• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Donaldross is basically blaming everyone except the actual guy that is at fault for why we’ve sucked the last 11 years and that is Ron Wellman.

This. I was okay with either Forbes or Wes at the time, and their resumes were similar. Still not sure the extent to which either Forbes or Miller would be able to get the program to rebound after the hole that Wellman, name redacted and Danny dug. But I do wish Wes success at Cincy and will be interested to see how well he, Justin Gray and Kelsey do at their new stops.

Lost in the shuffle here is DR calling out Forbes’s health. Is he just assuming because Forbes is a bigger guy?

Lost in the shuffle here is DR calling out Forbes’s health. Is he just assuming because Forbes is a bigger guy?

Guessing that DR is projecting his own health issues on to Forbesy given DR's struggles with his waistline.

I was going to suggest that DR should learn how to use alumnus and alumni like an adult and then I saw this. Probably better just to sound like a child

Dad who is a most prominent alumna.

Yo reff, I thought you were anti-trans rights? What gives?

Donaldross is basically blaming everyone except the actual guy that is at fault for why we’ve sucked the last 11 years and that is Ron Wellman.

i mock DR as much as anyone and think he's a pompous windbag, but he had said a million times that wellman sucks, and I suspect he has said it to Wellman directly.

We’ve sucked in bball the last 11 years cause Ron Wellman made 2 of the worst coaching hires in ACC history, not because of our fanbase, not because of our stadium, not because of message boards, not because of our donors and def not cause we didnt hire Wes Miller.

/end thread.

I guarantee you that DR is talking out of his ass and has exactly zero insight into Forbe's health other than looking at him. That being said, Forbes did say in his presser that he is in the Get Right program as well.

You never know what to believe, but there were rumors circulating that Mark Few and Billy Donovan were interested (Oats too), but that UNC alumni particularly former players, including Jordan and Roy, put on the hard sell for Davis which just made it impossible to go against and hire anyone else. Also, sorry, but I will never believe that UNC basketball hired Hubert Davis because no one else was interested. If UNC was ready to make a big push they probably could've hired almost anyone they wanted. The Hubert Davis hire was not made because of lack of interest in the coaching fraternity.

FWIW, the same thing is likely to happen with Duke when K goes. Duke will have money and gravitas to hire essentially anyone they want, but K and the former Duke players are going to want a Dookie to get the job, and inevitably the Duke hire (IMO Amaker) will not live up to expectation because Duke didn't hire the best available candidate.

I agree with this except I don't think Duke will hire Amaker. He's 55 years old now and it doesn't look like K is retiring any time soon. So I doubt they would hire a coach approaching or past 60 when he finally does step down.

I guarantee you that DR is talking out of his ass and has exactly zero insight into Forbe's health other than looking at him. That being said, Forbes did say in his presser that he is in the Get Right program as well.

I would guess any Wake coach would have their heart health top of mind

I would hope everyone but DR can agree on a few basics:

1. Eleven years ago, hiring Wes would have been an absurd move that reeked of cronyism.
2. Eleven years ago, Ron Wellman made a different absurd move that reeked of cronyism.
3. Eleven years ago, Ron Wellman should have hired a better candidate than Wes or [Redacted].
4. Seven years ago, Ron Wellman should have hired a better candidate than Wes or Manning.
5. One year ago, Currie could have hired Wes, but made a good hire in Forbes.
6. Good luck to Wes unless he plays Wake or eventually ends up at UNC or Duke.
7. If Wes succeeds at Cincy and Forbes leaves Wake, we'd be happy to hire Wes.

People run Wes down out of reaction to DR. That's just the truth. I know DR, I like DR (in person). I think his posting style sucks and I think his insistence that he "knew" Wes was a winner 11+ years ago is silly. And I think it's exactly for that reason that people run Wes down. They're just baiting DR or reacting to him.

Be that as it may, my point stands.

Did we actually interview Wes last here or at least was it ever officially confirmed that he was interested? I just don’t recall.

True all that. Well-Man ran the basketball program & baseball programs totally into the ground. One of the biggest mistakes for basketball was years ago though and it came from Coach Skip Prosser. For whatever reason, Skip chose NOT to take Wes coming here as a preferred walkon?? Now tell any of us what reason he would have had for not doing that? Great shooter and coming to us at no cost from the Dad who is a most prominent alumna. Then you would not have had him going to JMU & then to UNC and doing all the rest.

I've never understood that move. It is not as though you're giving a PWO spot to a kid that can't play. He was a scholarship player at JMU.

PH summarizes well the Wake Forest position. His last point is the most comical of all. Yea, Mack & Miller are gonna rattle off Sweet 16s at top tier jobs & then be interested in coming to Wake flippin Forest.

The delusion is real.

What I said.

I would hope everyone but DR can agree on a few basics:

1. Eleven years ago, hiring Wes would have been an absurd move that reeked of cronyism.
2. Eleven years ago, Ron Wellman made a different absurd move that reeked of cronyism.
3. Eleven years ago, Ron Wellman should have hired a better candidate than Wes or [name redacted].
4. Seven years ago, Ron Wellman should have hired a better candidate than Wes or Manning.
5. One year ago, Currie could have hired Wes, but made a good hire in Forbes.
6. Good luck to Wes unless he plays Wake or eventually ends up at UNC or Duke.
7. If Wes succeeds at Cincy and Forbes leaves Wake, we'd be happy to hire Wes.

What DR saw:
PH summarizes well the Wake Forest position. His last point is the most comical of all. Yea, Mack & Miller are gonna rattle off Sweet 16s at top tier jobs & then be interested in coming to Wake flippin Forest.

The delusion is real.

Yes, the delusion is real.

Talking about our next coach is kind of ridiculous... It 100% depends on how Forbes leaves the program.

If he has success here, he elevates the position of Wake Forest head coach for the next hire.

If he struggles, I think it makes things even more dire. Because if someone like Forbes can't do it, who can?

Back