• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Rolling the quad to celebrate Wellman's retirement would be highly inappropriate and I hope no one gets that idea in their heads. Rolling the quad is supposed to be a positive celebration of athletic success. It should not be used as a cynical and negative statement about one person. Doing so cheapens the tradition. I can kind of understand rolling the quad when [Redacted] was fired, given the emotions at the time (and if I'm honest, my 19 or 20 year old self might have participated) but I hope such a thing never happens again.

Rolling the quad to celebrate Wellman's retirement would be highly inappropriate and I hope no one gets that idea in their heads. Rolling the quad is supposed to be a positive celebration of athletic success. It should not be used as a cynical and negative statement about one person. Doing so cheapens the tradition. I can kind of understand rolling the quad when [name redacted] was fired, given the emotions at the time (and if I'm honest, my 19 or 20 year old self might have participated) but I hope such a thing never happens again.

Ok, fine. Roll the quad to celebrate Currie's hiring...

Last edited:
Pretty sure no one cares enough to bother rolling the quad. Its been a gradual process of killing off student interest in even going to games so this change is likely barely a blip on their radar.

The NCAA tournament generates a billion dollars of revenue. No way they are letting that die.

True, but a part of my prediction is that the NCAA will cease to exist as we know it by that time. The paying players debate is going to continue to rage on, and in my opinion the NCAA signed its own death warrant by giving in and agreeing to compensation. With Title XI laws, and the increased pressure to increase player pay, many programs will have to shut down. The top football and basketball programs will break away and form a minor league system which isn't directed tied to the university in order to skirt Title XI, and I don't see Wake Forest fairly well in that environment.

With Title XI laws, and the increased pressure to increase player pay, many programs will have to shut down. The top football and basketball programs will break away and form a minor league system which isn't directed tied to the university in order to skirt Title XI, and I don't see Wake Forest fairly well in that environment.

Old title eleven, huh? You seem to have a great grasp of this...

True, but a part of my prediction is that the NCAA will cease to exist as we know it by that time. The paying players debate is going to continue to rage on, and in my opinion the NCAA signed its own death warrant by giving in and agreeing to compensation. With Title XI laws, and the increased pressure to increase player pay, many programs will have to shut down. The top football and basketball programs will break away and form a minor league system which isn't directed tied to the university in order to skirt Title XI, and I don't see Wake Forest fairly well in that environment.

The Title IX laws are incredibly easy to get around. Just let college players make money off of their likeness. The Universities don’t have to pay athletes, and thus don’t have to figure out how to pay athletes “fairly” across the board.

The Title IX laws are incredibly easy to get around. Just let college players make money off of their likeness. The Universities don’t have to pay athletes, and thus don’t have to figure out how to pay athletes “fairly” across the board.

This won't work, as it will allow a myriad of ways for rich donors and schools to legally promise and funnel money to recruits, which will create just a few super teams and all other programs will disband. The whole system will fall apart. That's why this has not already happened.

There are a few key principles that, in my opinion, inform this whole discussion: 1) They are student athletes, not employees. That's why they do not pay taxes. 2) Student athletes already receive a lot more benefits than almost everyone realizes - they are now receiving cost of living stipends. Zion's $8 million insurance policy? That was paid for by Duke at a cost of $50,000. The top student athletes are now very well compensated. 3) Obtaining an athletic scholarship is highly, highly desired for a reason - it is a great situation. That is why other countries (you can read about the UK or Japan's recent efforts) are trying to duplicate the system and/or sending their student athletes to the US. 4) The solution to almost all of the perceived problems is to allow athletes to go directly to professional leagues, if they do not want to go to college. That is happening with the NBA, already occurs with baseball and soccer, and will need to happen with football.

Matta lives outside Indianapolis, where his oldest daughter is a student at Butler and his youngest is a senior in high school

That last tidbit may change Thad Matta's willingness to live somewhere besides Indianapolis.

That last tidbit may change Thad Matta's willingness to live somewhere besides Indianapolis.

If she's currently a senior then she's graduating in what, 2 months? Mama can stay behind with the kid a couple months if need-be. Thad can get their new home situated in WS and the rest of the family can come on down in June.

As someone who has been vocally calling for Wellman to exit stage right for some time, I'm pretty stoked, but it gives me pause that the fan bases at both Tennessee and K-State are mocking this move. Seems like K-State fans are pissed he ran off Frank Martin, who was quite successfull, but is a huge asshole, in favor of Bruce Weber, who is a great coach, but pretty much the opposite of a sexy hire (quite successful 460–242 (.655), but bland and notoriously doesn't recruit the big time names), which proves the point that recruiting isn't the sine qua non of success that some here believe it to be, but I digress...

Seems like his time at Tennessee went not so wonderfully.

So is this just an uninspired, country club hire or are you actually excited about Currie as opposed to just being ecstatic that Wellman is finally gone?

I don't know much about aircraft, but I sure hope we could spring for a jet...

KSU basketball seems fine. They made the elite eight last year and are tied for the lead in the Big 12 with two games left. If that’s a contentious point for their fans I don’t know if we should care about those points of view either.

Back