• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

People need to get over the "buyout". It doesn't matter what it is. It's like you bought a $100 stock and instead of selling at $50 you ride it to a penny stock. Any buyout is better than what we lose by not making a coaching change. It's that simple.

People need to get over the "buyout". It doesn't matter what it is. It's like you bought a $100 stock and instead of selling at $50 you ride it to a penny stock. Any buyout is better than what we lose by not making a coaching change. It's that simple.

I think most agree that Manning is going to be fired after the season, no matter the cost.

The issue w/ the buyout is the degree to which it impacts the hiring of a new coach. It's a vastly different pool of candidates at $1.5mil vs. $2.5mil.

Any idea what time the press conference will be in the afternoon?

I like the fact that the state of WFU basketball is his No. 1 concern.

How long should it require to turn the program around?

Depends what you mean by “turn it around”.

Should take him no more than three years to reach Thursday of the NCAA tournament (with clear progression along the way) and no more than 5 to have us competing for championships again (when his honeymoon class will be seniors).

Depends what you mean by “turn it around”.

Should take him no more than three years to reach Thursday of the NCAA tournament (with clear progression along the way) and no more than 5 to have us competing for championships again (when his honeymoon class will be seniors).

I agree. If there’s one thing we’ve learned over the past decade it’s that after 3 years you have a pretty good idea of the direction in which the program is trending and after 5 the conclusion is definitive. We knew what to expect with [Redacted] like 5 games into his first season and, despite Manning’s first four appearance in year 3, it was becoming apparent he wasn’t the answer.

Did the quad get rolled? Do people still care about Wake sports?

No and no

Hopefully Currie and Co. go the moneyball route and higher and young up and comer on the cheap. No need to funnel tens of millions of dollars into a college sport that will dead in 10-15 years.

No and no

Hopefully Currie and Co. go the moneyball route and higher and young up and comer on the cheap. No need to funnel tens of millions of dollars into a college sport that will dead in 10-15 years.
The NCAA tournament generates a billion dollars of revenue. No way they are letting that die.

How long should it require to turn the program around?

Not sure what would equate to the program being turned around, but I expect we see an obvious improvement right from the start.
The team being competitive and showing an ability to play defense would provide instant evidence the impact a coach can have.

Buzz Williams took VT to the NIT in his second year. Seems like a reasonable floor for expectations.

Buzz Williams took VT to the NIT in his second year. Seems like a reasonable floor for expectations.

Yes. We have some talent on the team assuming it doesn’t leave. I’m dying for anything to pay attention to regarding the Deacs in March.

Many thought Maryland to the Big 10 was a message board rumor until it actually happened. Deacon fans were in South Bend and the football team was taking a beating. The basketball team was down to Iona 43-5. And Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC. Not a good day.

I like dealing in facts, and the facts are that conference alignment was occurring, Wellman was the AD, the ACC remained intact, and Wake is currently in the ACC. That’s what matters, and in my opinion, that is extremely important from Wake’s perspective.

More facts - the ND agreement was announced in September of 2012. This was two months before MD left so hard to argue that it kept the conference together. Now, in the months prior, there was indeed some noise from higher-ups at FSU about evaluating their conference membership, but it was mostly founded on bad facts and once facts were clarified the pressure went away. Whatever noise there was about Clemson was very quickly shutdown by the University president, AD, and Dabo himself. There were some rumors about GT but only after MD left (e.g. the ND deal did not prevent it). There were never remotely substantial rumors about Duke, UNC, or UVA.

Again, the publicly available fact pattern does not support the narrative that you have spun.

Yes. We have some talent on the team assuming it doesn’t leave. I’m dying for anything to pay attention to regarding the Deacs in March.

Yeah, if everyone comes back we could be a bubble team again next year. Huge IF, considering we still won't have a decent point guard on the team.

Back