• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Assuming a weekend rotation of Hartle, Burns and Massey (which may or may not be as it plays out as there's a chance Massey stays in the pen):

won't really be material to the performance of the team, but we will also be running up against the 40 man roster limit, so a few of guys probably won't end up making the team.

from what i can tell, right now we have 41 possible players:

#NameClassSourcePosition
1Jake Reinisch4 - SrReturn3B/OF
2Cameron Gill4 - GrTransferC
3Mitchell Salvino4 - GrTransferCF/OF
4Tate Ballestero4 - GrTransferIF/OF
5Will Schomberg4 - GrTransferRHP
6David Falco4 - GrTransferRHP
7Cole Roland4 - GrReturnRHP
8Chase Walter4 - GrReturnRHP
9Nick Kurtz3 - JrReturn1B
10Chris Katz3 - JrReturnC/OF
11Josh Hartle3 - JrReturnLHP
12Michael Massey3 - JrReturnRHP
13Crawford Wade3 - JrReturnLHP
14Will Ray3 - JrReturnRHP
15Seaver King3 - JrTransfer2B/3B/SS
16Chase Burns3 - JrTransferRHP
17Pirmin Brechbuhl3 - JrReturnOF
18Will Andrews3 - JrReturnRHP
19Marek Houston2 - SoReturnSS
20Jack Winnay2 - SoReturn1B/3B
21Joe Ariola2 - SoReturnLHP
22Austin Hawke2 - SoTransfer2B
23Will Gervase2 - SoTransferLHP
24Andrew Noland2 - SoReturnOF
25Zach Johnstone2 - SoReturnLHP
26Ben Shenosky2 - SoReturnRHP
27Hudson Lee2 - SoReturnLHP
28Cam Nelson1 - FrFreshmanOF
29Jeter Polledo1 - FrFreshmanSS
30Ryan Preisano1 - FrFreshmanIF
31Brady Morningstar1 - FrFreshmanRHP
32Haiden Leffew1 - FrFreshmanLHP
33Brody Shawn1 - FrFreshmanRHP
34Andrew Koshy1 - FrFreshmanRHP
35Antonio Morales1 - FrFreshmanIF/OF
36Javar Williams1 - FrFreshmanOF
37Liam Willson1 - FrFreshmanIF
38Jeff Gunther1 - FrFreshmanRHP
39AJ Camp1 - FrFreshmanLHP
40Branden Brown1 - FrGrayshirtRHP
41Charlie Jones1 - FrGrayshirtRHP

Don't think WF is done at adding players. So, yes, a couple of those names won't be on the 2024 roster.

won't really be material to the performance of the team, but we will also be running up against the 40 man roster limit, so a few of guys probably won't end up making the team.

from what i can tell, right now we have 41 possible players:

#NameClassSourcePosition
1Jake Reinisch4 - SrReturn3B/OF
2Cameron Gill4 - GrTransferC
3Mitchell Salvino4 - GrTransferCF/OF
4Tate Ballestero4 - GrTransferIF/OF
5Will Schomberg4 - GrTransferRHP
6David Falco4 - GrTransferRHP
7Cole Roland4 - GrReturnRHP
8Chase Walter4 - GrReturnRHP
9Nick Kurtz3 - JrReturn1B
10Chris Katz3 - JrReturnC/OF
11Josh Hartle3 - JrReturnLHP
12Michael Massey3 - JrReturnRHP
13Crawford Wade3 - JrReturnLHP
14Will Ray3 - JrReturnRHP
15Seaver King3 - JrTransfer2B/3B/SS
16Chase Burns3 - JrTransferRHP
17Pirmin Brechbuhl3 - JrReturnOF
18Will Andrews3 - JrReturnRHP
19Marek Houston2 - SoReturnSS
20Jack Winnay2 - SoReturn1B/3B
21Joe Ariola2 - SoReturnLHP
22Austin Hawke2 - SoTransfer2B
23Will Gervase2 - SoTransferLHP
24Andrew Noland2 - SoReturnOF
25Zach Johnstone2 - SoReturnLHP
26Ben Shenosky2 - SoReturnRHP
27Hudson Lee2 - SoReturnLHP
28Cam Nelson1 - FrFreshmanOF
29Jeter Polledo1 - FrFreshmanSS
30Ryan Preisano1 - FrFreshmanIF
31Brady Morningstar1 - FrFreshmanRHP
32Haiden Leffew1 - FrFreshmanLHP
33Brody Shawn1 - FrFreshmanRHP
34Andrew Koshy1 - FrFreshmanRHP
35Antonio Morales1 - FrFreshmanIF/OF
36Javar Williams1 - FrFreshmanOF
37Liam Willson1 - FrFreshmanIF
38Jeff Gunther1 - FrFreshmanRHP
39AJ Camp1 - FrFreshmanLHP
40Branden Brown1 - FrGrayshirtRHP
41Charlie Jones1 - FrGrayshirtRHP
Does Chase Walter have more eligibility? I thought he was done

Chase Walter was freshman in 2019 @ G'town, 2020 was a COVID year and did not count, played @ G'town in 2021, sat out the 2022 season, and played for WF in 2023. So, assuming that 2022 counts as a RS year, Walter could return in 2024.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA only allows 27 players in uniform for road games. 4 unifomred coaches.
I don't think that increased with the rosters...but I could be wrong

I would give Katz every opportunity to be a starting corner outfielder. A few Wake parents have mentioned that he is one of the hardest workers in the team.

