• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WellmanIn or WellmanOut?

Should Ron Wellman be fired?

• Total voters
What's the end game if the screamers get what they think they want? If Ron Wellman comes back from lunch this afternoon, fires [Redacted] (the worst basketball coach in school history) for incompetence, fires Grobe (the best football coach in school history) for staff loyalty, fires the AD finance director (for past indescretions), then resigns effective immediately, what then? You have won.

What have you won? What is the level of the expectation for the new AD? What is the expectation for the new football coach? Is it reasonable to assume that someone new and fresh with no university connections will be able to achieve all that has been accomplished by Grobe and Wellman? How long does the new guy have to fill Wellman's legacy? How many seasons before the football coach is expected to overcome 2 national powers and compete for a division title, let alone a conference championship?

The athletic department, by and large, is respected and admired throughout the country. The football team is not bad for Wake Forest, it's above the norm for the last 50 years. Most independent viewers see the job Jim Grobe has done as quite remarkable. He is guilty of overachieving and raising expectations perhaps beyond the true capacity of the program.

Ron Wellman is guilty of hiring a bad basketball coach and standing behind that decision perhaps longer than he should. Otherwise his period of service is beyond reproach. He's raised tons of money, built and bought top flight facilities, and expanded the overall footprint of Wake Forest University. He has been an excellent administrator.

Most importantly he stands behind his decisions and his people. He recognizes this decision is on his shoulders and he's willing to burn significant personal capital to let the situation play out. That's commendable.

I had my say on the [Redacted] issue. I made my point prominently and I put my money where my mouth was. Ron Wellman made his decision and then he did an unprecedented publicity tour to explain and defend his decision. I disagree with his opinion and his decision. But I'm an adult, it was his decision to make and he did. Time will tell which of us was right.

Face it, had Ron Wellman not hired Jeff [Redacted] and defended his hire, not a single one here would have a complaint with his administration. One bad decision does not make a bad administrator. It makes one human.

You do not cut off your head because you have a broken nose.

That is why I (and the vast majority of pre1995 alumni) stand behind Ron Wellman.

Someone submit this post as the example for LOWF in the Oxford Dictionary

Or someone could answer the questions....

What would the expectation of a new AD be?
What would the expectation of a new football coach be?
What would the time frame be for these expectations?

You see I'm against taking blind leaps of faith. If the expectations are reasonable and the current administrators are incapable of meeting or exceeding those expectations, it's time for a change.

Until you can reasonably define what an acceptable level of athletic achievement for a school of Wake Forest's stature is, you can't possibly judge whether or not those currently in position have or are failing.

I can easily define the expectation of a new basketball coach.

1. make the program relevant both in conference and nationally.
2. sign and retain highly rated recruits.
3. be +.500 in conference year in and year out.
4. consistently make postseason play (primarily the NCAA tournament)

Jeff [Redacted] has failed in every aspect.

What's the end game if the screamers get what they think they want? If Ron Wellman comes back from lunch this afternoon, fires [Redacted] (the worst basketball coach in school history) for incompetence, fires Grobe (the best football coach in school history) for staff loyalty, fires the AD finance director (for past indescretions), then resigns effective immediately, what then? You have won.

What have you won? What is the level of the expectation for the new AD? What is the expectation for the new football coach? Is it reasonable to assume that someone new and fresh with no university connections will be able to achieve all that has been accomplished by Grobe and Wellman? How long does the new guy have to fill Wellman's legacy? How many seasons before the football coach is expected to overcome 2 national powers and compete for a division title, let alone a conference championship?

The athletic department, by and large, is respected and admired throughout the country. The football team is not bad for Wake Forest, it's above the norm for the last 50 years. Most independent viewers see the job Jim Grobe has done as quite remarkable. He is guilty of overachieving and raising expectations perhaps beyond the true capacity of the program.

Ron Wellman is guilty of hiring a bad basketball coach and standing behind that decision perhaps longer than he should. Otherwise his period of service is beyond reproach. He's raised tons of money, built and bought top flight facilities, and expanded the overall footprint of Wake Forest University. He has been an excellent administrator.

Most importantly he stands behind his decisions and his people. He recognizes this decision is on his shoulders and he's willing to burn significant personal capital to let the situation play out. That's commendable.

I had my say on the [Redacted] issue. I made my point prominently and I put my money where my mouth was. Ron Wellman made his decision and then he did an unprecedented publicity tour to explain and defend his decision. I disagree with his opinion and his decision. But I'm an adult, it was his decision to make and he did. Time will tell which of us was right.

Face it, had Ron Wellman not hired Jeff [Redacted] and defended his hire, not a single one here would have a complaint with his administration. One bad decision does not make a bad administrator. It makes one human.

You do not cut off your head because you have a broken nose.

That is why I (and the vast majority of pre1995 alumni) stand behind Ron Wellman.

Posts like this show why businesses should never make decisions based on sunk costs.

You see I'm against taking blind leaps of faith.

I agree.

I'm against an AD taking a blind leap of faith by firing a 61-31 coach without even a mediocre replacement lined up. Moreover, I'm against an AD taking a blind leap of faith by firing a coach for the stated reason of post-season failures and hiring a coach who had never won a NCAA tournament game (partly because he only coached 1 NCAA game).

I agree.

Last edited:

correct. had ron wellman not hired [Redacted] and then orchestrated the shit show that has been happening since very few people would have taken the head out of the sand and actually looked around. it may have started as "one bad decision" but it was an historically bad decision compounded by so many arrogant and delusional mistakes after the fact. slowly but surely 95% of alumni and fans that were saying "in wellman we trust" just a few years ago began asking themselves and each other "why do we trust him so much after this mess?" it really looks like ron wellman has shown his true colors over the last few years rather than hiding them the preceding 20. his true colors don't look so great and certainly don't represent the way just about every graduate and fan thinks about wake forest.

it's time for ron wellman to go whether he wants to or not.

Last edited:
Or someone could answer the questions....

What would the expectation of a new AD be?
What would the expectation of a new football coach be?
What would the time frame be for these expectations?

You see I'm against taking blind leaps of faith. If the expectations are reasonable and the current administrators are incapable of meeting or exceeding those expectations, it's time for a change.

Until you can reasonably define what an acceptable level of athletic achievement for a school of Wake Forest's stature is, you can't possibly judge whether or not those currently in position have or are failing.

I can easily define the expectation of a new basketball coach.

1. make the program relevant both in conference and nationally.
2. sign and retain highly rated recruits.
3. be +.500 in conference year in and year out.
4. consistently make postseason play (primarily the NCAA tournament)

Jeff [Redacted] has failed in every aspect.

You act as if [Redacted] is the only poor coaching decision Wellman has made.

Cheese, that is the best of the GIFs that have been posted over the last week or so.
It was posted in the MLB thread. If anyone other than me remembers Riley Swanson's INT against UCONN in the end zone where the back judge did the same over confident head bob before signaling TD it would be you. You probably didn't see the play at first that Bucknor called out but he was way wrong.

Countdown to generic "TheReff" post. ACC championships blah blah Gamecocks blah blah blah.

TBR, pardon me for still trying to figure out the reasons for wanting to fire a baseball coach who had 3 ACC titles, a 608-382 overall record at Wake Forest, 5 consecutive 40+ win seasons after only his first losing season in 8 years? Only to be replaced by a guy who goes 142-142 and has a .41 winning record in the ACC. My bad.

Back