• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

If Wes Miller was such a good coach why in the heck did UNC not hire him?? they chose a guy who has zero head coaching experience over him. donaldross by your logic Bubba Cunningham and the UNC base is dumb cause they didn’t hire Wes.

BTW i think Wes is a solid coach, i also think hiring Wes 11 years ago would of been bat shit crazy. Wake has sucked the last 11 years but its not because we didnt hire an assistant from Elon 11 years ago by the name of Wes Miller, donald ross i can see why you’re a good lawyer cause you spew bullshit out of your mouth and always think you’re right no matter how delusional it is.

I remember the general consensus of the board was that we ended up with either Forbes or Wes Miller it would have been a good choice.

Hiring Wes Miller 10 years ago would have been stupid for us and stupid for his career

If Wes Miller was such a good coach why in the heck did UNC not hire him?? they chose a guy who has zero head coaching experience over him. donaldross by your logic Bubba Cunningham and the UNC base is dumb cause they didn’t hire Wes.

I mean, I disagree with a lot of DR's Wes takes, but I see a lot of validity in this take.

And let's be clear the safe Wake Forest elitist move would have been to hire the son of a major benefactor over the working man coach like Steve Forbes. I am glad we went against the grain and am interested to see where it takes us.

UNC is dumb not because they didn't hire Wes, but because they appeared not to look at all the coaches available to them as a top-3 job nationally

from what I gather, they looked at the Brad Stephens and Billy Donavon type guys, maybe even the Jay Wright and Mark Few tier, and once they struck out, they didn't look much at the college ranks

And they don’t care enough about it to fix it...But when they weigh in on things they know nothing about it holds back this team.

So our alums both don't really care about basketball AND have huge influence on the AD when it comes to basketball decisions.

Interesting.

I mean, I disagree with a lot of DR's Wes takes, but I see a lot of validity in this take.

Ok so every AD and school that passed on Wes Miller the past 11 years is dumb, that better for ya?

UNC is dumb not because they didn't hire Wes, but because they appeared not to look at all the coaches available to them as a top-3 job nationally

from what I gather, they looked at the Brad Stephens and Billy Donavon type guys, maybe even the Jay Wright and Mark Few tier, and once they struck out, they didn't look much at the college ranks

I went and looked at the top 50 Kenpom teams from this season and looked at the coaches they could have targeted (I think the post is somewhere on the Roy or Carousel thread)... The ONLY guys that were interesting were Wright, Few, Beard, and Oats. Beard quickly went to Texas, so he was out. Oats, I guess, just not a good fit (or too big of a buyout with new deal). Few & Wright not interested.

I don't know who the other names are. There really aren't many top tier guys in college that you'd target. Maybe Mack? Who else?

Ok so every AD and school that passed on Wes Miller the past 11 years is dumb, that better for ya?

Except a lot didn't pass. Wake was particularly dumb given his ties and, therefore that he might stay forever.

Likewise I do think UNC made a mistake as well as do most of their players over several generations. But isn't the fact that this guy was the second choice at UNC and now hired by a better program than us seems pretty telling. Particularly to all those dozens of posts over years (and recently) "see...no one else is even considering him." Ooops on that.

Last edited:
Also you are talking about like 5-10 alums here, the AD gives two shits about donor micro transactions, those don’t really move the needle in the decision making process. As routinely seen here where Racer and others were laughed at for pulling their deacon club donations over the last 10 years because what’s it going to do people said.

We’ve sucked in bball the last 11 years cause Ron Wellman made 2 of the worst coaching hires in ACC history, not because of our fanbase, not because of our stadium, not because of message boards, not because of our donors and def not cause we didnt hire Wes Miller.

Except a lot didn't pass. Wake was particularly dumb given his ties and, therefore that he might stay forever.

Likewise I do think UNC made a mistake as well as do most of their players over several generations. But isn't the fact that this guy was the second choice at UNC and now hired by a better program than us seems pretty telling. Particularly to all those dozens of posts over years (and recently) "see...no one else is even considering him." Ooops on that.

Technically every job that has been open the past 11 years has passed on Miller so its not only Wake and UNC that passed on him. You’re basically saying Cincy is smart and everyone else is dumb. If Wake is dumb for passing on Miller so is UNC and everyone else, your argument can’t only be Wake is dumb blah blah.

In this thread, DR tells Shah, Sutton, Flow, and McCreary they are all idiots.

:noidea: maybe he is right?

Donaldross is basically blaming everyone except the actual guy that is at fault for why we’ve sucked the last 11 years and that is Ron Wellman.

I went and looked at the top 50 Kenpom teams from this season and looked at the coaches they could have targeted (I think the post is somewhere on the Roy or Carousel thread)... The ONLY guys that were interesting were Wright, Few, Beard, and Oats. Beard quickly went to Texas, so he was out. Oats, I guess, just not a good fit (or too big of a buyout with new deal). Few & Wright not interested.

I don't know who the other names are. There really aren't many top tier guys in college that you'd target. Maybe Mack? Who else?

it's a good point, but when the alternative is Hubert Davis, the list of guys I'd rather have is long

Yeah I looked back and people were definitely running Wes down. No reason for Wake or Wes to explore the opportunity all that seriously if it'll piss the fan base off (especially after [name redacted]).

People run Wes down out of reaction to DR. That's just the truth. I know DR, I like DR (in person). I think his posting style sucks and I think his insistence that he "knew" Wes was a winner 11+ years ago is silly. And I think it's exactly for that reason that people run Wes down. They're just baiting DR or reacting to him.

Last edited:

You never know what to believe, but there were rumors circulating that Mark Few and Billy Donovan were interested (Oats too), but that UNC alumni particularly former players, including Jordan and Roy, put on the hard sell for Davis which just made it impossible to go against and hire anyone else. Also, sorry, but I will never believe that UNC basketball hired Hubert Davis because no one else was interested. If UNC was ready to make a big push they probably could've hired almost anyone they wanted. The Hubert Davis hire was not made because of lack of interest in the coaching fraternity.

FWIW, the same thing is likely to happen with Duke when K goes. Duke will have money and gravitas to hire essentially anyone they want, but K and the former Duke players are going to want a Dookie to get the job, and inevitably the Duke hire (IMO Amaker) will not live up to expectation because Duke didn't hire the best available candidate.

Round and round we go with DR. everyone’s calling out the same stupid point they always call out (that it’d have been dumb to hire a 20 year old low major assistant - obviously) and DR dodging that obvious point with his usual deflection that we (not him of course) are to blame for [Redacted] and Manning (and OCA, etc etc). Story as old as the boards. Older even.

It makes perfect sense. The Don of Greensboro has been saying for a decade that HOF Wes should get an ACC job. His resume has yet to warrant that. Gotta move those goal posts every year.

I do agree that the big money at Wake enabled ronnie to run the bball program into the ground with poor selfish decisions. It was not the rank and file fans. Though a few of you held on a little to long to belief in ronnie.

Cincinnati fans should be excited that Wes and daddy warbucks are swooping in to save they day... program.

True all that. Well-Man ran the basketball program & baseball programs totally into the ground. One of the biggest mistakes for basketball was years ago though and it came from Coach Skip Prosser. For whatever reason, Skip chose NOT to take Wes coming here as a preferred walkon?? Now tell any of us what reason he would have had for not doing that? Great shooter and coming to us at no cost from the Dad who is a most prominent alumna. Then you would not have had him going to JMU & then to UNC and doing all the rest.

Back