• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Were you sober when you got married?

meh

• sober as a judge

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • buzzed--booze

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • drunk

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • booze and the drugs

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • just the drugs

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • i am a dwarf: forever alone

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • other

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would be a nice point if you weren't wrong. You're making the same mistake as Hollywood - not knowing what you're talking about.

Tv/movie weddings are based on the way things used to be, in a much more misogynistic culture. The Church (as in the suggestion I made) has advocated a newer understanding that jives better with culture and more "liberal" theology. But culture is the one hanging on to older and outdated traditions, not the church.

Nice try though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If the culture was really changing, then why do "clergy have to fight Hollywood"? Hollywood is the ultimate expression of current culture.

If the culture was really changing, then why do "clergy have to fight Hollywood"? Hollywood is the ultimate expression of current culture.

Does Hollywood do any research to say "is this how weddings are still being done in the church?" No. They simply go with the "standard" tv wedding. Read (most) any NYTimes (or any news outlet) when they have a religion article, then compare it to an actual peer reviewed religious article in a journal. Mainstream doesn't know what they're talking about.

But this is convenient for the naysayers out there. It's really easy to dismiss Christianity/religion when it fits into the little box that you've made for it- outdated, sexist, raping altar boys. And to be fair, there is a large sector of Christianity in the US that fits into that box. The straw men that are formed are often true. But that isn't the sort of Christianity that I believe in or preach, and it certainly isn't the sort of faith espoused by Jesus. Yea, some of us have really screwed it up, but that's an indictment against lazy/stupid/hypocritical people, not Christianity. And (by and large) that isn't the sort of straw man/weak Christianity that you'll find in the Episcopal Church (and some other mainlines, such as Lutheran-ELCA). But as in anything, it's easier to attack without understanding and attack a caricature instead of actually debating the substance of the real deal.

2 or 3 beers with my groomsmen before the ceremony. Pictures taken right after the ceremony, so we didn't have to show up too early.

Back