• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that is not a bubble team.

I think the field a competitive team talk is more like competing in most games unlike most of the last decade. Not competing for an NCAA bid. Keeps most games close. Lose quite a few. Surprise some teams that sleep on them or have a poor game. Still looking at a sky of .500 but that's certainly not guaranteed or probably even likely.

I'm hoping to see a well coached group that scraps every game, plays tough defense with a squad full of wings racing around the court. Too much to ask?

That's all fine. I kind of had this comment in my head as I was responding, as 8-8 in conference would assumedly make us a bubble team.

You cannot overstate how poorly coached we were under Manning. They were 0-3 regarding Forbes’ mantra “Play hard, play smart, play together”.

The roster, as it stands today with 9 scholarship players available would be staring at 2-18 under Manning. With Forbes I bet they win at least 8 conference games. Coaching matters in a big way.

There are 20 conference games now so 8-12 is what I was referencing. That would not be on the NCAA bubble but would represent tremendous progress.

Yeah, the top 7-13 team last year was Miami, Clemson was 9-11, and they were 15-16 and 16-15, respectively, which sounds about right.

I know he played in the worst conference in America, but I have a feeling Dubose is going to shine. The bro dropped 44 in a game. Didn’t he also hit the game winner against the Deacs in WS? He’s a smart fella too and will be a mature presence in the locker room.

Having Muscius, Dubose, Antonio and Johnson gives me reason to believe we will be a pretty mature team. Not discrediting guys like Massoud, Ody and Neath who should provide leadership as well.

I’m with Chupe that there are some reasons to vibrate when looking at this squad.

Heard from a coach that Antonio is a really likable dude also. Should make for a fun interview, mate!

Yeah, the top 7-13 team last year was Miami, Clemson was 9-11, and they were 15-16 and 16-15, respectively, which sounds about right.

I agree with this as a nice goal for the season.

So basically Wynn, Wright and Chaundee all left before Manning got fired, so really Forbes only lost Sarr, kept the rest of the squad and added Antonio, Daivien and Jalen Johnson. Considering when he got hired and the pandemic shutting down recruiting Forbes actually did a hell of a job given the circumstances.

It will be interesting to see who Forbes selects as starters and how deep his rotation will be. He will start with a clean slate. Neath seems certain at PG unless Williamson gets a waiver. An Oguama/Ingraham combo at center seem obvious. After that who knows?

So basically Wynn, Wright and Chaundee all left before Manning got fired, so really Forbes only lost Sarr, kept the rest of the squad and added Antonio, Daivien and Jalen Johnson. Considering when he got hired and the pandemic shutting down recruiting Forbes actually did a hell of a job given the circumstances.

Yes. And gotta give Chill lots of credit too. After he wasn’t seriously considered for the head coaching job, he could have become negative toward WF.

Yeah I see a lineup as:
Neath
Dubose
Muscius
Massoud
Ody

6- Antonio
7- Johnson
Adams/Tariq

As is stands without the other 2 spots taken.

I actually really like this lineup. Not that I have a choice but still. Ody did a rather incredible job last year given that he was as a true frosh going against much more experienced bigs. I think Ody is going to surprise many this next year.

And I know he isn't flashy and is a walk-on, but Okeke is a bruiser that plays his ass off. I was at the Duke Wake game last year in Cameron, and he was one of the big reasons we stayed in that game down low. He returns a year stronger and more mature. He will make the most of any minutes he is given.

I'll be disappointed in Forbes if Massoud doesn't start.

I want Massoud to start also but I have the distinct impression that you better be gritty, grimy, tough, and together on D if you want major minutes. Last year there was no accountability for poor defense. There is legit competition for starting jobs and I think those who buy in to the defensive philosophy will get the most minutes. I hope that’s Massoud.

Agree about the importance of defense. Another big would increase the probability of playing Massoud and Mucius at the same time. Five more fouls available down low.

I still don't understand why people think Massoud was a bad defensive player last year (or any worse than anyone else in the "rotation").

If you want to worry about a guy on defense, it's probably Ian Dubose.

I actually really like this lineup. Not that I have a choice but still. Ody did a rather incredible job last year given that he was as a true frosh going against much more experienced bigs. I think Ody is going to surprise many this next year.

And I know he isn't flashy and is a walk-on, but Okeke is a bruiser that plays his ass off. I was at the Duke Wake game last year in Cameron, and he was one of the big reasons we stayed in that game down low. He returns a year stronger and more mature. He will make the most of any minutes he is given.
I totally admit I have zero knowledge or insight to back this up, but my gut tells me that Ody seems like the exact kind of player that could thrive like mad under a coach like Forbes.

Went through Goodman's transfer list - https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/

Here are all of the GRAD players over 6'7" that have NOT committed to play elsewhere already. It's not a pretty list. A lot of stiffs. Makes it easy to see why Mutts is getting a lot of attention... But it doesn't sound like he's coming here.

Justyn Mutts, 6-7, 220, F, Grad (2 years left), Delaware (12.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg)
EJ Datcher, 6-10, 260, C, Grad, Mississippi State
Max Curran, 6-9, 205, F, Grad, UMBC (3.7 ppg)
Taj Price, 6-7, 210, F, Grad, NJIT
Austin Trice, 6-8, 240, F, Grad, Portland State
Mahamadou Kaba-Camara, 7-0, 270, C, Grad, Cal State Northridge (0.9 ppg)
Jarvis Doles, 6-8, 210, F, Grad, Drexel (2.0 ppg – 5 games)
Duje Radja, 6-8, 235, F, Grad, Elon (0.5 ppg – 6 games)
Bobby Arthur-Williams Jr., 6-7, 230, F, Grad, Milwaukee (1.5 ppg – 2 games)
David Erebor, 6-9, 240, F, Grad, Brown
Ian Carter, 6-7, 220, F, Grad, Dartmouth (2.9 ppg)
Jordan Hardwick, 6-7, 200, F, Grad, Coppin State (2.3 ppg)
Connor Niego, 6-8, 210, F, Grad, Holy Cross (8.8 ppg)
Josh Ayeni, 6-8, 210, F, Grad, South Alabama (2.3 ppg)
Chandler Davis, 6-8, 235, F, Grad, Texas State
Mike Henn, 6-8, 205, F, Grad., Cal Baptist
Noah Bigirumwami, 6-10, 225, F, Grad, Chicago State (1.8 ppg)

No idea who Forbes can bring in that would be helpful... Is there a Dinos Mitoglou out there to get this late in the cycle?

Back