• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

I don't think the fanbase would be roundly supportive of hiring Childress as head coach. They'd be roundly supportive of Childress, but I can't see most people just assuming a guy with no coaching experience is the best we can do even if he is Randolph Childress.

Get Shaka Smart as HC and Chill as an asst.

We could round out the staff with Betty White and Tinkerbell, and it would still be the ballsiest staff in history.

Get Shaka Smart as HC and Chill as an asst.

We could round out the staff with Betty White and Tinkerbell, and it would still be the ballsiest staff in history.

Whoa BRO. Don't go dissin' my gurl Betty White.

I'm not sure Shaka would accept Chill as his top assistant. It's almost like hiring your replacement to sit next to you from your first day on the job.

On the flip side of that coin would be that we would just be a stepping stone for Shaka Smart.

I, for one, would be privileged if that boss of a man used WFU as a coaching stepping stone.

I'm not sure Shaka would accept Chill as his top assistant. It's almost like hiring your replacement to sit next to you from your first day on the job.

Who said he'd be the top assistant?
I mean clearly dv7 is already stumping for Betty White.

Chill doesn't take anything other than #2. His personna is way too big.

There is no way that Chill takes anything other than XYZ, because I want to make it seem like I know him personally. e-cred.

At this point, it seems rj has more coaching experience than Childress. Hiring Childress without any previous coaching experience to clean up Bzz's mess would be a disaster. Limited chance of success and near guarantee that his legacy would be tarnished.

Chill as head coach and rj as his bench coach would be ideal. Ron, make it happen.

He gets to keep Grobe, for the time being. Penn State expected to name Bill O'brien the new HC

Chill doesn't take anything other than #2. His personna is way too big.

True. But I'd like to seem him give coaching a go. I think with the Euro experience he'd make a hell of a coach. He'd have to learn the recruiting ropes though. I'm not even sure he'd give a shit about anything other than the gym.

True. But I'd like to seem him give coaching a go. I think with the Euro experience he'd make a hell of a coach. He'd have to learn the recruiting ropes though. I'm not even sure he'd give a shit about anything other than the gym.

Nah, RJKarl knows Randolph Childress personally, did you see that completely declarative statement he made? The man absolutely knows what he is talking about!

To say otherwise would mean you think he is full of complete shit.

Nah, RJKarl knows Randolph Childress personally, did you see that completely declarative statement he made? The man absolutely knows what he is talking about!

To say otherwise would mean you think he is full of complete shit.

Now, dv7, rj and I normally see eye to eye on hoops. Politics is another matter, which is why I have given up that bullshit. But from time to time I have to qualify his remarks.

I would love to see Chill, whom I met several times when he was a student when I worked at Wake (obligatory name drop), coach.

But the reality is he has zero experience. His current job will give him little to none. If he wants to follow that path he could hook up with a lot of coaches who respected him as a player and know that Euro experience does count. Chill may not know the American recruiting path but I'm sure he has a lot of contacts across the pond.

So, who knows. He's still my favorite Deac. And if he coached Saturday I would buy season tickets.

Having said all that bullshit, I think an NBA team would be crazy not to hire him as a Euro scout. He played against all of them.

It is essentially the same thing that you are all saying, but I fear the day when our hoops program sucks and we have no choice but to blame Chill. That is as good an argument as any to be thoroughly patient with any RC move.

I think it would be tough for Wellman to pressure Shaka (or most young coaches) into taking Chill from his office to the bench. It would be natural for anyone to think someone is looking over their shoulder in such a situation.

I think it would be more likely for Chill to be on the bench with an established coach. One who is not going to be intimidated.

Dirk, DV7 is jealous that anyone can have a civil, rational discussion.

I think it would be tough for Wellman to pressure Shaka (or most young coaches) into taking Chill from his office to the bench. It would be natural for anyone to think someone is looking over their shoulder in such a situation.

I think it would be more likely for Chill to be on the bench with an established coach. One who is not going to be intimidated.

Dirk, DV7 is jealous that anyone can have a civil, rational discussion.

rj, dv7 aside, i was really talking about chill's prospects outside wake. it would be a monumental error to hire chill to coach wake at this point. It would make the Sidney Lowe hire look like EMCsquared. All I am saying is Randolph has a unique insight into Euroball and he's a hell of a competitor. I'm wondering if his value might be more appreciated at the NBA level. I have no idea.

What I was saying in my previous post was in regard to Chill starting as an assistant.

There's no way he'd be Sidney Lowe. Sidney was a moron and not 1/10 the competitor Chill is.

Randolph has been saying for years that he wanted to be a coach. I'd be stunned if he isn't extremely well prepared. He's spoken about college coaching not pros.

Plus it's very likely he doesn't have the contacts in the NBA. It would take him forever to become an NBA coach.

The key may be what happens to Battle this year. He could easily get another job. I can't see that not being Randolph's slot.

The key may be what happens to Battle this year. He could easily get another job. I can't see that not being Randolph's slot.

You really think he would jump on Bzz's sinking ship? I give him enough credit to see that's not a solid path to much of anything unless Wellman has somehow made a behind closed door promise that the job is his. Even that would seem a very unwise move to take your first job in the ACC trying to right your alma mater's ship that has been driven into an iceberg. Talk about a legacy killer...

Last edited:
Back