• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Let's get Connor Niego. At least he gets in the box score. That is, if we don't get Mutts.

Goodwin was on a list of top immediately eligible transfers that I saw (prob posted here) that didn't indicate anything other than him heading to USC, but yeah, if Forbes can flip Chevez, that would be amazing. USC seemed to have a ton of turnover, so maybe that kind of upheaval and being across the country will cause him to reconsider. That Enfield guy is a fraud, anyway, as we all know.

Last edited:
Goodwin was on a list of top immediately eligible transfers that I saw (prob posted here) that didn't indicate anything other than him heading to USC, but yeah, if Forbes can flip Chevez, that would be amazing. USC seemed to have a ton of turnover, so maybe that kind of upheaval and being across the country will cause him to reconsider. That Enfield guy is a fraud, anyway, as we all know.

It appears USC officially added him last week, so that dream is dead.

But look at his wife...

I still don't understand why people think Massoud was a bad defensive player last year (or any worse than anyone else in the "rotation").

If you want to worry about a guy on defense, it's probably Ian Dubose.

1. Eye Test (fair or not)
2. In his last 60 minutes of play combined he had 3 rebounds total across 5 games.
3. Had more than one steal in a game once last year. Had more than one block in a game once last year.
4. Not quite a 3 not quite a 4 yet.

Massoud was a 3 point shooting role player last year. He was a bad defender on a team that played putrid defense. He has some serious potential and who knows how much he'll improve with better coaching, but expecting him to be an ACC-level starter next year is a lot to ask.

Well, he's probably going to be an ACC starter next year, so he has that going for him.

2. In his last 60 minutes of play combined he had 3 rebounds total across 5 games.
3. Had more than one steal in a game once last year. Had more than one block in a game once last year.

Massoud was a 3 point shooting role player last year. He was a bad defender on a team that played putrid defense. He has some serious potential and who knows how much he'll improve with better coaching, but expecting him to be an ACC-level starter next year is a lot to ask.

If you are talking eye test, his defense was not bad. It's like the people who said he was a TO machine even though he wasn't.

His natural position is actually SG. He has very good court vision, can be a top level shooter, is a solid passer and can handle for a SG. His length would be a big plus on D that position.

He didn't get sustained runs often last year. When you are always looking over your shoulder and waiting to be yanked, it's rare if your play doesn't suffer.

FYI to everyone - Massoud was statistically the 3rd best defensive player on the team last year. Sarr was #1 and Ody was #2. He was also the highest ranked True Freshman on the team. The Massoud bashing on this board is retarded on another level. He's 6'8, elite shooter, can guard SGs, SFs, and PFs, can play inside and outside...he's one of the best players on the team and the only reason his numbers weren't higher is he played under Manning.

I'm not going to anoint any of our guys as first team all acc. What I will say is that manning was so awful that we don't quite know what we have with most of them. I'm confident Forbes will get the most out of each of them and by mid season (whenever that is) we'll have a much better idea about their talent level and skill set.

One thing I am NOT worried about w/ Massoud is his willingness to put in work.

He's going to be good this year.

If you believe statistics that label Massoud a better defender than Chaundee Brown, go right ahead. If you think his handle screams shooting guard, more power to you.

I have high hopes for him and certainly would love to believe that Manning's influence held him back from being an ACC starter and a top 3 defender on the team as a 2 guard. It's not bashing the kid to say he had some limitations as a freshman last year. But he got double digit minutes in all but 3 of our last 20 games, so he had a good chunk of floor time on a really bad team to prove himself. He looked great at times, almost exclusively when he was hitting 3's, and he disappeared at times.

What are the expectations for him if you're on the RJ hype bandwagon? 12 and 8 in 30 minutes a game? Because it sounds like people expect him to be a much better player than Mucius was this year, for example.

I'm just going off his ability to shoot, which Forbes values.

I don't expect him to put up big rebounding numbers, but I suspect his passing will continue to improve w/ more time on the floor.

The reasons I expect improvement are pretty basic...
*Jump from freshman to sophomore year
*Strong work ethic
*Another year older (time to work on his body)
*Better coach / system for his talents
*Lots more minutes

I think he'll be a double digit scorer this year... But that's about as far as I'm willing to go.

I don’t think 10-12 is unrealistic. He’s not going to be close to the 8 boards though. Definitely more of a guard whereas Mucius is more versatile and can play in the lane.

Massoud is a legit 6-8 and has range. That's where basketball is going.

Like a lot of freshman, his weakness is (lack of) strength. Feel like that did impact Massoud's rebounding, his ability to score inside (he shot only 36% from 2 despite being 6-8) and his defense. That said, strength can and should improve with each season. Massoud is not low post player and will never put major rebounding numbers, but he will be more able to hold his own on the glass.

Next year, with more minutes and an increase in size and strength, fair to think Massoud will score double digits (a jump from 4.8 ppg to 10+ is significant), and will be more of presence on the boards. At his size, he will always be difficult to shoot over.

Agree with those who saw lots of potential in Massoud last season, while also recognizing there is a lot to improve upon.

FYI to everyone - Massoud was statistically the 3rd best defensive player on the team last year. Sarr was #1 and Ody was #2. He was also the highest ranked True Freshman on the team. The Massoud bashing on this board is retarded on another level. He's 6'8, elite shooter, can guard SGs, SFs, and PFs, can play inside and outside...he's one of the best players on the team and the only reason his numbers weren't higher is he played under Manning.

Don't you know that stats only count if they prove the point one is trying to make.

I don’t see anyone criticizing Massoud’s defense. I just think in general that if you don’t defend you won’t play for Forbes. That’s a 180 from Manning so it will be interesting to see which guys quickly embrace defense and who is slower to come around. I have no opinion on where Massoud will land. I do have a feeling that after 4 years in Rick Barnes’ program Johnson will excel on D. That’s likely to earn him significant minutes.

To me, Dubose is the biggest wildcard. Big(ish) guard who was the main scorer for a terrible program... Can also rebound. Will he be able to increase his efficiency w/ less usage? Will he be able to play any kind of defense at all?

53/121 on 3s his SOPH year (43.8%) - 30.4mpg
45/138 as a JR (32.6%) - 33.1mpg

I can't see him playing more than 30mpg w/ Johnson & Antonio in the fold... So it'd be great if he could shoot closer to 40% from 3 in a smaller role.

I have to believe we're going to jack up a ton of 3s this season w/ Dubose, Antonio, Johnson, & Massoud getting a lot of minutes at the 2/3.

I don’t see anyone criticizing Massoud’s defense. I just think in general that if you don’t defend you won’t play for Forbes. That’s a 180 from Manning so it will be interesting to see which guys quickly embrace defense and who is slower to come around. I have no opinion on where Massoud will land. I do have a feeling that after 4 years in Rick Barnes’ program Johnson will excel on D. That’s likely to earn him significant minutes.

I want Massoud to start also but I have the distinct impression that you better be gritty, grimy, tough, and together on D if you want major minutes. Last year there was no accountability for poor defense. There is legit competition for starting jobs and I think those who buy in to the defensive philosophy will get the most minutes. I hope that’s Massoud.

Your quote very much insinuates you are calling him out defensively. Can't remember if you were the same poster who called Massoud a bad defender months ago, but this has been discussed ad nauseam and the numbers don't change. Manning was a terrible defensive coach, if you can even say he coached defense, which is debatable. Meanwhile, I don't remember any posters signaling out any other players for their defense last year under Manning. It's just weird.

Back