• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Because being an a-hole disqualifies you from being a good coach.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellicek say "Hello".

That's fair... But if you aren't winning, you're just an asshole.

Either way, I am not a fan of coaches that treat players as sub-human. I'd argue that Meyer and Belichick don't do that. I don't know enough about Saban to say one way or the other.

UT’s fan base is so delusional that they thought they should have hired Gruden or someone who would have made a similar splash. Then being “repulsed” was a veil for them being pissy over the hire not being sexy enough since they see themselves as Alabama.

Woulda been interesting to see how they woulda reacted to Leach. Currie not letting the boosters/Fullmer know he was pursuing Leach seemed to be the final straw rather than anythign related to Schiano

Because being an a-hole disqualifies you from being a good coach.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellicek say "Hello".

In my mind, there is a difference between the reticent, gruff style of asshole vibes that Saban and Belichick give off than the scream-at-the-players, over-the-top asshole vibes that Schiano, Bob Huggins, Petrino et al give off. Not that Saban doesn't go hard on players on the sideline, just doesn't seem to be his main schtick.

I'd prefer not to have the latter as the HC of my favorite football team

As someone who has been vocally calling for Wellman to exit stage right for some time, I'm pretty stoked, but it gives me pause that the fan bases at both Tennessee and K-State are mocking this move. Seems like K-State fans are pissed he ran off Frank Martin, who was quite successfull, but is a huge asshole, in favor of Bruce Weber, who is a great coach, but pretty much the opposite of a sexy hire (quite successful 460–242 (.655), but bland and notoriously doesn't recruit the big time names), which proves the point that recruiting isn't the sine qua non of success that some here believe it to be, but I digress...

Seems like his time at Tennessee went not so wonderfully.

So is this just an uninspired, country club hire or are you actually excited about Currie as opposed to just being ecstatic that Wellman is finally gone?

For me, it's the latter. I have misgivings about Currie (not a lot, but a few) but I'm so relieved that Wellman's out of the picture that I would have been happy with anybody.

I still think the best course would have been to hire somebody with no WF connections and definitely no connections to Wellman, but I'm open-minded. It does worry that me that Currie cites Wellman himself as a mentor and major influence on him.

For me, it's the latter. I have misgivings about Currie (not a lot, but a few) but I'm so relieved that Wellman's out of the picture that I would have been happy with anybody.

I still think the best course would have been to hire somebody with no WF connections and definitely no connections to Wellman, but I'm open-minded. It does worry that me that Currie cites Wellman himself as a mentor and major influence on him.

I mean his first job was here and he’s obviously on good terms with current AD staff and the university admin. What’s he supposed to say? “Thanks for the warm introduction, Mr. Wellman. We have a lot of work ahead of us to put this dumpster firs out”? I wouldn’t read too much into this.

Currie has had a lot of years to learn under others and to fashion his own course. There would be little to gain (maybe making some on here happy) by trashing Wellman.

There is still a lot of good will for Wellman where it counts at Wake. It would be a major mistake to trash that. Accept that, and move to do something about basketball as soon as feasible.

I guess we should just hush up and let Ron have his day. But it's just silly for them to pretend this was his choice. Ron doesn't just quit in early March like this. He was obviously forced out. How stupid do they think we are?

I'm hoping for more transparency in the Currie era. It's not 1995 anymore, just be honest and say it like it is.

For once, amen DR. The whole attempting to control fans via message board interference and not just saying when you've fired someone smacks of a dead era. Just tell it straight, people will respect you for it

This is the best news basketball has had in a very long time

At this point I am content to let Wellman have as many streamers on his lance as he wants while he takes his ride into the sunset. It is much more important that the ride is happening.

His successor is a Wake guy who lived through some very good times at Wake. He knows how that happened. He made two good basketball hires at two other schools. He found guys who fit the circumstances. I'll expect similar performance at Wake.

At this point I am content to let Wellman have as many streamers on his lance as he wants while he takes his ride into the sunset. It is much more important that the ride is happening.

His successor is a Wake guy who lived through some very good times at Wake. He knows how that happened. He made two good basketball hires at two other schools. He found guys who fit the circumstances. I'll expect similar performance at Wake.

Who was the hire other than Weber?

As I said earlier, Currie will be a fantastic AD. The vast majority of Kansas State folks thought/think the world of him and the job he did there. The Tennessee thing.....well, just DON'T listen to Vol fans on that. The AD job at Tennessee is for masochists and Jimmy Haslem was the problem for Currie. Currie was damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I would bet my house on John Currie being a great AD for us and that he will be our AD for many years. I know him very well, and we got the right guy.

Ya think Ron enjoys steamers on his lance?

I guess we should just hush up and let Ron have his day. But it's just silly for them to pretend this was his choice. Ron doesn't just quit in early March like this. He was obviously forced out. How stupid do they think we are?

I'm hoping for more transparency in the Currie era. It's not 1995 anymore, just be honest and say it like it is.

Yes, absolutely spot on.

And I am a little surprised, but not really.

In other news, General Electric stock is down just a bit today...

Back