• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

No reason to doubt sportsnut, but here's to hoping said "well placed source" doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the front-office or the same line as info as maybe he /she did BEFORE J.C. Plus, it just makes NO sense to not let Currie hire his own guy. The timing fits for getting a big name "splash" hire.

However, I would not be surprised if Manning were retained for, ahem, other reasons. Namely, fiscal constraints imposed by the dumb contract Wellman. It would be the MOST Wake Forest thing ever.

Please let nut's source be full of crapola. This program needs an enema!!

I again think that if WF was going to keep Manning, they'd have had Wellman do it and then announce the transition later (like in May or June) as that'd give Currie cover for not being able to make a move. But as it stands now, Currie is tied to what happens with WF Athletics, whether he is at the top yet or not. So keeping Manning around with Currie already at Wake is seemingly the worst option available. I just hope that someone at WF has the common sense not to ruin Currie before he even gets started.

Last edited:
Assuming the decision for Wellman to ride off into the sunset was agreed to in principle in November, it's possible the initial plan was to bring back Manning for a 6th year using the youth excuse and giving the new athletic director a year to evaluate.

But another bed shitting by Manning forced the PTB to call an audible and move towards his dismissal.

Looks like The Hound brought his grandma to the Louisville game.

5c7dab26aeac9.image.jpg

I chuckled at this. Nice.

Considering the constant claim here that Wellman's attitude is arrogant and without concern for the fans, a sensible approach just will not do. Thus I am saying the entire recent activity was solely because he decided to retire and wants to leave with praise while letting others handle the sticky Manning story. (Consider what would Manning or Currie do if Wake were to win 2 tournament games.) So Wellman will be allowed to remain "in charge" for what appears to be an odd time, while predicting Manning's eventual success - with Currie being handed any outcome. No doubt this will infuriate the fans, but he wont be part of that further. Supposedly he never had regard for the fans anyway. Why would Currie get himself into another firing scenario? He is mesmerized by Wake and Manning and the pay aint bad.
Regarding the delay to May 1, This ensures that Manning will not be fired by Currie. If he were to be fired, it makes more sense to fire promptly but if not fired, a delay to May 1 is probably waiting too late by Currie. And it gives Currie an excuse not to fire this year..

Having Wellman stay on until May 1 means Currie isn't officially in the position of firing two Deacon all-time greats who were his classmates in Childress and Hoover.

Having Wellman stay on until May 1 means Currie isn't officially in the position of firing two Deacon all-time greats who were his classmates in Childress and Hoover.

Hoover '91
Currie '93
Childress '96

Just for the record.

Yeah. He went to Wake at the same time as them. Remember Childress redshirted.

I again think that if WF was going to keep Manning, they'd have had Wellman do it and then announce the transition later (like in May or June) as that'd give Currie cover for not being able to make a move. But as it stands now, Currie is tied to what happens with WF Athletics, whether he is at the top yet or not. So keeping Manning around with Currie already at Wake is seemingly the worst option available. I just hope that someone at WF has the common sense not to ruin Currie before he even gets started.
We either keep Manning or go with an interim coach (Childress) for next year. Zero percent chance we make a real coaching move. Sorry guys.

We either keep Manning or go with an interim coach (Childress) for next year. Zero percent chance we make a real coaching move. Sorry guys.

How does the interim coach thing for a full year make any sense at all? At that point the coach is not really "interim".

This post will not age well.

Manning is gone guys. Calm the fuck down.

A near miss in Cameron should give Currie some nice ammo to recruit a new coach.

Back