• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Because being an a-hole disqualifies you from being a good coach.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellicek say "Hello".

It's more like being a good coach disqualifies you from being an a-hole. If Schiano kept having success, he could have kept getting away with being an asshole.

I just heard from a person who works for us today that they knew somebody who was formerly the assistant ad at wake and they went to a ron wellman retirement party 3 months ago so this has been in the works. She thought that everybody knew.

She said she didn't think about mentioning it to me back then because she figured I knew.

Last edited:
I just heard from a friend of mine today that they knew somebody who was the assistant ad at wake and they went to a ron wellman retirement party 3 months ago so this has been in the works. She thought that everybody knew.

This does not surprise me. The making it public with Currie as successor may have been on hold waiting for Currie to resolve the legal issues following his firing at Tennessee. The announcement of that settlement Thursday may have put the public wheels in motion.

The Pearl best hits list:

During the 1988–89 basketball season, Pearl, then an assistant coach at Iowa, was at the center of a recruiting scandal involving Illinois. Both Illinois and Iowa were recruiting Deon Thomas, a top high school player from Chicago. Pearl lost this recruiting battle when Thomas committed to Illinois. Thereafter, Pearl called the high school student and recorded a phone conversation with Thomas, which may have been illegal depending on where Pearl originated the call. (Illinois requires prior consent of all participants to monitor or record a phone conversation according to Ill. Rev. Stat. Ch. 38, Sec. 14–2; however, Iowa, where Pearl was coaching at the time, only requires one party's consent to record a phone conversation.) During the conversation, Pearl asked Thomas if he had been offered an SUV and cash by Illinois assistant coach Jimmy Collins, and Thomas seemed to indicate that he had. Pearl then turned over copies of the tapes to the NCAA, accompanied by a memo describing the events. During the subsequent NCAA investigation, Thomas denied the allegations and said the story was false, that he was agreeing with Pearl only to try to get rid of him. Thomas later passed a polygraph test in which he denied Pearl's accusation of Illinois's offering cash and a car. The NCAA did not find Illinois guilty of any wrongdoing relating to Thomas's recruitment, finding that the purported evidence provided was not "credible, persuasive and of a kind on which reasonably prudent persons rely in the conduct of serious affairs."[3] However, since the investigation uncovered other violations, including Illinois's third major violation in six years, the NCAA cited Illinois with a "lack of institutional control" charge and implemented several recruiting restrictions and a one-year post-season ban.

When Pearl and Collins were both head coaches for four years in the Horizon League, the two men never engaged in the traditional postgame handshake, reportedly due to lingering feelings over the incident. When Thomas was asked about forgiving Pearl in a 2005 interview, he was quoted as saying, "It's hard to forgive a snake."[4] Thomas went on to become the University of Illinois's all-time leading scorer.
--------------
In the summer of 2008, Pearl invited high school junior Aaron Craft and members of his family to a cookout at his Knoxville home while Craft was on an unofficial visit to Tennessee. At the cookout, Pearl said that Craft wasn't allowed to be there under NCAA rules, but encouraged all those in attendance not to tell anyone about it. When the NCAA began an investigation of the affair, Pearl not only lied about the cookout, but also told Craft's father to lie as well.[9]

On September 10, 2010, Pearl acknowledged the violations in the Craft affair, and also admitted lying about it to the NCAA. As a result, Tennessee imposed sanctions on Pearl and his entire staff including $1.5 million in salary reduction over the coming five years and a delayed retention bonus. His off-campus recruiting was also restricted completely from September 4, 2010 to September 23, 2011.[10] On November 20, 2010, the SEC ordered Pearl to sit out Tennessee's first eight SEC games.[11]

After finding out about additional NCAA violations, as well as a violation of the school's substance abuse policy by a player, Tennessee fired Pearl on March 21, 2011—three days after the Vols' blowout loss to Michigan.[12][13][14] On August 23, 2011, Pearl was given a three-year show-cause penalty for lying to the NCAA, effective until August 23, 2014. This meant that the sanctions imposed on Pearl would remain in force if he was hired by an NCAA member school within that period. Specifically, he was prohibited from engaging in any "recruiting activities", which meant he could not contact recruits, although he could evaluate talent during that period. If a school chose to hire him and challenged the NCAA restrictions, it had to appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" for why the sanctions imposed on Pearl should not follow him to that school.[9] In imposing the penalty, the NCAA said that Pearl's lies turned what would have been a minor case into a major one.[15] His assistant coaches were also given one-year show-cause orders, in effect until August 23, 2012.
-------------------
Before Pearl's fourth season at Auburn, his associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested on charges of corruption and bribery.[26] Auburn elected to hold sophomores Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy out of games due to eligibility concerns raised over the FBI investigation.[27] Pearl was cited as being uncooperative with Auburn's internal investigation of the program at first, though school president Steven Leath and Pearl have since come to an understanding of expectations for the investigation.[28][29] Despite the scrutiny both internally and externally and losing two players due to the investigation, Pearl has led the 2017–18 team to its best record since 1999

