• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Interesting? I’m already tired of it.

This decision is one of the worst ever made at Wake Forest and I loved Skip Prosser.

I agree that not allowing Wes Miller walk on at Wake was a big puzzle and mistake. Hard to imagine the reasons Skip had to have for it to work that way. I assume any potential conflicts Skip was cautious about, he was comfortable enough at Wake to have easily handled them.

Not having Wes Millers as a walk-on pales in comparison by the lunar power of a thousand moons when it comes to the hiring of Jeff [Redacted].

Not having Wes Millers as a walk-on pales in comparison by the lunar power of a thousand moons when it comes to the hiring of Jeff [Redacted].

I agree, I just agreed it was a mistake. (if not true questioned above)
Others, Not hiring Vince Lombardi when he applied for football, not admitting Artis Gilmore basketball, not taking 'tobacco' money from James Duke in '30s ( per Prof Jasper Memory - but woudn't want to be be called Duke now)) 'Bones' player said don't take Rick Barry. more.

There are a few American conference schools where I haven't seen a game. That will change quickly.

It is good news that this community got what it wanted with it's basketball team. It's important that communities get what they want and this one certainly has. You wanted Wellman, the Joel, Odom gone, & Forbes over Miller. The results were and remain quite predictable.

Wanted the Joel in 1989. Wanted Wellman gone after 2 years of Bzz. Never wanted Odom gone, but it was time. Wanted Wes or Kelsey over Forbes. And I’m not sure the majority of posters or WF fans wanted those things.

I don’t recall any consensus among Wake fans that Wellman was a “top 5 AD in the country.” I remember hoping the son of a bitch would leave in the late 90s when Arizona or Arizona State (can’t remember which one it was) came looking at him.

Wellman had his day in the sun in the mid-aughts, around the time we won the last of our natties in field hockey, men's hoop won the ACC, and football was building toward the 2006 dream season. USA Today had that big feature piece on the Wake AD on the front page of the sports section one of those years. I believe the Michigan/AZ State flirtation was around then or maybe a little before. We lost in the Orange Bowl and Skip died six months later. The rest is history.

Here is one for the what if crowd. We should have fired Carl Tacy and hired Bobby Cremins from APP State when we had that chance. The rest is history.

Interesting? I’m already tired of it.

Buckle up. The waxing and waning on the Cincinnati Bearcat men’s basketball program is about to become a regular board topic. If they struggle out of the gate I guess someone can start the “Official LOL Cincinnati” thread.

I will actually be curious to see how the two programs/coaches compare. I believe Miller will find success but I’m excited to have Forbes on our sideline.

Seriously people, Wes Miller sucked as a basketball player. Far from being “one of the worst decisions ever made at Wake Forest” it literally is the definition of a nothing-burger. He averaged 1 point in 4 minutes per game on the 2004-2005 team (that we ran out of the gym) and 7 points in 22 minutes a game as a backup the next season. That’s it. I’m not sure how the myth of Wes Miller ever got to this level but you’d think he put McCants on the bench from some of the commentary here.

I mean Wes Miller would have definitely helped out particularly the 2005-06 team. I think we had Mike drum who was a walk on playing significant minutes for that team and miller was better than him.

I agree that the worst mistake we ever made talk is definitely overblown.

Last edited:
The worst mistake Prosser made, and not offering Miller or anything else even comes close, was taking CP3 at his word that he'd stick around for his junior year. Skip should have been planning for CP3's imminent departure from the first week of his freshman season.

The second-worst mistake Prosser made was letting Jamaal Levy shoot free throws against WVU.

The worst mistake Prosser made, and not offering Miller or anything else even comes close, was taking CP3 at his word that he'd stick around for his junior year. Skip should have been planning for CP3's imminent departure from the first week of his freshman season.

I just wonder what recruit or level of recruit we missed out on as a result of this. Which PG's were going to come play behind CP3 if they thought he was staying? Though it's interesting to look at this situation now, given the JGray PG experiment and his coaching news. (Side note - would he have been a candidate at UNCG?)

I'm sure all this has been hashed out a hundred times. We need some new history to look back on.

Back