• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball

haha. choking down the stretch is wake's specialty

I went to the baseball game after the Spring game. By the time I got there, bottom of the 1st, the score was already 4-0 and Wake had not batted! A parent of one of the players told me that all but one of Wake's pitchers were injured and that Wake's starting pitcher was the starting catcher. So I don't say it was a choke, but without the best pitchers, it is really hard to win. For Wake to come back and almost win yesterday was a testament to toughness and character. With no pitchers, no wins, IMHO, whether in College or in the majors. Injuries happen, but ... .

Kelly's just a pitcher, but we do have a lot of injuries. Fischer is the only normal starter going this weekend.

Why start Kelly in such a huge game when he hasn't even started a game and only had 16 innings pitched?

Lose 8-6 so Duke Sweeps....well, no tourney this year....would be embarassed early even if we got in....not enough quality pitching or hitting. Bad sign when you lose to an 11 win UNCC team 12-3.....Duke looked like the best team we've played at home or we decided to play our worst.....

Walter's seat should be getting warm. Seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't done as much as Rem did in a comparable amount of time.

Walter's seat should be getting warm. Seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't done as much as Rem did in a comparable amount of time.

Wellman cares more about that Kevin Jordan story than about winning. Walter earned himself a career contract with that kidney donation. As long as WellBOT is in charge

I went back and looked at Fossas hadn't pitched since last Saturday (2.1 innings vs FSU) until he want into the game in the 9th with Wake already down. What in the hell was Walter saving him for today? Seems like he should have come in the 7th and pitched the rest of the game. Questionable decision.

Starting Garrett Kelly was a very questionable decision yesterday. He has 16 inning pitched all year and it was his first college start. This is in maybe the most important game of the year. There were better choices.

Walter's managing the last couple of weeks has frankly stunk and been a factor in 3 losses.

I don't really know who else we would have started though, it's not like there are many starts on the team in the first place once you get beyond Fischer and McLeod.

I don't understand his obsession with small ball though. We bunt in the most ridiculous areas.

Damn- we were looking for a sweep and instead got out tourney hopes swept away.

2 years ago WFU baseball was easily better than Duke. Now, overall Duke 28-17, WFU 26-21. ACC, Duke 15-9, WFU 12-12. Head to head, Duke 3-0, WFU 0-3 with all WFU home games. Against UNC, State, Duke and WFU, Duke 8-1, WFU 1-5.

I don't really know who else we would have started though, it's not like there are many starts on the team in the first place once you get beyond Fischer and McLeod.

I don't understand his obsession with small ball though. We bunt in the most ridiculous areas.

He could have moved Kaden's start up from Sunday to Saturday, and then started Conner Johnstone against Duke on Sunday. He did start a game Tuesday but only pitched 4 1/3 innings. He started Will Craig last Sunday against FSU. You could have started him instead. Now was the time to use flexibility.

Parker Dunshee pitched almost 3 innings Tues and then pitched over 3 yesterday and almost 2 today.

Jus

Last edited:
He could have moved Kaden's start up from Sunday to Saturday, and then started Conner Johnstone against Duke on Sunday. He did start a game Tuesday but only pitched 4 1/3 innings. He started Will Craig last Sunday against FSU. You could have started him instead. Now was the time to use flexibility.

Parker Dunshee pitched almost 3 innings Tues and then pitched over 3 yesterday and almost 2 today.

Jus

Yeah I was just pointing out that there isn't much depth there. Kaden got subbed last week and he was the second best option this weekend.

I'm interested in seeing what McLeod does with regards to the majors. I think Dunshee will be in the mixto start and Craig is likely there as well. Johnstone struggled to locate the zone last week against Charlotte.

Just not much working beyond Fischer right now sadly.

I went to the baseball game after the Spring game. By the time I got there, bottom of the 1st, the score was already 4-0 and Wake had not batted! A parent of one of the players told me that all but one of Wake's pitchers were injured and that Wake's starting pitcher was the starting catcher. So I don't say it was a choke, but without the best pitchers, it is really hard to win. For Wake to come back and almost win yesterday was a testament to toughness and character. With no pitchers, no wins, IMHO, whether in College or in the majors. Injuries happen, but ... .

Must do like Wellma told George Greer back in between the off season of not winning an ACC title after winning 2 in a row, but having a couple of injuries at key positions and not being able to win that 3rd ACC title [in a row], GG was told he needed to recruit better and prepare for injuries.

Can you actually see RW telling his own hires like Grobie or Rem or Prosser or Walters that same thing? doubtful

Back