• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

What I'm missing is why Greg Schiano seems so reviled. Given his strong track record at Rutgers and NFL and coordinator experience, seems like he'd be a pretty appealing hire for just about anyone.

What I'm missing is why Greg Schiano seems so reviled. Given his strong track record at Rutgers and NFL and coordinator experience, seems like he'd be a pretty appealing hire for just about anyone.

It’s ok that you’re not a fan of college and pro football.

This won't work, as it will allow a myriad of ways for rich donors and schools to legally promise and funnel money to recruits, which will create just a few super teams and all other programs will disband. The whole system will fall apart. That's why this has not already happened.

There are a few key principles that, in my opinion, inform this whole discussion: 1) They are student athletes, not employees. That's why they do not pay taxes. 2) Student athletes already receive a lot more benefits than almost everyone realizes - they are now receiving cost of living stipends. Zion's $8 million insurance policy? That was paid for by Duke at a cost of $50,000. The top student athletes are now very well compensated. 3) Obtaining an athletic scholarship is highly, highly desired for a reason - it is a great situation. That is why other countries (you can read about the UK or Japan's recent efforts) are trying to duplicate the system and/or sending their student athletes to the US. 4) The solution to almost all of the perceived problems is to allow athletes to go directly to professional leagues, if they do not want to go to college. That is happening with the NBA, already occurs with baseball and soccer, and will need to happen with football.

So? I’d rather big donors give their money to the players than to the school. And not sure how that money flow would work in reverse.

And I disagree that just a few superteams would form, especially if the very best players are skipping college altogether. If anything it would create more parity. Top 50 recruits would be less likely to go ride the bench at Duke if they knew they could make real money by being the guy somewhere else.

One key principle. If you want them to be students first and athletes second, then apply the same rules you apply to other students. No other students are barred from making money while in college.

Lunatic UT fans thought they could do better, so they brought up Schiano's brief past ties to Penn State as an assistant. It was never even close to documented that he knew anything about Sandusky, but they created the mob mentality (campus protests, etc), blocked his hire, and ousted Currie as a result. Both Peyton Manning and Jimmy Haslam (biggest booster) were in favor of Schiano.

I would be very disappointed if we hire Bruce Pearl. He's a snakeoil salesman (who can coach, don't get me wrong). His first scandal was him taping people over the phone, I think, as part of a deal to right his own mistakes. He then cheated again. He is not well liked in the coaching community and is best when coaching at a non-basketball school, I think. In other words, he is where he should be.

He's like Skip Prosser crossed with Michael Cohen. You like him, he's charismatic, but ...

If he's a smart man, until he's dead. No easier job in the world. There is no better scam than admin and fundraising for higher education.

Hey rich alumni give us another 20M so we can say that our bank account is bigger than the other schools!

Isn't that the truth? Guy is another gladhander who hopes his rear is kissed as much as those he kisses to get money. He's never had any clue about athletics, hence the reason it took till now for Wellman to leave. Hatch doesn't seem to care and/or understand what Wake's bball success under Duncan & Childress did for the school's recognition nationwide. One would think someone who was high level at Notre Dame would recognize that point.

The Penn State stuff has nothing to do with why Schiano is hated (but I guess it helps). He's hated because he is a huge asshole... One of those guys that likes to yell and scream to make sure he gets his point across. You can find stories about him being a prick very easily if you google his time as head coach in Tampa Bay.

He's with the Pats now. I think he's doing OK.

Also, Google Jeremy Pruitt. There's a reason that he never stuck around at high profile DC gigs more than a couple years.

The Penn State stuff has nothing to do with why Schiano is hated (but I guess it helps). He's hated because he is a huge asshole... One of those guys that likes to yell and scream to make sure he gets his point across. You can find stories about him being a prick very easily if you google his time as head coach in Tampa Bay.

I believe Clawson and Schiano are good friends.

