• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

Just months ago, esteemed poster IAppreciateIt described Billings as "a football genius."

As stunned as people may be over this fact:

An esteemed member of our mod crew who doesn't normally agree with me and Numbers both agreed over their love for Billings.

SAD DAY

I've missed those posts. Can you point them out? I do see posts bemoaning nepotism.

Billings was in charge of wideouts in 2006 and 2007, years where Morton was here and prospered as well as when Kenny Moore was moved to runningback, due to Billings' glowing recommendations. He moved to the secondary position in the 2008 and 2009 years, where Alphonso Smith broke the ACC record in interceptions (2008) and gave glowing credit to his positions coach, and then Josh Bush (although we all had issues) was ultimately taught how to play the secondary position in general and became an All-American (you all may have issues with this characterization but that's fine).

He worked with defensive ends last year where Wilbur became a stud before being moved to the linebacker position, and then this year worked with outside linebackers where Wilbur again excelled. We can all just place this under the luck of Billings having had good talent, but I think he's done a hell of a job. As I also mentioned, he's been in charge of Texas recruiting all this time.

Great post. Billings will definitely be missed, if nothing else by the fans.

As to the Lobo nepotism bullshit, it's just that. Bullshit. Grobe's treatment of Lobo, for better or worse, has been consistent going way back before any of this.

As to the Lobo nepotism bullshit, it's just that. Bullshit. Grobe's treatment of Lobo, for better or worse, has been consistent going way back before any of this.

Agreed. Nepotism isn't why Lobo's here, it's because Grobe respects his knowledge of the game. For better or worse, that's why he's still here. I question this not on the basis of Lobo's knowledge, but the way he goes about utilizing it, but I'm not a football coach.

Totally agree, numbers. Lobo obviously could improve at his job. But it's clear that Grobe approves of how he does his job and it's not because of the wedding connection.

Last time I read this thread, it didn't have a Twin Smackdown. Now it does. We're all better off as a result.

I just assumed doofus decided to post under numbers' name because his bro had scored so much cred on the last few pages.

There is no twin smackdown. There is no bro cred. They are one and the same. It's like ilovewfu vs. wfustudent all over again.

I don't have a ton of connections to the staff, but the couple I do have always been effusive in their praise for Billings (and actually derogatory about Lobotzke, but that is another issue). We just lost our best recruiter. Hopefully Galloway and Elrod cN fill the void.

And for those asking Aniyah the D's performance this year, 73rd in the country was a miracle given the dearth of talent in our front 7.

Pure speculation here - Makes you wonder if the Josh Harris situation didn't have something to do with it. He recruits Texas so Josh was one of his recruits, Josh is a big-time talent but finds himself in Grobo's doghouse.

Things like that can fester, words get exchanged, and you've got a falling out between coaches. Again, just pure speculation.

Or it could be over the Nick Knott dismissal.

from the journal article. I know some will be happy to see this

"He said he is considering changing the responsibilities for the remaining assistants on staff."

Pretty sure wake ad has long running policy against family HIRES which was the original reason odom got so pissy. He couldn't hire his son.

I think you all have beenlooking at this too myopically.

The underlying tension of div 1 college athletics today is the give and take of academics and athletic success. Do you need to cede some academic vigor for athletic success and is it justified. The Dino firing BZZ hiring was all about this. Our Texas recruits by and large have struggled to rep wake appropriately to a certain extent. I would be surprised if this move wasn't related to this. All our moves of the last several years have been all about this issue.

I don't think wellman has done a particularly good job and has marked too definiive of a position. I would guess his desire to leave a legacy now has motivated him to carve too deep a road. The curbs seem to be too high for the road cthe road is good but the curbs are two feet high. They need to be 4 inches high

Last edited:
:eek:hnoes:
from the journal article. I know some will be happy to see this

"He said he is considering changing the responsibilities for the remaining assistants on staff."

:eek:hnoes::willynilly:

Lobo will be offensive AND defensive coordinator!

The defense forced 4 turnovers that the offense converted into 7 points.

We were basically last in the NATION in sacks or 115/120 teams or something.

In the 3-4 defense, aren't the OLB's the ones who are supposed to get to the QB?

Maybe it is scheme? Personnel certainly as the UGA and Bama 3-4 defenses have MASSIVE nose guards.

So, the lack of qb pressure, Wilber looking lost in coverage, Ehrmann having sort of a quiet season...just guessing at some other reasons.

Honestly thought the D was tough and very improved, aside from never sacking the QB until the MCB.

Back