• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

The transfer waiver rule hasn’t been approved and almost certainly won’t be for this upcoming season. These guys will need to sit out or get a special waiver due to the coaching change.
I have a feeling that they'll be a push for a loosening of the waivers regardless of how the vote goes. If it's set for implementation next year, there's going to be calls for large scale exceptions for the undergrad guys that left out of anticipation of immediate playing time.

Manning was even worse than we all thought. Not only was he a terrible coach with the record to show, all along he was actively subverting the program. He turned it into some Danny Manning cult. His tenure was not mere incompetence like Jeff [Redacted], it’s proving to be something far more sinister. What an asshole. It’s imperative all of these guys get out now. Man what a shitshow.

And this didn’t just start this season. Where the fuck was Ron Wellman for 5 years while Manning was constructing his cult?

When this all plays out, the difference between players Manning signed to play for Wake and those that actually graduated from Wake is going to be staggering. Like even Bob Huggins is going to look at it and shake his head.

Manning was even worse than we all thought. Not only was he a terrible coach with the record to show, all along he was actively subverting the program. He turned it into some Danny Manning cult. His tenure was not mere incompetence like Jeff [Redacted], it’s proving to be something far more sinister. What an asshole. It’s imperative all of these guys get out now. Man what a shitshow.

And this didn’t just start this season. Where the fuck was Ron Wellman for 5 years while Manning was constructing his cult?

Yeah, the only thing missing is him declaring all the players had to stay celibate, while he slept with all the women.

In past years, most of these guys would be looking at a redshirt year at a new school. That would tip the balance to "stay" for many. Now they can go and play immediately.

Change is always scary to some degree. All these kids had choices when they came out of HS and picked a coach/college combination. Now the more important part of that combo has been changed with them having little/no input on the decision.

The portal and no sit rule gives them a chance to repick their coach/college combo. So they are doing that. Maybe they find Forbes/Wake the best for them. Maybe not. Wherever they end up, the decision is on them, not somebody else.

Do they (existing Wake players) want the school they know and a coach they don't? Or is a completely new situation better? The next few weeks will be interesting.

This is why there IS a free for all in the transfer portal. And this is incorrect. Kids will NOT be able to pick a new school and immediately play next year. Sarr maybe will be able to apply for an exception because he could no longer get his name into the NBA draft (he likely wouldn't have been drafted if he did), but he's it. All the others will have to sit out like any normal transfer.

Unfortunately so and probably why our team was horrible as they played as individuals and not as a team. The stark contrast of hearing Forbes talking about his teams being a family vs. Danny's complete lack of vision/identity as a coach for his team (both outside bball as well as on the court) shows there is no real closeness among the players so easy to just bolt as they have never played for each other and grades/graduation are not a real goal.

Danny is about himself and no more evidence than Sarr getting absolutely railroaded by Danny if his quote is true. How disconnected from reality could he be to think that he had any chance of coming back. I can't imagine if I failed that extraordinarily year after year in every facet (bball results, classroom, etc.) to assume I was coming back. And to impact Sarr's options is really upsetting if Sarr truly didn't put his name out there due to danny convincing him not to (after publicly saying he did encourage him to test waters?). Just so dishonest of Manning and hopefully Sarr can see that and also can see the stark difference in personality and character with Forbes.

As to the others let them do as they must but as Grobe once said to a knothead his first year @ Ohio who didn't like the discipline/work - "We went 1-10 with you last year and we can go 1-10 without you."

Just hope each of the players is talking to the right people to advise them and they realize just how bad of a coach Danny is and how much better they could be as a team if a couple of the key ones were to stay especially Sarr.

Yeah, the only thing missing is him declaring all the players had to stay celibate, while he slept with all the women.

I wondered this for a long time. The downfall of the program was really incredible. I hope Manning didnt propose a social justice persecution issue and plant that in players heads. Even at 1/2 his contract, he was really the best paid coach in the history of college basketball given his record.

I'm definitely not saying the sky is falling.