I can’t say I know anything directly about the work ethic of Katz but wouldn’t at all be surprised at what you say. Loved the story from him this year about the team Polaroid journal …..seemed like a super great teammate especially one who was a top 10 NC recruit coming in, has only seen spot duty so far and could easily be sulking some. Would love to see him finish his time at Wake with a bang.

I have no real info, but I fully expect Katz to have an every day role, even if we add another transfer or two.

If I had to handicap likelihood to get 100 PAs in conference play (injuries aside), I think there are three guarantees (Kurtz, King, Houston), and then I'd throw Katz in that next tier with Cameron Gill, followed by Jake Reinisch and Jack Winnay -- so seven guys who I think have a greater than 50% chance of playing most days.

There are other guys who have a shot at playing a lot (Hawke, Ballestero, Nelson, Salvino, some of the other freshmen), but I think that will mostly be decided by what other transfers we get and how they play in the fall.

Adding to above

3 (84): Seth Keener, RHP, Wake Forest (Pick value: $833,900)
Agreed to deal, but terms were not yet disclosed. Keener went 8-2 with a 2.69 ERA for the Demon Deacons this past season. He started eight of those 23 appearances, striking out 94 and walking 20 over 70 1/3 innings. He is viewed as a starter by the White Sox.
Sully:

Started to look around to see if any news on the other unsigned Wake guys (believe only Wilken, Hawke, Johnson and Bennett remain?) and noticed that Guardians signed their 13th round pick to $375k which is even above the slot of their 5th round pick from Lville….and, of course, Hawke in 6th. Interested to see what happens with him and all the other Acc guys around him. 5B209A24-421E-40B5-A9D3-12A0277D9AA0.jpeg

Surprised that Sullivan signed for slightly below slot. He had the most leverage of any WF draftee as he has two years of eligibility left and is young for a college draft pick. Also, any pitcher signing with the Rockies needs a pay bump to put up with the future PTSD.

FWIW, Hawke may have already signed. Someone reported seeing him headed to Cleveland‘s training facility in AZ; which means he signed or agreed in principle and was about to sign.

Will be fun to follow all our Deacs in pro ball

I'll admit the MLB draft is too complicated for me but why are our guys signing for below slot? I understand there are differences in leverage depending on college eligibility and other factors. Is that solely why Brock would take a 25% deal below slot?

I'll admit the MLB draft is too complicated for me but why are our guys signing for below slot? I understand there are differences in leverage depending on college eligibility and other factors. Is that solely why Brock would take a 25% deal below slot?

They may take lower slot bonuses and negotiate higher salaries. Teams sell them it helps the org and give on the salary part of the deal.

Surprised that Sullivan signed for slightly below slot. He had the most leverage of any WF draftee as he has two years of eligibility left and is young for a college draft pick. Also, any pitcher signing with the Rockies needs a pay bump to put up with the future PTSD.

FWIW, Hawke may have already signed. Someone reported seeing him headed to Cleveland‘s training facility in AZ; which means he signed or agreed in principle and was about to sign.

Will be fun to follow all our Deacs in pro ball
Thanks and agree on looking forward to following them all. And also agree on surprising that Sullivan signed under as a sophomore and top LH while the Va Tech RH soph pitcher Hackenberg signed for 600k over slot in 2nd . For sure are some crazy dynamics to the whole draft/signing process ….looking at Nationals and see they signed and underpaid all of their 6 through 10 round picks for $20,000 each including Gavin Dugas from LSU in round 6 so that they apparently could pay the extra $1 million above slot demanded by Crews and his agent….seems a super uncool move in my book to do to your former teammate but maybe just me…

Brock was projected lower in the draft than he actually went, which would have been associated with a signing bonus closer to what he actually got. Sometimes teams will draft guys earlier than projected intentionally, in order to go below slot on that selection so they can go above slot on other selections.

The guys signing below slot aren’t surprised when they get a below slot offer. Their agents communicate a signing bonus number to interested MLB teams, and the player will sign for something close to that number regardless of what the draft slot is.

It’s honestly easier to just completely forget about draft slot values when thinking from a player perspective, just know that 99% of the time players are signing deals that at least match their desired signing bonus pre-draft.

Started to look around to see if any news on the other unsigned Wake guys (believe only Wilken, Hawke, Johnson and Bennett remain?) and noticed that Guardians signed their 13th round pick to $375k which is even above the slot of their 5th round pick from Lville….and, of course, Hawke in 6th. Interested to see what happens with him and all the other Acc guys around him. View attachment 4434

Interesting too that Cleveland drafted back-to-back draft-eligible sophomores in Hawke and the Duke SS.

Back