• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Oh shit ! Somebody rear ended Wes Miller at a stop light ! THAT SOB IS GOING TO PAY !!!

are you sure they are not just trying to find a way to sue the deacon club for standing in the way of hof wes getting the wake job?

You never know what to believe, but there were rumors circulating that Mark Few and Billy Donovan were interested (Oats too), but that UNC alumni particularly former players, including Jordan and Roy, put on the hard sell for Davis which just made it impossible to go against and hire anyone else. Also, sorry, but I will never believe that UNC basketball hired Hubert Davis because no one else was interested. If UNC was ready to make a big push they probably could've hired almost anyone they wanted. The Hubert Davis hire was not made because of lack of interest in the coaching fraternity.

FWIW, the same thing is likely to happen with Duke when K goes. Duke will have money and gravitas to hire essentially anyone they want, but K and the former Duke players are going to want a Dookie to get the job, and inevitably the Duke hire (IMO Amaker) will not live up to expectation because Duke didn't hire the best available candidate.

This is what I have heard as well. Cunningham didn't want to hire Davis, but nearly all of the former players and Roy wanted Davis to take over. There was mutual interest between Stevens, Few but ultimately, UNC went with Davis. I don't think Oates was ever really a serious candidate.

DR knows Wes Miller. He attended 90% of UNC-G games over the past 8 years. And I’m talking about games in Cullowee and Johnson City. But if Wes was in DR’s law office last week, it was to talk to DR’s partners. DR practices law remotely from Florida and Augusta this time of year.

Does Wes think it's cute to have such a devoted groupie or think it's odd? will DR be hitting all the Cincy road games? at least he'll get to hit New Orleans, Memphis, Annapolis.

Does Wes think it's cute to have such a devoted groupie or think it's odd? will DR be hitting all the Cincy road games? at least he'll get to hit New Orleans, Memphis, Annapolis.

Navy isn't in the AAC in hoop. Just football. That conference is a mess. The big game for Cincy each year is the early season game against Xavier for Cincinnati bragging rights. Always high intensity.

This is what I have heard as well. Cunningham didn't want to hire Davis, but nearly all of the former players and Roy wanted Davis to take over. There was mutual interest between Stevens, Few but ultimately, UNC went with Davis. I don't think Oates was ever really a serious candidate.

If there really was interest from Stevens or Few and UNC still hired Hubert then they are dumber than I thought they were. And I thought they were plenty dumb already.

Seems like spending January, February, and March bouncing around between Dallas, Philly, Houston, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, and New Orleans isn't too bad. DR will have fun.

DR vs. Wellman predates the boards.

Donnie Greensboro was anti-Wellman when consensus across the board was that he was one of the 5 best ADs in America (pre-Bz hire). He wanted to be treated like a mover and shaker and Wellman blew him off. He takes contrarian positions to try to make himself look smarter. It’s a tired act.

If there really was interest from Stevens or Few and UNC still hired Hubert then they are dumber than I thought they were. And I thought they were plenty dumb already.

That's at least what I was told from a connection at UNC. Former players and Roy all pushed hard for Davis. They were not sure how strong Stevens and Few's interest was but neither said no to UNC.

Donnie Greensboro was anti-Wellman when consensus across the board was that he was one of the 5 best ADs in America (pre-Bz hire). He wanted to be treated like a mover and shaker and Wellman blew him off. He takes contrarian positions to try to make himself look smarter. It’s a tired act.

His beef with Wellman goes back to when he was a student.

Well, DR was right about Wellman. Jim Caldwell for 8 years, and 10 years of Bzz/dumbo. Grobe and Clawson don’t come close to making up for those 18 years of suffering.

There are a few American conference schools where I haven't seen a game. That will change quickly.

It is good news that this community got what it wanted with it's basketball team. It's important that communities get what they want and this one certainly has. You wanted Wellman, the Joel, Odom gone, & Forbes over Miller. The results were and remain quite predictable.

Funny I remember somebody being pretty excited about us signing Prosser. "The papers have been signed yadda yadda yadda"

Funny I remember somebody being pretty excited about us signing Prosser. "The papers have been signed yadda yadda yadda"

Yes, after the horrible decision to run out GDO, I thought Prosser was a good choice of the available options.

I also said when he died we should have just hired Kelsey. I was laughed away as I am now. Let's be clear again, in 2021, the pulse of this board still did not want to hire Wes Miller and instead chose the Forbes/Joel route.

This thread will no doubt be dragged up to the topic again by someone else taunting this crowd in 3-4 years and someone will contact me to look back at the boards. Speak to you all then.

The idea that Odom was gonna be able to recreate the magic he had in the mid nineties is the same kind of wishful thinking that The Reff has about George Greer

True all that. Well-Man ran the basketball program & baseball programs totally into the ground. One of the biggest mistakes for basketball was years ago though and it came from Coach Skip Prosser. For whatever reason, Skip chose NOT to take Wes coming here as a preferred walkon?? Now tell any of us what reason he would have had for not doing that? Great shooter and coming to us at no cost from the Dad who is a most prominent alumna. Then you would not have had him going to JMU & then to UNC and doing all the rest.

This decision is one of the worst ever made at Wake Forest and I loved Skip Prosser.

Yes, after the horrible decision to run out GDO, I thought Prosser was a good choice of the available options.

I also said when he died we should have just hired Kelsey. I was laughed away as I am now. Let's be clear again, in 2021, the pulse of this board still did not want to hire Wes Miller and instead chose the Forbes/Joel route.

This thread will no doubt be dragged up to the topic again by someone else taunting this crowd in 3-4 years and someone will contact me to look back at the boards. Speak to you all then.

You were right about Wellman.

Will certainly be interesting to compare Forbes and Miller for the next few years.

Back