• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman speaks...sort of

mothersodear

Reaction score
I wrote Wellman after the UVA debacle. I was frustrated and needed to vent. I respectfully outlined my concerns and pled with RW to make a change sooner rather than later. Surprisingly, I got a reply a few days later. It is most certainly a canned response but it fully reflects the frustrating arrogance and tone deafness our AD has exuded over the past couple of years. Really? This is the best he (aka one of his minions) can do? Hope he's watching our historically competitive play today.

Here is is...

Thanks for your thoughts about the status of our basketball program. Our basketball team is 11-4 with a very good win vs. UNC...and a very frustrating loss vs. UVA. Our stated goal this year is to return to our historical competitiveness and we are in good position to do exactly that. This can be a good year for us and I encourage you to support this young team in their efforts to re-establish our program to the level that we all desire.

Thanks again for your support. I look forward to cheering our team on to many victories with you this year.

Go Deacs!

Ron Wellman
Director of Athletics
Wake Forest University Athletics
PO Box 7265 | Winston-Salem, NC 27109
o (336) 758-5616 | f (336) 758-6090
www.WakeForestSports.com
@DemonDeacons | #GoDeacs

2 road games, 2 blow outs (soon to be 3 and 3). Gaudy record aside, this program is plainly not headed towards "historical competitiveness". Wellman has to know that.

2 road games, 2 blow outs (soon to be 3 and 3). Gaudy record aside, this program is plainly not headed towards "historical competitiveness". Wellman has to know that.

The conference record will bear this out. Wake people care enough about the conference that Wellman won't be able to gloss over our inevitably putrid ACC record by hiding behind an inflated overall record.

Last edited:
Still thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Go fuck yourself, Ron.

11-4 is about to be 11-5. Not going to be able to hide behind our record this season much longer.

And the 11 side of that 11-4 record sits atop a pile of cupcakes.

11-4 *

* Against several opponents who would lose to really good high school teams.

What the fuck is historical competitiveness? He invents this bullshit term with no meaning as a goal set for a team. Has anyone ever asked him what the fuck it means?

7 of our wins are against some of the worst teams imaginable. We have 1 win against a likely NIT team (UNC, don't see Richmond or St. Bonnie going). Zero wins against an NCAA tourney team. All at home by the way. Ron is a moron.

What the fuck is historical competitiveness? He invents this bullshit term with no meaning as a goal set for a team. Has anyone ever asked him what the fuck it means?

Wake hasn't been to a Final Four since 1962 or something like that. "Historically" speaking, nothing needs to happen to change that fact.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't want us to be historically competitive...I want to WIN. Makes me want to puke whenever he feeds us that line of crap.

Notice the lack of any mention of Bzz? I think the idea is to get through this year and bring someone one in a la Clawson as Bzz steps down with the thanks of RW for getting us back in position to compete again.

*Note that I'm not agreeing with the strategy; just saying that's what's going to happen.

Add me to the list of people who don't understand what "historical competitiveness" means.

Notice the lack of any mention of Bzz? I think the idea is to get through this year and bring someone one in a la Clawson as Bzz steps down with the thanks of RW for getting us back in position to compete again.

*Note that I'm not agreeing with the strategy; just saying that's what's going to happen.

That's exactly what's going to happen. Hopefully, in the Q&A, someone calls Wellman on his obvious blunder, but the spin machine will be in full force.

Is being historically competitive beating the bottom of division one teams at home , beating mediocre at best conference teams at home and getting absolutely abused by shit, mediocre and good teams on the road? That sounds to be uncompetitive to me but what the hell do I know.

That's exactly what's going to happen. Hopefully, in the Q&A, someone calls Wellman on his obvious blunder, but the spin machine will be in full force.

I want him fired so bad. He is the root of all the bullshit. Cannot stomach this mother f'er.

AD speak. Bzzz is gone at the end of the year barring a massive turnaround.

AD speak. Bzzz is gone at the end of the year barring a massive turnaround.

Why the hell is Wellman not gone at the end of the season too. Why is his job secure? He has done just as terrible of a job as Bzz.

That massive turnaround looks unlikely based on this weeks games.

Back