• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Buy-outs don't apply to resignations, do they?

I’m sure it’s all just part of the negotiation process. The buyout very well could be 5, 10, 18 million and the 3.5 number is what the sides are looking at now. I have no idea.

I would take Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. Not sure he would want to come to wake considering how he likes to recruit, but would be a fun coach to have. I tend to doubt he would take as many chances at Wake as he has in the past (much like Cal has 'cleaned up' at Kentucky...obviously this would be to a much lesser degree).

No way. The Tennessee thing is not the only shenanigans in his career.

If you want to bring your program under a continuous magnifying glass from the NCAA, hire Bruce Pearl.

Exactly, he had a weird incident where he recorded a call with a recruit getting him to admit taking an SUV and other benefits to attend Illinois.

FYI, we are on the ESPN scroll and it essentially says Wake hires Currie and it's his first gig since the Tenn Schiano debacle.

I've heard that number twice today...when pressed, both finally admitted it traced back to here. If you have legit independently verified info, post it, but far too often things show up here, filter through the rumor mill and then get posted back as confirmed.

Look no further than the Shaka to Wake rumor...a single Facebook post that has turned into vague "heard from an insider" postings across the Wake, VCU and Texas boards.

I heard it from a separate, though not 100% reliable source. I’ve gotten about 10or so nuggets of info from the guy and they’ve been accurate 80% of the time.

I’ve also heard a number higher, from a more reliable source.

I fully expect the buyout to be smack in the middle of the smallest number you’ll hear (such as the 3.5) and the 18mil. Common sense would lead anyone to believe as much.

Also just an FYI, I agree with the posters above that a) it doesn’t make full sense to discuss the buyout # now because it will surely be negotiated to something different and b)no one know for sure what the number is. There’s a reason there are 3+ numbers floating around. Its hard to get info about Wake in general, and contract details would be even harder.

Last edited:
I can't believe that there were not conditions to an extended contract. Conditions which have not been met, presumably (unless they were things like just showing up for practice and games).

I like to picture Danny Manning finding out about Wellman’s retirement by reading the paper tomorrow morning in his giant recliner.

Danny <puts on reading glasses>: “Hmm... It says here that Ronald is no longer going to be stacking days in the athletic department. Sounds like maybe we’ll have to finish the season strong to keep this thing going.”

<calls into the other room>

“Evan... Who we got this week?”

Evan: “Pops... We’re going to Cameron Indoor to play Duke on Tuesday night.”

Danny: “Did we play them yet?”

Evan: “Lost by 22! But I don’t think Zion is playing this time!”

Danny <still not looking up from his paper>: “Gonna need a lot of paint touches. A whole lotta paint touches.”

Evan: “And the guys are going to have to stay in front of their damn man, right pops?”

Danny <mumbling to himself; still rifling through the paper>: “Apple sure doesn’t fall far from the tree. Now I wonder what shenanigans that Funky Winkerbean has gotten himself into this time.”

Fin

I’m not savvy to these kind of contracts, but isn’t there possibility of a performance clause in DM’s contract? As in, you suck, we drop you.

I'm impressed with the change of Athletic Directors. It was done quietly and in a manner befitting Ron Wellman and John Currie. The timing eliminates any question about leadership in the athletic department regarding possible new hires and at an optimal time for change. Given this development, I would not be surprised if new basketball coaching candidates have been contacted or someone selected. It appears that the big money contributors have decided to play hardball and move forward. Kudos to their efforts.

Money talks. Some of us went to bed last night surprised and elated. Others woke up this morning to be surprised and elated. I suspect that all the money matters have been discussed, resolved and agreed upon. Further discussion is unnecessary. A new coach may be in waiting with all contract details finished. Maybe a list of acceptable candidates has been furnished and agreement has been reached. How and when decisions and announcements are made will optimize the acceptance and support of the Wake Forest family. In matters like our basketball program, you can play hardball if you have the money to back it up. That is how it works in the real world. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
How long should it require to turn the program around?

Not sure what would equate to the program being turned around, but I expect we see an obvious improvement right from the start.
The team being competitive and showing an ability to play defense would provide instant evidence the impact a coach can have.

So in Currie's category of don't mess it up.

- Football
- M/W Tennis
- Soccer
- FH ?
- Track
- Baseball

In the category of 'aggressive'

- Men's hoops
- Women's hoops

It's pretty simple, don't break the things the are working, be laser focused on the things that are complete mess to the rest of the world.

So in Currie's category of don't mess it up.

- Football
- M/W Tennis
- Soccer
- FH ?
- Track
- Baseball

- Men's hoops
- Women's hoops

It's pretty simple, don't break the things the are working, be laser focused on the things that are complete mess to the rest of the world.

That sounds like a good strategy. Figure out why the sports that are successful have been. Figure out what they need for continued success.

Fix the obvious problem sports.

Where do men's and women's golf fit?

I'm not up on all sports but from quick research

o in Currie's category of don't mess it up.

- Football (support keep momentum going)
- M/W Tennis (Support)
- Soccer (Support - invest)
- FH (support)
-
- Baseball (support)

- Men's hoops (do I have to say it, overhall the program get a real coach)
- Women's hoops (have they had more than two competitive seasons)
-
-
-
-
-
- Track (i.e. better team as opposed to individuals) He get soem one off studs but not a team to compete
- Cross Country (i.e. better team as opposed to individuals) Same here, get the guy who loves to run and he in the championships but the rest is pretty blah.

Currie's gob is pretty darn simple fix hoops and upgrade trask and we are the top of the directors cub at the end of the year. Screw Standford

As much as we harass Wellman there is really one mess to fix.

Not reading every page to see if already posted but a good sign that Currie's baseball hire for Tennessee has them off to a 12-0 start this year, including a three-game sweep over Indiana who is a tourney regular and a win over Liberty who we lost to

Back