I guess we should just hush up and let Ron have his day. But it's just silly for them to pretend this was his choice. Ron doesn't just quit in early March like this. He was obviously forced out. How stupid do they think we are?

I'm hoping for more transparency in the Currie era. It's not 1995 anymore, just be honest and say it like it is.

For once, amen DR. The whole attempting to control fans via message board interference and not just saying when you've fired someone smacks of a dead era. Just tell it straight, people will respect you for it

In fairness, calling this a "retirement" very well could have been part of the agreement to get Wellman out the door. If Ron gets to enjoy some back-slaps, so be it. What matters now is getting the ride guy in place at the top of the AD (check) and the right guy to lead hoops (TBD).

I just heard from a person who works for us today that they knew somebody who was formerly the assistant ad at wake and they went to a ron wellman retirement party 3 months ago so this has been in the works. She thought that everybody knew.

She said she didn't think about mentioning it to me back then because she figured I knew.

I'm going to call BS on that. I know someone personally who worked in the AD with Wellman for years. She is still close to Wellman (in fact when I visited her in the hospital after she had surgery, Wellman was there visiting her as well). She would have told me about it.

I'm going to call BS on that. I know someone personally who worked in the AD with Wellman for years. She is still close to Wellman (in fact when I visited her in the hospital after she had surgery, Wellman was there visiting her as well). She would have told me about it.

Maybe she didn't get invited.

lol at there being a retirement party 3 months ago and this is all #fakenews

GTFO.

It came as a surprise to me. She would have no reason to make something up and is a pretty sharp person. They are App fans. Her husband is real close to the new UL coach Satterfield (played football at App at the same time).

Maybe she was mistaken. Just relaying what she said.

Also have another person who has a relative who works in the Deacon Club. They knew about this and were planning to announce Monday. The break in the story sent them all into frantic mode.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but no way that wouldn't have gotten out. Seems like Wellman and his cronies are trying to win the PR war one final time.

And if it is true, and the Wake brass kept it a secret for three months, that's even worse. Why should the general public ever trust them again?

I guess we should just hush up and let Ron have his day. But it's just silly for them to pretend this was his choice. Ron doesn't just quit in early March like this. He was obviously forced out. How stupid do they think we are?

I'm hoping for more transparency in the Currie era. It's not 1995 anymore, just be honest and say it like it is.

The fact that this leaked Saturday night after the Cuse game, before Wellman could get out ahead of it, tells me that those involved feel the same way, even though they are there today smiling and shaking hands.

For example...

Also have another person who has a relative who works in the Deacon Club. They knew about this and were planning to announce Monday. The break in the story sent them all into frantic mode.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but no way that wouldn't have gotten out. Seems like Wellman and his cronies are trying to win the PR war one final time.

And if it is true, and the Wake brass kept it a secret for three months, that's even worse. Why should the general public ever trust them again?

This was a comment by somebody who has no connection to Wake Forest. Not really sure how this could be part of some grand PR move.

If you guys would pay more attention then maybe you’ll realize there’s a little more to it than Ron just randomly retiring.

I think it was the poster “loyal2afault” who posted something a couple days back that was overlooked by most of the boards. I won’t repeat it but I imagine that has a lot to do with it, in combination with his age, the fact this HAS been in the works for awhile, and he is indeed catching heat from some larger donors.

If you guys would pay more attention then maybe you’ll realize there’s a little more to it than Ron just randomly retiring.

I think it was the poster “loyal2afault” who posted something a couple days back that was overlooked by most of the boards. I won’t repeat it but I imagine that has a lot to do with it, in combination with his age, the fact this HAS been in the works for awhile, and he is indeed catching heat from some larger donors.

Apparently since early November.

Back