• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Just started reading FG chat transcript from last night and I did not realize there were rumors about Lowder dropping due to bad medical. I guess elbow concerns and people wondering why he came out after 87 pitches [on short rest].

Just started reading FG chat transcript from last night and I did not realize there were rumors about Lowder dropping due to bad medical. I guess elbow concerns and people wondering why he came out after 87 pitches [on short rest].
Saw a couple comments about that on social media for the first time ever last night as well. Hadn’t heard anything internally about that at any point

I was concerned Lowder was going to the Rockies and it looks like that would have happened had the Reds passed on him.

Maybe this is a stretch, but Sullivan to Rockies makes a lot of sense to me. He misses a lot of bats, and does so using 80+% fastballs. The "unicorn" fastball due to his arm slot. The roughest element of pitching in Coors is not always due to balls flying longer, but due to the effects that the altitude/air density have on pitch movement. Curveballs don't break as much and get hit at a higher rate there. This dynamic would not impact Sean's effectiveness as much as most pitchers.

I think you guys are way too worried about the MLB team that took Sullivan. A decent percentage of second rounders never even make the MLB.

I’d be more worried about the Rockies minor league pitching development than the Coors effect. Either way, if Sean is good enough he’ll find his way.

The concerns with Lowder's medicals have more to do with his mechanics and presumed troubles than they have to do with any concerns about damage sustained at Wake Forest.

It's all about the inside baseball/preemptive diagnosis that he throws across his body and most pitchers with similar motions and deliveries encounter problems.

Maybe this is a stretch, but Sullivan to Rockies makes a lot of sense to me. He misses a lot of bats, and does so using 80+% fastballs. The "unicorn" fastball due to his arm slot. The roughest element of pitching in Coors is not always due to balls flying longer, but due to the effects that the altitude/air density have on pitch movement. Curveballs don't break as much and get hit at a higher rate there. This dynamic would not impact Sean's effectiveness as much as most pitchers.

Kinda similar story with Dollander's FB as well who they took first, seems pretty plausible that's their thinking.

Keener should be the next guy down for Wake today. Rounds 3-10 start at 2 PM EST. One minute between picks. Should be flying

I think you guys are way too worried about the MLB team that took Sullivan. A decent percentage of second rounders never even make the MLB.

I’d be more worried about the Rockies minor league pitching development than the Coors effect. Either way, if Sean is good enough he’ll find his way.
I think the concern with the MLB team necessarily includes the minor league development. Not a lot of success stories there. Of course they could have made improvements. I will admit to not being up to date on the Rockies developmental staff.

I think the concern with the MLB team necessarily includes the minor league development. Not a lot of success stories there. Of course they could have made improvements. I will admit to not being up to date on the Rockies developmental staff.
Yeah, I mean it’s a fair point to make, the Rockies minor league pitching development has been subpar compared to other MLB teams, even MLB park-independent.

I do think that historically they have focused on hitters in the draft though. It’ll be interesting to see how Dollander and Sullivan do

Keener should be the next guy down for Wake today. Rounds 3-10 start at 2 PM EST. One minute between picks. Should be flying
Or could be McGraw….he is next available on the MLB tracker based on their rankings…should be an interesting afternoon/evening to see how that plays out along with Hawke who ESPN has in 80s range vs 238 here.

45723A55-9C28-4224-8279-CD7A2FE12576.jpeg

Does Minacci project as a relief guy or a guy someone may want to convert to a starter?
Starters are harder to find/develop. I would expect the team that drafts Minacci to try and extend him to starter length outings. If that is not successful, then back to the bullpen he goes.

The two WF HS class of 2023 recruits with the most risk to get drafted and sign with an MLB team are:

Haiden Leffew
Blake Morningstar

Both are pitchers.

Does Minacci project as a relief guy or a guy someone may want to convert to a starter?
Somebody can draft him and try to stretch him into a starter ... but if you haven't been a starter or even a long guy in 3 years of college, it's pretty much cemented that you're a reliever.

Back