• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

Simply an aggrevating factor as far as I'm concerned.

A. They've been coaching together since 1997
B. They're now family
C. No way Grobe fires Lobo if tasked to fire "someone from the coaching staff" from Wellman.

Wellman and Grobe have lost the fucking plot (unless Grobe didn't have a say in who was fired in this circumstance while Wellman deviated from his AD style over the previous two decades, in which case, just Wellman has lost the fucking plot)

Keith Henry has been coaching with Grobe since 1995. Didn't do him much good compared to Lobo.

False, this is based on nearly a decade of piss poor offensive performance while Billings has moved around and done everything asked of him.

Well, I actually agree with that. I'm just saying this thread has about 3 dozen posts about what happened against MSU.

Can you really argue in the last two years that the defense has outplayed the offense?

I'm still holding out hope this means Lobo is being shuffled as well, but not fired.

I'll wait until more comes out on this, but unless it turns out that he was violating NCAA rules or pulling a Sandusky, this move makes absolutely no sense.

Ah, my bad. Still can't imagine that connection causing any problems.

I don't think it has/will cause any problems, but it's funny.

However, the Grobos must be close enough that my friend felt this connection was significant enough to mention.

Well, it wouldn't surprise me that the wife of a fired coach might be pretty miffed about that. I probably would be too if I was in their shoes.

I don't go to practice or spend time around the team, so I don't know anything about Tim Billings and whether he did a good job or not. But I'm not afraid to admit that.

I think it's a little crazy that the consensus on here is that he was an awesome coach who was unjustifiably let go. I mean, how do you really know how good of a coach he was or what other things were going on? He has coached some good position groups in his time at Wake, but also some not so good ones (aka this year), and regardless, correlation does not imply causation and a lot of that success or failure is based upon players that he may or may not have been the primary recruiter for.

We have to be honest with ourselves that as fans, we probably know less than 15 percent about what's going on inside our athletic programs. It's Tiger Woods Syndrome. You assume that because you haven't heard anything bad about a public figure that he's an outstanding guy, when really you have no idea. Call me crazy, but I trust Grobe to make the correct personnel decisions given that A. He usually does and B. He is the one who way more than us knows how the coaches work with the team

Regardless of any other circumstances and solely living in a vacuum, I'm pissed as hell if I'm Billings. He did a hell of a job at Wake Forest

That's a valid point, Mystery. We know two main things: (1) Billings' units have improved considerably over the previous year and (2) Billings came up with the idea of moving Kenny Moore to RB that led to the ACC Championship season.

Regardless of any other circumstances and solely living in a vacuum, I'm pissed as hell if I'm Billings. He did a hell of a job at Wake Forest

Seriously asking - what are you basing that on? Assumed recruiting? Because by the numbers it can't really be the performance of the defensive squads, right?

I readily admit I know very little about the direct impact of Billings on the team. I'd really like to know.

I don't go to practice or spend time around the team, so I don't know anything about Tim Billings and whether he did a good job or not. But I'm not afraid to admit that.

I think it's a little crazy that the consensus on here is that he was an awesome coach who was unjustifiably let go. I mean, how do you really know how good of a coach he was or what other things were going on? He has coached some good position groups in his time at Wake, but also some not so good ones (aka this year), and regardless, correlation does not imply causation and a lot of that success or failure is based upon players that he may or may not have been the primary recruiter for.

We have to be honest with ourselves that as fans, we probably know less than 15 percent about what's going on inside our athletic programs. It's Tiger Woods Syndrome. You assume that because you haven't heard anything bad about a public figure that he's an outstanding guy, when really you have no idea. Call me crazy, but I trust Grobe to make the correct personnel decisions given that A. He usually does and B. He is the one who way more than us knows how the coaches work with the team

Minus this past year I've gone to a ton of practice and every single unit that Billings has been in charge of has been on top of it. Billings is a HELL of a recruiter as we've seen the results from ALL the Texas players we've reeled in. Literally EVERY SINGLE Texas player we have over the past few years has been the result of Billings bringing them in. Not a single person I've talked to associated with the team since the news has broken has had a positive thing to say about it and I've talked to 11 people about it. Every single person has been critical of the move. Now that tells me something. I don't know what else to tell you than that. Those are my two cents.

