• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at SYRACUSE, Saturday 3:30 ESPN2

DeacAssured

Reaction score
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ng-about-syracuses-loss-to-florida-state.html

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ll-enter-his-name-in-the-transfer-portal.html

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2021/...rest-demon-deacons-orange-season-schedule-acc

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...og-against-the-no-19-team-in-the-country.html

A win in the Carrier Dome is never a walk in the park, just isn't. They can put up numbers but our defense should have an opportunity to correct some Lville game mis-steps. Our receivers and QB can tighten up timing as well. Needless to say a win confirms bowl eligibility.

Last edited:
Last 3 games at the Carrier Dome:

2020/10/31 Wake Forest 38 - Syracuse 14
2019/11/30 Wake Forest 30 - Syracuse 39 OT
2017/11/11 Wake Forest 64 - Syracuse 43

WF opened -11, looks like that dropped to -6.5. The O/U opened at 61.5 and dropped to 56.5.

Deacs are 2-3 ATS this season. Have only hit the over once, against Louisville.

Last edited:
Cuse is much improved, but they have yet to face an offense with even a competent pass attack.

The Orange opened with Ohio. The Bobcats employ an run option offense, as the Ohio passing offense is rated #118 (out of 130 teams)
Next, Cuse played Rutgers. The game was a rock fight. Rutgers won 17-7. Rutgers also can't hurt opponents through the air as Rutgers has the #109 pass offense.
Two weeks ago, Cuse played Liberty. Liberty has a good QB, Malik Willis, but his strength is running the ball, not throwing. Liberty has the #60 pass offense,
Last week, Cuse played FSU. As WF is well aware, FSU has QB issues. FSU is #12 (out of 14) in the ACC in passing.

The Orange have yet to face an opponent with any kind of threatening passing attack. Let alone one with receivers like Roberson, Morin and Perry. Last year, when Cuse played only one OOC game, their pass defense was below average (11th out of 14). Also, Cuse can't throw the ball at all (DFL in the ACC in passing yards per game); so, they essentially face no one in practice that can throw the ball either. Feel like WF can exploit Syracuse's lack of any experience facing a strong passing attack.

Also, if WF can get to a lead, Cuse is in trouble because, as noted above, Cuse can't throw the ball. This is how the Rutgers game got away from Cuse. Rutgers got a lead, and it took Cuse out of their ground and pound attack. Deacs need to get a lead and get the Orange out of their comfort zone.

Last edited:
We always have a rough time at the Carrier Dome. The team better show up ready to play.

Their best receiver announced yesterday that he is entering the transfer portal. We should be able to name the score.

And the only loss was on a completely freak strip 6 against Hinton trying to score a TD to win in OT, following a wide open missed slant from Hartman on the RPO.

WF is averaging 44 points a game at the Dome over the last 3 (FWIW, as he typically does, Clawson called off the dogs at Cuse last year or WF would've hung 50 on them). If WF can get anything close to that average, Cuse is in trouble as their offense is plodding.

I don't know a ton about Cuse, but given what I saw in their game against FSU and what was posted above about their offense, this seems like a good matchup for Wake. Especially if we see the defense from the Virginia game.

The Orange haven't broken 30 points against any non-FCS opponent. That won't be good enough for them in this game.

I don’t feel like we have played particularly well yet this year.

Cuse is 2nd in the country in team sacks (21) but it does seem like their SoS is misleading there.

I don't know a ton about Cuse, but given what I saw in their game against FSU and what was posted above about their offense, this seems like a good matchup for Wake. Especially if we see the defense from the Virginia game.

The Orange haven't broken 30 points against any non-FCS opponent. That won't be good enough for them in this game.

Great point. Makes me a whole lot more confident about a game that is so often a banana peel for us. Go Deacs!

13 sacks in the other 4 games is still pretty good.

Shame on all of you for forgetting about the vaunted SYRACUSE FRONT SEVEN

I don’t feel like we have played particularly well yet this year.

Virginia? Passed the eye test, at least. I know they had a ton of (catchup) yards, but never felt like that game was out of control. And we just physically beat them up, I don't see Wake teams do that often...

Yeah, the way we've won games this year is the formula that we will continue to use. Put up 35 points and bend but don't break on defense. If we need to score more than 35, keep after it and hope for the best. If the UVA game actually turns out to be our best performance of the season, then 9-3 is probably the ceiling.

Back