• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

Could be as simple as a disagreement over 3-4 vs. 4-3 and not willing to get on the same page.

from the journal article. I know some will be happy to see this

"He said he is considering changing the responsibilities for the remaining assistants on staff."

I noticed that when I read the story. I think Grobe has finally reached the point where he's decided to shake things up. We've been in a rut for a while, so a change was warranted, I just wasnt expecting this one. The good sign in all of this IMO is that Grobe sees that things need to be changed and is willing to make some drastic changes. His lack of mixing it up was a huge knock many of us had against him in the past.

Best of luck to both of them at the upcoming conference. Fingers crossed that hey end up at UNCC so their families can stay in the area.

I noticed that when I read the story. I think Grobe has finally reached the point where he's decided to shake things up. We've been in a rut for a while, so a change was warranted, I just wasnt expecting this one. The good sign in all of this IMO is that Grobe sees that things need to be changed and is willing to make some drastic changes. His lack of mixing it up was a huge knock many of us had against him in the past.

Best of luck to both of them at the upcoming conference. Fingers crossed that hey end up at UNCC so their families can stay in the area.

Maybe Henry, but my guess is that Billings lands on a new staff at a bigger program.

This statement in today's WSJ article is encouraging:

Because most of the recruiting has been completed for next season, Grobe said there is no rush to hire two new assistants. He said he is considering changing the responsibilities for the remaining assistants on staff.

Sounds as if no job is safe and a new OC is not impossible for next season.

i'm just glad i read this thread, and learned (from doofus) that it's completely ridiculous to think that people may make hiring and firing decisions differently when friends/family are under consideration.

Billings and Grobe had personality differences

lol no doubt. i'm sure doofus has extensive management experience on his resume. managing people sucks, especially when you have to really come down on them, and doubly especially when you have some semblance of a friendship with them.

Even without the wedding Grobe would never fire Lobo so I dont think it really matters that much. Sucks that billings is out tho

Maybe one of the new assistants will be named OC and Lobo will be re-assigned. Just a thought.

Probably more likely that Lobo is named associate head coach and Galloway takes over as sole OC, which I would be fine with - and about the only decision coming out of Wake athletics over the last two years that I understand (outside of bringing Childress and Galloway on board).

2 points under MSU's season average. The defense greatly improved and I have plenty of reason to believe Billings had something to do with it. His track record is better than Knorr's.

There's a reason why nepotism and cronyism are bad, folks. This is just a horrible cruel joke.

Exactly

Hope not, bone. Love Barclay but we can get more experience.

Billings and Grobe had personality differences

I have heard something similar. Apparently, Billings tends to be more aggressive in his approach. While this is not a bad thing in-and-of-itself, it has apparently caused conflict with Grobe and some of the other assistants. If this "aggressiveness" has also caused issued with the Admissions folks, then you might see how Wellman might get involved. Remember folks, that Wellman has a boss too. . .and he seems to care an awful lot about academics.

I have been a business owner since 2000. I used to have a gal that worked for me that was a tremendous worker. . .could do the work of two employees. . .but her inter-personal skills left something to be desired. She was constantly causing tension with the other staff members. I almost had to break up a fist fight on one occasion. She single-handedly created an awful tension in the office. While her work performance was exemplary, I just could not get her to play well with the others. During that time, I used to have a burning sensation in my stomach. Once I let her go, I never got that feeling again. I am not saying that Tim Billings is a bad person. . .I have no idea. But having been a manager for a while now, what I would say is that a person's work performance is not the only factor that a manager considers in his assessment of the employee.

I honestly thought it was more likely that Grobe would go to Penn State and Billings would get our head coaching job.

I am disappointed in this. But i'm not in the football office so I guess it is what is. Grobe has shown me enough during his tenure that he has my full support.

Guys, there are few (if any) posters here who know more what's going on inside the athletic department than DonaldRoss. He should be paid attention to when he posts.

Well, unless, he's getting injury reports from Duke players. :)

Back