• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

Yes, Grobe who has turned down multiple big time jobs due to staff loyalty issues and could have another job at a big time school in a matter of minutes, would fire two staff members as ordered by Wellman to save his job.

If an explanation sounds completely idiotic on its face, then it probably is.

Dude, just telling you exactly what I was told. I can tell you those words came out of the mouth of one of the coaches wives.

Both have contracts until June and will have insurance until then. Both coaches are hoping to network during an upcoming coaches conference but are a little worried about finding a job right now.

What sucks is that both Billings & Henry had beats on several good recruits.

Dude, just telling you exactly what I was told. I can tell you those words came out of the mouth of one of the coaches wives.

Both have contracts until June and will have insurance until then. Both coaches are hoping to network during an upcoming coaches conference but are a little worried about finding a job right now.

What sucks is 2 good men are out a job and [Redacted] is sitting on the rock of Gibraltar.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

amen!

Lobo is the fucking problem. It is unbelievable how he hangs on. He sucks. No he is not incompetent just not talented. The one move we need to make will not happen.

It's becoming harder and harder to give a shit about WAKE athletics now, and I'm a lifer

Yeah if Grobe's job was in jeopardy and [Redacted] was safe and sound I would have to throw something. Grobe is safe as can be. Despite the struggles down the stretch, this wasn't a disappointing year overall.

Yea, but Grobe has been around 9 (?) years. [Redacted] hasn't even had a full two seasons. We can argue whether that should mean anything, but it does.

Yea, but Grobe has been around 9 (?) years. [Redacted] hasn't even had a full two seasons. We can argue whether that should mean anything, but it does.

And [Redacted] will be lucky to come even close to matching the success that Grobe has had at Wake in a much easier program to be competitive in.

I feel bad for both of the guys, but it sounds like groundless speculation which frankly makes no sense at all.

The fact that Wellman would be threatening Grobe's job is hard to believe
The fact that Wellman would be making staff demands on Grobe is hard to believe.
The fact that, in the unlikely event that the first two things happened, that Grobe wouldn't tell Wellman to go take a flying leap is hard to believe.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
And [Redacted] will be lucky to come even close to matching the success that Grobe has had at Wake in a much easier program to be competitive in.

Hey now! Buzz is only 2 wins away from tying Grobe's single season record... give credit where credit is due!

So I was anonymous neg repped for relaying info?

Sorry you don't like what I posted. I guess next time I get info I will lie so it sounds better? Or fits your idea of what happened?

Grow a set and sign your name.

I mean....if the Wellman/[Redacted] thing wasn't shady enough. Now we get this news.

I can see why people might start losing faith in the athletic department...

I mean....if the Wellman/[Redacted] thing wasn't shady enough. Now we get this news.

Only is you suspend logic and give this nonsense any credence..

Confirmed. Ben Grobe is engaged to Nicole Hazen.

Sister of Kristen Hazen Lobotzke.

They are to be married in June of this year.

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

I feel bad for both of the guys, but it sounds like groundless speculation which frankly makes no sense at all.

The fact that Wellman would be threatening Grobe's job is hard to believe
The fact that Wellman would be making staff demands on Grobe is hard to believe.
The fact that, in the unlikely event that the first two things happened, that Grobe wouldn't tell Wellman to go take a flying leap is hard to believe.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Whatever.

Maybe the wife was trying to make sense of what went down and why the OC still has a job?

And from things I have heard over the past 2 years, I put NOTHING past Wellman so I never think anyone's job is safe, Grobe included.

This just in! DS Premium is now posting info found on this board! Old cranky fate white men over there not above being hypocrites!

I'm not even sure what this means. Are you talking about level of success adjusted for the relative stature of the program? Or are you saying Orange Bowl = Final Four? I really don't know what to make of this post.

My point is that you don't fire people after 1.5 years on the job in college athletics unless you're a big-time program that feels like you can bring in a stellar hire, or there were off-the-field issues.

The cautionary tale here is one of teams who thought they were "big time," hired guys early into their careers, and then couldn't make a stellar replacement hire. They compound the problem, and get locked into a series of mediocre coaches that they continually hire and fire. Notre Dame comes to mind.

There have been several weird decisions from the athletic dept. Obviously the [Redacted] hire and Billings/Henry departure. Also, unless I missed something, the departure of Jeff Zinn right as a brand new tennis facility was completed was very odd. Just seemed like a weird time to leave a relatively successful program.

Lot's of weird shit going down.

We should send a gift to the wedding.

Back