• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Winners

Wake Forest

After guiding the Demon Deacons to their first College World Series appearance since 1955, Tom Walter and his staff this offseason put together one of the best transfer portal classes in the country. The headliner is former Tennessee righthander and potential top-10 overall draft pick Chase Burns (5-3, 4.25 ERA). Armed with a fastball that tops out at 102 mph and a plus slider, Burns has arguably the best stuff of any pitcher in all of college baseball. On the other side of the baseball, the Deacs added former Wingate (N.C.) superstar Seaver King. King is an uber-athletic infielder who hit .411 last spring with 36 extra-base hits, and he hit .424 across 59 at-bats in the Cape Cod League.

The coaching staff also brought in a couple of nice supplemental pieces in reliever David Falco (4-1, 3.88 ERA) and the ever-versatile Adam Tellier (.317/.394/.515) to round out the class. With a loaded transfer class and an abundance of returning talent, Wake Forest will once again be in the national championship conversation.

I saw the "WFU Athletic Field Maintenance" Twitter account on another thread here earlier. Started scrolling through it. We clearly have the capability and equipment to maintain beautiful grass fields - look how amazing the field at Spry looks in some of the photos posted today. Spry and soccer practice fields are grass, one of the football practice fields is grass...so why don't we have a grass baseball field?

I saw the "WFU Athletic Field Maintenance" Twitter account on another thread here earlier. Started scrolling through it. We clearly have the capability and equipment to maintain beautiful grass fields - look how amazing the field at Spry looks in some of the photos posted today. Spry and soccer practice fields are grass, one of the football practice fields is grass...so why don't we have a grass baseball field?

We don't play on those grass fields much in the winter like we do for baseball.

Winners

Wake Forest

After guiding the Demon Deacons to their first College World Series appearance since 1955, Tom Walter and his staff this offseason put together one of the best transfer portal classes in the country. The headliner is former Tennessee righthander and potential top-10 overall draft pick Chase Burns (5-3, 4.25 ERA). Armed with a fastball that tops out at 102 mph and a plus slider, Burns has arguably the best stuff of any pitcher in all of college baseball. On the other side of the baseball, the Deacs added former Wingate (N.C.) superstar Seaver King. King is an uber-athletic infielder who hit .411 last spring with 36 extra-base hits, and he hit .424 across 59 at-bats in the Cape Cod League.

The coaching staff also brought in a couple of nice supplemental pieces in reliever David Falco (4-1, 3.88 ERA) and the ever-versatile Adam Tellier (.317/.394/.515) to round out the class. With a loaded transfer class and an abundance of returning talent, Wake Forest will once again be in the national championship conversation.
The bold is just wild considering we were one of the nation's leaders in drafted players.

Yeah, the Couch hosted a dozen games in February.

I really can't complain about the field turf. I think that it looks great in person.

And, I am not aware of any injuries it could be blamed for... and, that's a different ballgame with soccer.

NC State has decided not to play the NIL game in baseball and is going to be in major trouble until they get a coaching change.

On Twitter I stumbled across an interview with Kurtz. Not sure who the interviewer was...some sort of national college baseball journalist, maybe? Pretty decent interview and it was about 12 mins in length. They touched on the post-season injury (read: Alabama) and apparently Kurtz just started taking full swings recently.

On Twitter I stumbled across an interview with Kurtz. Not sure who the interviewer was...some sort of national college baseball journalist, maybe? Pretty decent interview and it was about 12 mins in length. They touched on the post-season injury (read: Alabama) and apparently Kurtz just started taking full swings recently.
Good stuff. The lack of any news on Kurtz, and the fact that he didn't play baseball over the past two months was a concern. Glad he is taking full swings again. Ready for more Nicky Nukes.

I believe Fall baseball scrimmages are closed, but if WF hosted someone like Tennessee (WF played at TN last fall), on a nice early October late afternoon; the Couch would be hopping.

The Angels are already calling up a 1b they drafted 6 weeks ago. Our guys are falling behind!

As a player I am sure it gnaws at him more than me ( and that’s a lot as a lifetime Deac) but oh what could have been at the CWS with a healthy Kurtz to maybe get a key hit or two to get us over the hump. Knew something wasn’t quite right after watching him all year in person and on Tv. Let’s get another chance for him and all us fans next year! Never more anxious for February and start of baseball season.

Last edited:
Back