• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Steve Forbes! #ForbesInTheForest #Forbest

Not sure how many have seen this, but you can send a video welcoming coach to Wake using this address. wfsports@wfu.edu I sent one earlier today and actually got a response back thanking me.

The 80s NBA was a different time but not signing a deal until the day of just first game is crazy. Clippers gonna clip but still.

I wonder if Manning has a particular stubbornness about contracts that led to bad deal we inked with him.

I think Conor did call out some fans but he didn’t say it wasn’t Stockholm Syndrome to have an us vs them attitude about the fans.

I think Conor did call out some fans but he didn’t say it wasn’t Stockholm Syndrome to have an us vs them attitude about the fans.

Yeah, the us vs. them attitude, I think I told one of the radio or podcasts I did a hit with, you could pick up on that if you looked for it. Shit, sometimes it felt like certain players were happy to rub our faces in wins and resented us when they lost, like we had something to do with it.

I'll never forget that after the OT win against Miami last year, like 12-point comeback in 1:30 or whatever it was, a support staff member who'll remain unnamed here came into the media room after interviews and yelled something about "now make sure yall write something good, we know what you write when we lose."

More than anything, think it's important to realize the players in the portal could come back. Haven't been on here much since Thursday night, so I might be off here, but I think sentiment of "screw the players, they don't want to be here anyway" is misguided. Pitt and Virginia Tech mentions aren't accidental. They're seeing what's out there.

Hell, as I think I've said: I've been part of several ownership changeovers at newspapers. If there was a transfer portal to enter and explore options, I'd probably have done it every time.

Yeah, the us vs. them attitude, I think I told one of the radio or podcasts I did a hit with, you could pick up on that if you looked for it. Shit, sometimes it felt like certain players were happy to rub our faces in wins and resented us when they lost, like we had something to do with it.

I'll never forget that after the OT win against Miami last year, like 12-point comeback in 1:30 or whatever it was, a support staff member who'll remain unnamed here came into the media room after interviews and yelled something about "now make sure yall write something good, we know what you write when we lose."

More than anything, think it's important to realize the players in the portal could come back. Haven't been on here much since Thursday night, so I might be off here, but I think sentiment of "screw the players, they don't want to be here anyway" is misguided. Pitt and Virginia Tech mentions aren't accidental. They're seeing what's out there.

Hell, as I think I've said: I've been part of several ownership changeovers at newspapers. If there was a transfer portal to enter and explore options, I'd probably have done it every time.

Yeah. I think people get upset when student-athletes get the same rights that students and workers have.

It frustrates me when people don’t understand that they’re treated better when they perform better and get treated worse when they perform worse. For coaches and athletes, it’s about wins and losses. Of course media are going to treat them “better” when they win and “worse” when they lose.

It’s annoying because it reeks of people trying to defend losing.

This is why winning cures all. Even 18-19 wins. But last place...not healthy.

Losing brings out the worst...stupid behavior, crazy comments like that support staffer, young minds not able to handle it...

Forbes is a winner. He will win 20 plus games every year, after year one (year one is already looking chaotic due to covid etc.).

Book it.

That whole thing is super interesting to me. On some level it makes sense to think that way, especially for a team with a lot of disappointment. But that is 100% the sort of thing a coach should make sure that people in his program are not focused on, it’s just a massive distraction. Losses can motivate you pretty significantly, but when you can deflect blame onto the media and your own fans, you aren’t going to feel that same motivation from a loss.

Regardless, I bet this sentiment is way more common among cellar-dwelling sports teams than we realize.

"Several ownership changeovers"??? Did you ever take any of them as a hint?

A coach needs to take responsibility and protect his players. Manning constantly threw his guys under the bus.
I hope the players in the transfer portal come back. Forbes will have their backs.

Well that was encouraging! Forbes is going to make his mark in the ACC.

I know we're getting biased coverage over here but I haven't seen a single piece of negative or neutral reaction on the hire. Everyone seems to say that he's gonna kill it here and not in a canned Carmelo Anthony quote about [redacted] way.

Good report Conor, Forbes to me has that "fire in the belly" wanna win mentality. Reminds me of Prosser in many ways. Manning for all his talents as a player was not able or capable of teaching his skill set to his players. He wanted to but as mentioned earlier did not have that "fire" to do so. Much has been reported on his net worth. If his net worth was $20M or greater, IMO, he had a complacency that he has achieved a financial plateau of comfort that would never be threatened or compromised. Always remember, physical/mental hunger can be a terrific motivator to achieve at the next level!

That’s a great video.

Gary Segars is right on, of course he made Forbes 50, not 55, but he nailed it otherwise.

Great part of that video. “We don’t talk about Wake Forest. But I’m going to be talking about them now.”

Amazing that’s Gregg Marshall is doing the rounds to talk about our coach... don’t remember anyone doing that with the last two.

Guys, we're not just going to be good again.... :thumbsup:

We're going to be great! :dancindeac:

Back