• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

didn't have a great freshman year for GT, but it looks like he was their friday starter. he was a top 200 recruit according to PG

Funny - in that recent Muscara podcast, he talked specifically about liking guys like Lowder and Massey who started as freshman and struggled a bit. Maybe Schmolke fits that mold. Looks like he walked a lot of dudes.

Re: Cole Roland (aka Dr Animal - that is his nickname), saw it is a “stress reaction in the forearm,” which I’d never heard of, but sounds like the same thing Yu Darvish has dealt with. Hopefully it’s the kind of thing that can settle down with a few weeks of rest. That seems to fit the mid-April return timeline.

Re: Cole Roland (aka Dr Animal - that is his nickname), saw it is a “stress reaction in the forearm,” which I’d never heard of, but sounds like the same thing Yu Darvish has dealt with. Hopefully it’s the kind of thing that can settle down with a few weeks of rest. That seems to fit the mid-April return timeline.
Mid April is three months away. More than "a few weeks."

There’s a difference between throwing again and returning to game action. I took “mid-April” to mean that is when he may be available to pitch out of the bullpen, not when he would start throwing again.

Was this against our own hitters? As good as this makes me feel about our pitching, I do wish our guys looked a little better at the plate too!

The Ks are impressive, but 0 walks for Burns probably excites me the most.

Pitching lab showing what it can do. Improving Burns from a hard thrower to a pitcher with command of location who still brings heat.

I’m excited about what we are gonna see from Burns (sounds like his delivery is more consistent and he’s added a third pitch). But he wasn’t a particularly wild pitcher at Tennessee.

Last year, he walked 7.4% of the guys he faced (7.5% the previous year), which is quite good. Not quite Hartle level (5.7 BB%), but better than Massey (9.9%).

There’s really not much not to like in his peripheral stats. He is a pretty extreme flyball pitcher though, and in particular gave up too many homers in SEC play (24% of his flyballs turned into HRs).

But I think most of the struggles he had at times were just bad luck. And I think most people agree, hence the preseason pitcher of the year accolades.

Last edited:
I’d rather our two aces shut our bats down than the opposite 100/100 times. College baseball is about bullpens. The disappointing thing about the bats in Omaha is that we didn’t hit well against anybody.

If burns is as good as it seems like I still like him for Friday but whatever. Hopefully it won’t matter anyway. Our biggest strength last year was out pitching teams for 27 innings. I hope we have more depth than we think. I will not change my mind this is the biggest factor to get back to Omaha. Most college teams can put up runs against most college bullpens.

Back