• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wells Fargo Championship

Nicklaus had an average wedge game when he was 23. Rory is going to be winning majors for the next two decades. He shares Nicklaus' competitiveness. He hates to lose. We're going to witness some great golf in the coming years from several of these young players. Rory is head and shoulders above the rest.

I agree, if his swing can hold up. The drive on 18 with a 3 metal was insane. But so was the stat they gave regarding the degree of his hip turn. That is very hard on the back. A lot will depend on how his body endures that kind of contortion.

^ I think the stat on the hip turn was just that he accelerates at an unbelievable rate toward the ball once he has gotten set on his backswing. Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

The big difference in Rory and the young Nicklaus is Jack generated power with his legs, not the speed of his hip rotation (Rory starts his move with his arms and whips his hips... Nicklaus was almost the opposite). So, Jack didn't set himself up for potential back problems to the extent Rory could (but Jack still had back problems off and on). But the physical condition players today keep themselves in is another factor. Rory has gotten himself into great shape. He trains and his flexibility is way beyond what Jack's was at that age. It's a whole different world now. But their engine is similar. They both have similar leg strength and power around the waist. And what is becoming very obvious is that Rory, like Jack, can blow the ball by his competitors on demand. He doesn't always try to, but like Jack, he can. I see a lot of similarities. Not to say Rory will come close to Nicklaus in wins but he has the tools.

Depends what you consider "close". He won the Honda Classic in March by 2-strokes over Tom Gillis and Tiger Woods. He had a 2-stroke lead going into Sunday and shot 69 to win.

Well there you go. Not a huge tournament, but he did win a close one. It will be interesting to see how he holds up on Sunday in the next close major.

Right now Rory overpowers golf courses. The next stage needs to be fine-tuning some finesse shots.

Back