I'm somewhat bothered by the vitriol being directed at our players... They committed to Manning and probably feel like he was done dirty. Given the "us vs. them" mentality that seemingly was fomented by Manning's failure, it makes sense that they might feel like they are being rejected by a fan base that is super excited by a long overdue coaching change. Agree with shogun6066 that they'll be remembered by how they left (and they should be)... But I'm not a big fan of GTFO, especially when these players are just exploring their options.

Also, re-building a roster in May is going to be very difficult, which is why I think we'll be REALLY bad this year. But Forbes has the flexibility to take existing pieces and bring in some talent for 2021-22, so hopefully it is just one more year of being shitty. And at least we'll have hope (and an entertaining, engaged coach who hates to lose).

Not sure if a one-time transfer exemption rule would help us or hurt us... Makes it easier to rebuild the roster, but also makes it easier for almost everyone to leave.

Agree with this. Having read Anthony Bilas' tweet, there's no question that the current players have internalized the criticisms and (legitimate) grievance against Manning for his repeatedly terrible performance while somehow cashing gargantuan paychecks plus the lack of prior institutional accountability by the university for said poor performance.

Hope the kids do whatever makes them happy and while I hope that involves committing to Forbes, if not I hope that Forbes can cobble together enough transfers to avoid being a total disaster next year and expect that the relaxed transfer rule in 2021 plus a couple of late recruiting wins targeting late bloomer prospects will have us competitive the following year.

Wasn't there some of this when Prosser died, and there was talk that Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Woods, etc. might back out of coming to Wake and were on the fence. And Dino and others convinced them to stay and look what happened? Granted, they were big time recruits. And there was no Transfer Portal back then. Who knows what could happen once Forbes has time to talk with these guys and put his much improved system in place. If he's already talked to them, and they stay away, then so be it. Big time changes coming and I'm fine with that. It's a Rebuild, but at least we have a very capable coach for that task.

And Dino was the guy who recruited them. Right or wrong "continuity" was a big part of promoting Dino.

Continuity is a much stronger argument when you're transitioning from a successful era. I want ZERO continuity from the last 10 years. If it means losing a few talented players, then so be it.

I'm not going to freak out over this at all. We don't have Manning anymore and we have a great coach. The future is bright and honestly we don't even know if there will be basketball this year. Also if you do transfer chances are you'll have less workouts and time to prepare for a whole new coach/team so probably not the wisest move. The most important thing is get your guys that want to be here and be part of something great. Like Mike Tomlin said "we can't do this with hostages we need volunteers."

Last edited:
Yeah, unless Forbes hits a miracle on the grad transfer market, we're gonna probably suck next year. What a shitshow Manning left this program. But, it's also possible a decent chunk of the conference will also suck next year. Try to pick up a couple grad transfers, grind out a kind of shitty 14-17 (7-13)-type season, and turn over this crapbag roster ASAP with the 2021 class.

Always keep in mind that most college basketball teams suck.

Yeah, unless Forbes hits a miracle on the grad transfer market, we're gonna probably suck next year. What a shitshow Manning left this program. But, it's also possible a decent chunk of the conference will also suck next year. Try to pick up a couple grad transfers, grind out a kind of shitty 14-17 (7-13)-type season, and turn over this crapbag roster ASAP with the 2021 class.

LOL. Our last two coaches have won 7 or more conference games exactly once in 10 seasons.

Well Chill did a heck of job holding things together for 5 days! I love the man for all he did for Wake as a player, but have not been impressed with him on the bench. Guards did not improve and he was given the task of holding things together and trying to get the remaining players and recruits to give the new guy a fair audience. He has not acquitted himself very well. Maybe he should just move over to the AD's office. Really hard to figure out why anyone would want to play for DFL, but I guess he is a better Kool-Aid salesman than a basketball coach.

Or...Chill was never on board with the us vs them mentality and they know it? Maybe they never pledged allegiance to Chill like they did Manning?

I just cannot fathom Chill participating or perpetuating that kind of attitude. That’s not who he is.

Or...Chill was never on board with the us vs them mentality and they know it? Maybe they never pledged allegiance to Chill like they did Manning?

I just cannot fathom Chill participating or perpetuating that kind of attitude. That’s not who he is.

And yet he sat on the bench next to Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning. How do you reconcile that fact with your perspective on who he is?

Brandon was definitely a me/us vs The World type.

Back