• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Game 9: NJ Institute of Technology - 8 pm Saturday ACCN

totally agree

but i still remember losing at davidson with o'kelley
Yup, that was an ugly one, remember listening to it on the radio. I would still like to see us do a series with them in the future.

We've been pretty good in years past about scheduling some in-state opponents in the non-conference schedule. Last year we played App. Two years ago we played WSSU, Western, and A&T in the non-conference. We've played Charlotte several times in the past. For whatever reason this year we only scheduled Elon.

Yup, that was an ugly one, remember listening to it on the radio. I would still like to see us do a series with them in the future.

We've been pretty good in years past about scheduling some in-state opponents in the non-conference schedule. Last year we played App. Two years ago we played WSSU, Western, and A&T in the non-conference. We've played Charlotte several times in the past. For whatever reason this year we only scheduled Elon.
I remember losing at Charlotte in 2019

We’ve also played Wilmington in relatively recent memory. I wouldn’t mind us seeing us schedule a few games on the road at in-state places just so we have some road experience.

Hey all, as a prep for NJIT...The Boots on The Ground Pod is back after our brief hiatus with an hour-long basketball special. We discuss the past two critical victories for Wake Forest, the Efton Reid effect on this team, what happens in the minutes game with Zach Keller and Matthew Marsh and where things stand with Damari Monsanto.

Plus, we look back on a statement I made months ago, that with Efton, Wake Forest was a serious threat to make the NCAA Tournament and a dark horse to make noise once there. It's a statement I doubled down on in this episode.

All that and more on The Boots on the Ground Pod. Thanks to everyone for listening!

Western hasn’t been very good at all lately so decent odds most years that was also just a Q4. That said I don’t get playing NJIT or Delaware State at all….theyre never gonna be anything but bottom 50-75 teams in the country

Western hasn’t been very good at all lately so decent odds most years that was also just a Q4. That said I don’t get playing NJIT or Delaware State at all….theyre never gonna be anything but bottom 50-75 teams in the country
Advanced stats have killed the fun of college basketball getting weird with some strange on a cool December evening.

It seems there are a lot of local teams in the 100-200 range we’d be better off playing from a NET perspective. Why not schedule games against Davidson, Western Carolina, Winthrop? Better yet, schedule a game AT Davidson for the extra NET boost and I bet a solid amount of Wake fans attend.

Because these games have zero upside for WF and these schools are demanding more return games.

So you have to weigh the boost to SOS and local interest versus being Winthrop's or App State's national championship game in November/December.

Constructing a non-conference basketball schedule ain't as simple as many here make it out to be.

Because these games have zero upside for WF and these schools are demanding more return games.

So you have to weigh the boost to SOS and local interest versus being Winthrop's or App State's national championship game in November/December.

Constructing a non-conference basketball schedule ain't as simple as many here make it out to be.
I’m sure there are financial implications too for a school like Wake that has to be way more strategic with resource allocation than many.

If playing NJIT instead of UNCW puts another $50K in the pockets of coaches then that’s probably better for the program ultimately. Especially when gate revenue just isn’t there to offset.

So don't boost the schedule because the opponent might try hard? I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

I'm not saying that constructing a non-conference basketball schedule is easy but it certainly isn't rocket science either. There are like 300 non power conference basketball teams and we have really good historical information on how good or bad a team might be. And here we are playing three out of state, bottom 70 in the country teams over a three week period in December.

I know we need to be careful and blow NJIT out of the water, but this would be a game for Keller/MMM and Clark/Canka to get some run.

Building some depth going into conference play will be very helpful - even if it’s just on the defensive end and five hard fouls.
Aaron Clark seems like a guy we need to see more on the court.

His bio looks solid and I missed the one game where he got some run, but reviews were positive.

Will tune in to see him, in particular.

Yeah, I remember earlier this year when the schedule was coming out piece by piece and we were like, "Huh... That's weird" every time a sub-300 team was announced. I think I even justified it for a while... "Everybody schedules 1 or 2 of these games."

But we basically have 5 games against teams that do nothing but drag down the metrics if we don't win by 25+. Makes no sense given everything Forbes has said about scheduling.

Yeah, I remember earlier this year when the schedule was coming out piece by piece and we were like, "Huh... That's weird" every time a sub-300 team was announced. I think I even justified it for a while... "Everybody schedules 1 or 2 of these games."

