• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WellmanIn or WellmanOut?

Should Ron Wellman be fired?

• Total voters
Congrats, Ron. You've finally found a way to unite the fanbase.

Those were LOOOOOONG months.

I realize that there's at least one or two parodies in the five Wellman-In votes, but I'm going to need to hear some sort of justification for keeping Wellman at this point.

I realize that there's at least one or two parodies in the five Wellman-In votes, but I'm going to need to hear some sort of justification for keeping Wellman at this point.

Check out the "Air Banner Message" thread. Someone provides their reasoning as to why Ron should stay.

Think my hashtag says it all. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Ron...

"Mr. Wellman, what do you think your approval rating is among the fan base? 50%? 30%?"

"Oh, I don't know. I don't worry about that stuff. I've sure got my own approval rating though!"

Last edited:
202-7. Looks like Lobo conjured up a meaningless touchdown for Wellman.

This.

I guess I can understand how one can articulate an argument as to why they feel Wellman is a good A.D. However, that's a far different question than whether Wellman should still be Wake Forest's A.D. In many relationships, business and personal, there are times where it's in the best interest of both parties to separate. Clearly, Wellman's presence at Wake has now turned into a negative for our Athletic Department, and as an extension, our University. Whether one feels that is justified or not, is no longer the issue. The negativity surrounding his leadership is so pervasive I truly believe he can no longer do any good at Wake Forest. Certainly winning (and, in particular, winning in football and men's basketball) cures a lot of ills. But, both programs are so far from recovery that it is a virtual impossibility for Wellman to transform his now tarnished perception. And it is that perception that has created our reality that Ron Wellman is a detriment to our Athletic Department and will be for the foreseeable future. There is no other rational decision other than to part ways.

I think Wellman WAS once a very good AD and used to be one of the best in the business.

I also think Wellman currently IS a terrible AD and is the cancer that is destroying our two main athletic programs.

The reasons for his decline are multifactorial, but I think the it's primarily rooted in complatency and ego. When Wellman started he was energetic, young and hungry. He was great with personal relationships and genuinely cared about the little guy. Being AD was a new exciting thing for him and he worked his ass off bettering Wake Forest athletics for a long time.

This all gradually changed over time. He's been in the same job nearly 25 years. It's not new and exciting. He's already had unparalled success at Wake during his tenure. He's near the end of his career. That same drive and energy is gone. He's so firmly entrenched in the system now and has become part of the establishment. He has nothing to prove to anyone. He has no motivation for job perfomance. He's been told by so many people for so long that he is very good at his job (which he was) that he sincerely believes it to a fault now and thinks he is God's gift to athletic directors and every decision he makes must be correct. He works with no real fear of consequence for any decision that he makes. And even if he were removed tomorrow it wouldn't really matter to him. He has mailed it in and it riding out the last few years before retirement.

Wake desparately needs a new AD, preferably from the outside.

What's the end game if the screamers get what they think they want? If Ron Wellman comes back from lunch this afternoon, fires [Redacted] (the worst basketball coach in school history) for incompetence, fires Grobe (the best football coach in school history) for staff loyalty, fires the AD finance director (for past indescretions), then resigns effective immediately, what then? You have won.

What have you won? What is the level of the expectation for the new AD? What is the expectation for the new football coach? Is it reasonable to assume that someone new and fresh with no university connections will be able to achieve all that has been accomplished by Grobe and Wellman? How long does the new guy have to fill Wellman's legacy? How many seasons before the football coach is expected to overcome 2 national powers and compete for a division title, let alone a conference championship?

The athletic department, by and large, is respected and admired throughout the country. The football team is not bad for Wake Forest, it's above the norm for the last 50 years. Most independent viewers see the job Jim Grobe has done as quite remarkable. He is guilty of overachieving and raising expectations perhaps beyond the true capacity of the program.

