• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

I believe Wright’s dad is good friends with Manning. Interestingly, he should have played a lot more at Wake.

Wright may have a good case for a waiver if he transfers to a school nearer his father's home. There were reports of Sharone Wright, Senior having serious medical issues.

The evidence suggests these guys just aren’t very good regardless. Sure it would be nice if some of the guys choose tot return, mostly because it would be a nice look for Forbes, but I don’t really think they matter in the grand scheme.

We were ranked #103 by KP. I guess a nice thought that we actually had good players and Manning was so bad he ruined them, but when we had John Collins we were ranked 35th. Even Manning’s last Tulsa team was ranked 82. I would say priority #1 for Forbes to turn the program is getting new talent from the transfer market.

Take a guy like Massoud — his likely ceiling is something like Austin Arians, who is the classic grad transfer available every year. Sarr and Brown are nice but they are also rising seniors and not nearly as good as Collins.

Agreed — yes we likely would have one a few more games with Forbes last year , and might have moved up a spot or two from the ACC basement next year. But this idea that these same players are a bubble or tournament team with Forbes is crazy. Let Forbes get his own guys and build on that.

Agreed — yes we likely would have one a few more games with Forbes last year , and might have moved up a spot or two from the ACC basement next year. But this idea that these same players are a bubble or tournament team with Forbes is crazy. Let Forbes get his own guys and build on that.

I agree, let Forbes get his guys, we’re likely not gonna be good next year but the 21-22 season is when Forbes is really gonna get it going.

Wright may have a good case for a waiver if he transfers to a school nearer his father's home. There were reports of Sharone Wright, Senior having serious medical issues.

Senior lost a leg to post-surgery complications fairly recently. Jr. should get a waiver and his off & on status last season is certainly understandable and excusable.

I disagree. Did you watch us play last year? The lack of defense, the mind boggling substitution patterns, the absence of ball movement on offense. Forbes took a bunch of lower rated players than those at Wake and went 30-4 with a kenpom of 56. He would have had that Wake team with at least 18-19 wins (off the top of my head give us wins over BC, UNCC, GT, VT, Clemson, Pitt, and maybe Cuse, NC state, UNC) and on the bubble.

I disagree. Did you watch us play last year? The lack of defense, the mind boggling substitution patterns, the absence of ball movement on offense. Forbes took a bunch of lower rated players than those at Wake and went 30-4 with a kenpom of 56. He would have had that Wake team with at least 18-19 wins (off the top of my head give us wins over BC, UNCC, GT, VT, Clemson, Pitt, and maybe Cuse, NC state, UNC) and on the bubble.

I agree with this. We beat Duke and Carolina, because in those games we played smart basketball. When we played smart basketball, it wasn’t a bad team at all. I’d say with the team we had last year, Forbes would have us in the middle of the pack in the ACC. I think he could do that this year if he gets Neath Massoud Mucius and Sarr back and adds some big time grad transfers. If they don’t come back it could take another year or two.

Massoud has a significantly higher ceiling than Austin Arians.

Last edited:

I don't have a strong opinion either way but I don't think anyone would disagree that ANY resemblance of fundamentals and rational substitution patterns would have easily won us 3-4 more games last season. And our defense.... well... it automatically is improved and Forbes hasn't even held his first practice!!! It couldn't get any worse.

Massoud has a significantly higher ceiling than Austin Arians.

An ACC starter on a First Four team who averaged 8.5 pts with great percentages?

An ACC starter on a First Four team who averaged 8.5 pts with great percentages?

I would give him a similar ceiling given his recruiting ranking, tbh. Massoud was a 4-star recruit on Rivals (#129 overall) and ESPN, but a 3-star on 247 (#160). He was ranked #26 PF on Rivals, #31 SF on ESPN, and #37 SF on 247.

When the score was close and Wake was trailing late in the game, Massoud was on the floor. He is the type of player Forbes recruits...talented offensively and willing to learn defense. He wants the ball with the game on the line and came through on several occasions. He is a willing defender and will improve with teaching. He has the potential and confidence to become a stone cold assassin on the court.

Agree. All of Wake's teams under Manning underperformed their talent. Defense was the number one reason, but there were a ton more.

I have yet to hear if Forbes primary offensive strategy is to have the other team commit fouls on us.

I can stomach poor talent losing to better talent. Watching guys like Sarr & Brown losing to inferior players is the reason Manning had to go.

I’m excited to see Neath develop (hopefully at Wake). Dude’s got some serious bounce and explosiveness for a freshman. His body is developed and he has good height. Later in the year, he started to find Sarr on lobs and off rolls much more than Childress. He’s very promising and I feel confident he will find his way back to Wake very soon. Not going to go as far as to say he will be a Jeff Teague/CP3, but he he will certainly be a great player by the time he graduates. Behind Sarr and Chaundee, he’s my most important player for Forbes to get back.

I would give him a similar ceiling given his recruiting ranking, tbh. Massoud was a 4-star recruit on Rivals (#129 overall) and ESPN, but a 3-star on 247 (#160). He was ranked #26 PF on Rivals, #31 SF on ESPN, and #37 SF on 247.

Massoud>Arians. If you think otherwise, never become a basketball scout.

Strick, you’ll never become a basketball scout.

Back