coaching at a small private school. Jim Caldwell came from a big State school and it just didn't work.

......they also have a very low opinion of their football program and wonder why anyone would want to come there....
Dang, had to pass a WF test to be able to register and search the board....
icon_rolleyes.gif

......they also have a very low opinion of their football program and wonder why anyone would want to come there....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Probably after reading Dillon Fence's posts.

I know it's Wellman hating season and all, but you have to assume that part of the reason multiple coaches have reported interest in coaching Wake has to be because:

1) He gave Grobe time to build a program. (1-7 in year 4 in the ACC)
2) He paid the man.
3) After Grobe succeeded, Wellman poured money into the program via facility upgrades.

I get that it's a tough place to coach, but Wellman (with Grobe's help) has definitely made it an enticing spot for an up-and-coming coach.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Probably after reading Dillon Fence's posts.

Can you believe these Negative Nelly posters?! Now they're going to cost us a coaching prospect!

“We were pretty happy at Elon. He's going to investigate any opportunity and see if it is good for us and him.” -Ball St Def Coord

Lembo seems a very attractive candidate- but I would not be so quick to rule out folks from public institutions. There are many fine public institutions and being employed by one does not mean a candidate can not adjust- James Franklin and David Cutcliffe seem to be doing just fine thank you very much. Grobe came from a public university. Limiting ourselves and thinking we are so very special that we can only succeed with a small private school coach is a variation of elitist LOWF thinking. We are not the only school with good academics. If we were so very smart as we think we are, we would have a much better athletic department. I am not sure a little diversity in this area would not do us well. We are a mickey mouse small time operation in so many areas. Time to step it up. Let all interested the candidates apply.

Lembo seems a very attractive candidate- but I would not be so quick to rule out folks from public institutions. There are many fine public institutions and being employed by one does not mean a candidate can not adjust- James Franklin and David Cutcliffe seem to be doing just fine thank you very much. Grobe came from a public university. Limiting ourselves and thinking we are so very special that we can only succeed with a small private school coach is a variation of elitist LOWF thinking. We are not the only school with good academics. If we were so very smart as we think we are, we would have a much better athletic department. I am not sure a little diversity in this area would not do us well. We are a mickey mouse small time operation in so many areas. Time to step it up. Let all interested the candidates apply.

You're preaching to the choir here. It's Wellman who struggles with elitist egotistical thinking.

Ball State isn't a public institution?

Ohio is much more like Wake than Ball State is.

The main fact I like about Lembo is he is a winner. He won at Lehigh, he won at Elon and he won at Ball State. The fact that he won at schools similar to Wake is just a bonus.

The main fact I like about Lembo is he is a winner. He won at Lehigh, he won at Elon and he won at Ball State. The fact that he won at schools similar to Wake is just a bonus.

Doesn't Ohio U have like 50,000 students?

I think there is a big difference in coaching at a public school that plays in the MAC, then a public institution like Michigan State or Penn State for example. A coach coming from a MAC school, even if public, won't be coming from a situation where the resources and facilities were better. I really think that is why Caldwell struggled so much here, I think he tried to bring the Penn State type attitude here and that just doesn't translate.

Agreed. Guys who win at multiple levels seem to continue to do well. Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, etc. I'm sure there are counter-examples, and I'm not saying Lembo is the next Urban Meyer, but success seems to translate across multiple levels. Trumps any assistant, IMO.

Ball State is public - was founded with private money and then gifted to the state of Indiana in 1918.

Back