Ron Wellman is guilty of hiring a bad basketball coach and standing behind that decision perhaps longer than he should. Otherwise his period of service is beyond reproach. He's raised tons of money, built and bought top flight facilities, and expanded the overall footprint of Wake Forest University. He has been an excellent administrator.

Most importantly he stands behind his decisions and his people. He recognizes this decision is on his shoulders and he's willing to burn significant personal capital to let the situation play out. That's commendable.

I had my say on the [Redacted] issue. I made my point prominently and I put my money where my mouth was. Ron Wellman made his decision and then he did an unprecedented publicity tour to explain and defend his decision. I disagree with his opinion and his decision. But I'm an adult, it was his decision to make and he did. Time will tell which of us was right.

Face it, had Ron Wellman not hired Jeff [Redacted] and defended his hire, not a single one here would have a complaint with his administration. One bad decision does not make a bad administrator. It makes one human.

You do not cut off your head because you have a broken nose.

That is why I (and the vast majority of pre1995 alumni) stand behind Ron Wellman.

It's like joeyd is posting from a time machine set in 2012.

nod.gif

A new coach might not reach Grobe's peak, but there's a great chance he would reach where Grobe is right now, and a good chance he could exceed it. This was supposed to be "the year" for Grobe, with a senior QB, a senior star receiver, and a senior star defensive leader, and we're now 2-2 against a really weak slate. I am not worried at all about the next guy matching that.

What's the end game if the screamers get what they think they want? If Ron Wellman comes back from lunch this afternoon, fires [Redacted] (the worst basketball coach in school history) for incompetence, fires Grobe (the best football coach in school history) for staff loyalty, fires the AD finance director (for past indescretions), then resigns effective immediately, what then? You have won.

What have you won? What is the level of the expectation for the new AD? What is the expectation for the new football coach? Is it reasonable to assume that someone new and fresh with no university connections will be able to achieve all that has been accomplished by Grobe and Wellman? How long does the new guy have to fill Wellman's legacy? How many seasons before the football coach is expected to overcome 2 national powers and compete for a division title, let alone a conference championship?

The athletic department, by and large, is respected and admired throughout the country. The football team is not bad for Wake Forest, it's above the norm for the last 50 years. Most independent viewers see the job Jim Grobe has done as quite remarkable. He is guilty of overachieving and raising expectations perhaps beyond the true capacity of the program.

Ron Wellman is guilty of hiring a bad basketball coach and standing behind that decision perhaps longer than he should. Otherwise his period of service is beyond reproach. He's raised tons of money, built and bought top flight facilities, and expanded the overall footprint of Wake Forest University. He has been an excellent administrator.

Most importantly he stands behind his decisions and his people. He recognizes this decision is on his shoulders and he's willing to burn significant personal capital to let the situation play out. That's commendable.

I had my say on the [Redacted] issue. I made my point prominently and I put my money where my mouth was. Ron Wellman made his decision and then he did an unprecedented publicity tour to explain and defend his decision. I disagree with his opinion and his decision. But I'm an adult, it was his decision to make and he did. Time will tell which of us was right.

Face it, had Ron Wellman not hired Jeff [Redacted] and defended his hire, not a single one here would have a complaint with his administration. One bad decision does not make a bad administrator. It makes one human.

You do not cut off your head because you have a broken nose.

That is why I (and the vast majority of pre1995 alumni) stand behind Ron Wellman.

Would love to see the breakdown on this (not just on the boards, but everywhere). I do not believe you are correct.

But he did hire Jeff [Redacted], and our flagship program descended into the current disaster. Worse, Wellman has led the charge to retain [Redacted] and has justified his retention with atrocious logic and condescending nonsense.

Allegedly, [Redacted] even offered to resign on at least one occasion, which Wellman refused to accept. If true, that defeats any argument that firing [Redacted] corrects some minor mishap in hiring him. But even if not true, the fact of the hiring and subsequent activity is no better.

Last edited:
Cheese, that is the best of the GIFs that have been posted over the last week or so.

Back