• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Not sure if this is even out there since there is so much that goes into it, but what is the average increase/change from freshman to sophomore as far as BA/OBP/wRC+/etc?

I'm a Marek stan... but we don't know this. We expect he SHOULD but he could always go ROK on us. No guarantee that a freshman is better as they get older
Houston was also a lot better hitter at the end of last season as opposed to the beginning of the season.

Injuries are the big concern for me. Losing Teddy McGraw at the start of last season seemed catastrophic at the time, but Sean Sullivan turned out to be an ace; that was extremely good fortune. Need this roster to stay intact, and will happily take my chances with the 2024 Deacs.

that is including non-conference games, where we mashed against mostly shit opponents.

hawke had a 104 wRC+ in conference play (100 is average) according to d1 baseball, which does not include park factors.
Stop making me want to pay for a D1baseball sub by telling me they have conference only wRC+ stats

hitting 9th is like being the leadoff to the leadoff hitter so in a way he's been leading off for us all along.

In fairness, Bennett Lee was a pretty big question mark at this time last year too. He hit .255/.366/.398 his sophomore year at Tulane and then .303/.435/.472 moving up a level to the ACC in his junior year. I don't think any of us here really expected that to happen.

Slash lines are great, but really don't address his D and presence w/ pitchers, which was elite.

Cameron Gill was rated the nation's second best defensive catcher in runs saved IIRC from a link earlier in this thread.

His defense is a huge part of his game.

Slash lines are great, but really don't address his D and presence w/ pitchers, which was elite.
Agree with this. The pitching staff thrived with Lee behind the dish. The discussion above was focused on the WF 2024 offense. FWIW, Gill's rep is that he is an elite defensive catcher. Not sure about Ballestro; he has played multiple positions for St. John's and UVA.

My thoughts on the starting lineup for now (not in batting order, just positionally). Just trying to get down on paper (computer?) where we are for my head:

C - Cameron Gill
1B - Nick Kurtz
2B - Austin Hawke
SS - Marek Houston
3B - Adam Tellier (maybe Winnay?)
LF - Jake Reinisch
CF - Seaver King
RF - Chris Katz
DH - revolving door? Whoever can mash the best out of the backups? Winnay/Ballestero/Polledo

My thoughts on the starting lineup for now (not in batting order, just positionally). Just trying to get down on paper (computer?) where we are for my head:

C - Cameron Gill
1B - Nick Kurtz
2B - Austin Hawke
SS - Marek Houston
LF - Jake Reinisch
CF - Seaver King
RF - Chris Katz
DH - revolving door? Whoever can mash the best out of the backups? Winnay/Ballestero/Polledo

Last weekend they had Reinisch in RF and Katz in left. Ballestero was at Catcher and Winnay ay DH. I imagine catcher will rotate unless one of them is was better than the other.

C - Cameron Gill
1B - Nick Kurtz
2B - Austin Hawke
SS - Marek Houston
LF - Jake Reinisch
CF - Seaver King
RF - Chris Katz
Walter said postgame that as of right now, the most likely starting lineup is the one that started Game 1 of last weekend's scrimmages. That lineup was:

1. Marek Houston (SS)
2. Seaver King (CF)
3. Nick Kurtz (1B)
4. Jake Reinisch (RF)
5. Jack Winnay (DH)
6. Tate Ballestero (C)
7. Chris Katz (LF)
8. Adam Tellier (3B)
9. Austin Hawke (2B)

Seems like the mostly likely guys to break into that lineup are Gill and the freshman Cam Nelson.

Back