Greg Schiano Is A Bully, According To Mike Silver (9/21/12)
https://tampabay.sbnation.com/2012/9/21/3370422/greg-schiano-nfl-scouts-bully-mike-silver

Greg Schiano Really Is As Big An Asshole As You Imagine Him To Be (10/2/13)
https://deadspin.com/greg-schiano-really-is-as-big-an-asshole-as-you-imagine-1440305088

Michael Bennett disses Greg Schiano, says Peyton Manning cussed Schiano out (10/24/13)
https://nflspinzone.com/2013/10/24/michael-bennett-disses-greg-schiano-says-peyton-manning-cussed-schiano/

Darrelle Revis: Atmosphere was ‘real tense’ with Greg Schiano as Bucs coach (1/23/14)
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/darrelle-revis-atmosphere-real-tense-with-greg-schiano/217602

Schiano's Media Men: Why so many sports writers are defending the honor of an authoritarian coach (11/28/17)
https://slate.com/culture/2017/11/greg-schianos-allies-in-the-sports-media-love-him-because-hes-an-authoritarian-bully.html

Old title eleven, huh? You seem to have a great grasp of this...

Yeah yeah yeah typed it in a hurry. But you get my point.

Of course this is the exact type of response I should expect from a smug out-of-touch Wellman-ite.

The whole house of cards is about to come down.

Because being an a-hole disqualifies you from being a good coach.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellicek say "Hello".

I would be very disappointed if we hire Bruce Pearl. He's a snakeoil salesman (who can coach, don't get me wrong). His first scandal was him taping people over the phone, I think, as part of a deal to right his own mistakes. He then cheated again. He is not well liked in the coaching community and is best when coaching at a non-basketball school, I think. In other words, he is where he should be.

He's like Skip Prosser crossed with Michael Cohen. You like him, he's charismatic, but ...

So he's perfect for wake?

As someone who has been vocally calling for Wellman to exit stage right for some time, I'm pretty stoked, but it gives me pause that the fan bases at both Tennessee and K-State are mocking this move. Seems like K-State fans are pissed he ran off Frank Martin, who was quite successfull, but is a huge asshole, in favor of Bruce Weber, who is a great coach, but pretty much the opposite of a sexy hire (quite successful 460–242 (.655), but bland and notoriously doesn't recruit the big time names), which proves the point that recruiting isn't the sine qua non of success that some here believe it to be, but I digress...

Seems like his time at Tennessee went not so wonderfully.

So is this just an uninspired, country club hire or are you actually excited about Currie as opposed to just being ecstatic that Wellman is finally gone?

Honestly I don’t give shit what UT and K-State think about him. UT hates Clawson and he’s turned out ok. K-State can bitch about him running off Frank Martin, but Bruce Weber has already won more conference regular season titles than Martin, so whatever. Maybe there are fan bases’ opinions out there I would trust, but these two are not among them.

UT’s fan base is so delusional that they thought they should have hired Gruden or someone who would have made a similar splash. Then being “repulsed” was a veil for them being pissy over the hire not being sexy enough since they see themselves as Alabama.

Because being an a-hole disqualifies you from being a good coach.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellicek say "Hello".

Makes you wonder if the reason why Saban didn’t pan out in the NFL is the same as Schiano? It’s almost like some systems and personalities work better at different levels. Growing up in NJ gives you a pretty good understanding as to how shitty a gig Rutgers actually is. It doesn’t matter that Schiano hurt some peoples’ feelings. What he did there was remarkable.

Lunatic UT fans thought they could do better, so they brought up Schiano's brief past ties to Penn State as an assistant. It was never even close to documented that he knew anything about Sandusky, but they created the mob mentality (campus protests, etc), blocked his hire, and ousted Currie as a result. Both Peyton Manning and Jimmy Haslam (biggest booster) were in favor of Schiano.
Technically Currie was fired for going rouge and flying out to the West Coast to hire Mike Leach without the Chancellor's approval (he was instructed not to go if I remember correctly), but there was basically no way that he was going to survive the fan revolt and everything else that tarnished his attempted hire of Schiano.

I feel like the majority of fans who know the name of their AD don't like him/her, so not sure what to make of the UT/KSU fan reviews. However, I really do not want Schiano as our football coach. Not too bothered by his reaction to the backlash. Overall, I am cautiously optimistic, which is also what I said about the Manning hire. Hope Currie turns out better.

Back