Minus this past year I've gone to a ton of practice and every single unit that Billings has been in charge of has been on top of it. Billings is a HELL of a recruiter as we've seen the results from ALL the Texas players we've reeled in. Literally EVERY SINGLE Texas player we have over the past few years has been the result of Billings bringing them in. Not a single person I've talked to associated with the team since the news has broken has had a positive thing to say about it and I've talked to 11 people about it. Every single person has been critical of the move. Now that tells me something. I don't know what else to tell you than that. Those are my two cents.

Ha, you answered my question while I was typing. That's a pretty convincing post.

A friend who worked with the team for his whole time at Wake said Billings was the best assistant by far.

Seriously asking - what are you basing that on? Assumed recruiting? Because by the numbers it can't really be the performance of the defensive squads, right?

I readily admit I know very little about the direct impact of Billings on the team. I'd really like to know.

Billings was in charge of wideouts in 2006 and 2007, years where Morton was here and prospered as well as when Kenny Moore was moved to runningback, due to Billings' glowing recommendations. He moved to the secondary position in the 2008 and 2009 years, where Alphonso Smith broke the ACC record in interceptions (2008) and gave glowing credit to his positions coach, and then Josh Bush (although we all had issues) was ultimately taught how to play the secondary position in general and became an All-American (you all may have issues with this characterization but that's fine).

He worked with defensive ends last year where Wilbur became a stud before being moved to the linebacker position, and then this year worked with outside linebackers where Wilbur again excelled. We can all just place this under the luck of Billings having had good talent, but I think he's done a hell of a job. As I also mentioned, he's been in charge of Texas recruiting all this time.

I still think there had to be some issue between Grobe and Billings at some point this season, as Racer had heard in his rumor.

Well it doesn't sound very promising that we're losing him then, but again, I'm inclined to trust Grobe on his personnel issues.

One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. This was the first year of having co-defensive coordinators, correct? Perhaps the Knorr-Billings dynamic was not working out and Grobe decided that he wanted to keep Knorr, leaving no real way to keep Billings on staff since it would be an obvious demotion/awkward situation.

FWIW I have also heard rumors about a Billings/Grobe divide from a couple of players but given those player's status on the team who the hell knows. And no I won't expound on that post period.

i worked for the team for 2 seasons 2006/07 and i can say from my time that Billings was obviously the best assistant coach. i wasn't a big fan when he was moved to the defensive side because he did such great things (IMO) with the wideouts but i don't think anyone can disagree that the D was better this year than any of the Lambert (who was a great man and a great coach, but not a very good D-coordinator) defenses.

i just got through reading this whole thread and you can count me in with everyone else who was shocked upon hearing about Billings being let go. wish him the best

One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. This was the first year of having co-defensive coordinators, correct? Perhaps the Knorr-Billings dynamic was not working out and Grobe decided that he wanted to keep Knorr, leaving no real way to keep Billings on staff since it would be an obvious demotion/awkward situation.

That's correct, but given my knowledge of the two I can't imagine any situation where Knorr would be kept over Billings. That has nothing to do with how I feel about Knorr but should stand as how I feel about Billings.

I still think there had to be some issue between Grobe and Billings at some point this season, as Racer had heard in his rumor.

Pure speculation here - Makes you wonder if the Josh Harris situation didn't have something to do with it. He recruits Texas so Josh was one of his recruits, Josh is a big-time talent but finds himself in Grobo's doghouse.

Things like that can fester, words get exchanged, and you've got a falling out between coaches. Again, just pure speculation.

Back