But we basically have 5 games against teams that do nothing but drag down the metrics if we don't win by 25+. Makes no sense given everything Forbes has said about scheduling.
They addressed the high end of scheduling but not the low end.

During spring/summer of 2024, Forbes and Currie should just save themselves the trouble and contract out the creation of the 2024-2025 OOC to ogboards.com posters.

A number appear to have ample time on their hands so this could be a win-win.

Line opens at Wake -23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Already -24 everywhere I see domestically.

I hate betting these lines overall. I do think Wake wins this by 30 or so but I'm concerned about NJIT hitting some threes. Of course....flip side is they miss 'em all and we win by 50. Let's do that one. Just win (by 30) baby!

Trivia time:

Can you guess which school holds the following NCAA D1 basketball records:
  1. Most losses in a winless season?
  2. Most consecutive defeats in one season?
  3. Most consecutive defeats over more than one season?
  4. What is that loser school's nickname?
Did you guess the NJIT Highlanders? If so, you are smarter than the average bear.

Yes, NJIT has a sad MBB history. The Highlanders went D-1 starting with the 2006-7 season, and in their 18 seasons at that level of college basketball, NJIT has four (4) winning seasons, but it gets even worse than that. Between a 78-74 win over Longwood on February 19, 2007 and a January 21, 2009 61-51 win over Bryant, the Highlanders lost an NCAA D-1 record 51 straight games, including a perfect 0-29 2008 season. NJIT has never received an NCAA or NIT bid. The one highlight in NJIT basketball history was a December 6, 2014 win over #17 Michigan:

B4Mn2LdIQAEr_jN.jpg

So, it can happen, but its not going to happen on Saturday at the Joel.

Here is a very quick take on the Highlanders:

NJIT 2-6 (#342). The 2023-4 Highlanders have played two games against top 100 teams losing 101-60 @#38 Miami and 86-68 @#98 G Mason. NJIT is coming off its best game of the season, upsetting #198 Fordham 80-77. Fordham barfed on itself to lose this game, as the Rams essentially led the entire game, but couldn't put away the pesky Highlanders, who took the first lead with less than 2 minutes to go. The analytics paint an ugly picture for the Highlanders (keep in mind that there are 362 D-1 teams):

Offense:

Efficiency: 96.2 #323
E FG%: 46.7 #276
TO%: 20 #277
Off. Reb. %: 26% #271
3 PT%: 34% #133
2 PT% 43% #337

Defense:

Efficiency: 113.2 #341
E FG%: 515 #229
TO%: 16% #265
Off Reb.%: 38% #352
3 PT%: 39% #339
2 PT%:48% #107

While NJIT's coach, 6-10 Grant Billmeier (assistant under Kevin Willard at Seton Hall and MD - Billmeier played at Seton Hall), is one of the tallest in college basketball, he wants his Highlander squad playing small ball. In his first year as HC, Billmeier decided that three point shot would be the centerpiece of the NJIT rebuild; so, this season, 43% of NJITs FG attempts are from behind the arc, and 37% of the Highlander offense comes from three. Last night, that plan worked as NJIT hit 48% from three and the Highlanders upset Fordham. NJIT is a small team (#314 in height); so, they can't score inside. Guard the three and pound NJIT inside seems like the obvious gameplan.

Roster:
Yesterday in the win over Fordam, NJIT started:

6-1 frosh Sebastian Robinson: 10 ppg; 3 apg; 26% from three; 7 points; 5 assists in last night's win
6-4 Sr. Adam Hess: Cal. Baptist/Salt Lake CC/UTEP/Eastern New Mexico transfer; rep as a three point sniper; 45% from three; leads the team in attempts and makes from behind the arc
6-4 Sr. Mekhi Gray: 4 year starter; 29% from three; leads team in fouls and TOs; scored a team high 21 points in the win over Fordham
6-5 6th yr. Elijah Buchanan: Manhattan transfer; 24 year-old; sixth year of college basketball; 38% from three;
6-9 Sr. Daniel Schreier: another Manhattan transfer; coming off his first college start; had 4 points and 2 boards against Forham; has not made a three since 2019 (seriously)

Bench:

6-9 6th yr. Kjell de Graff: started first two games; injured for 4 games, but is now back; can shoot the three (36% last season);
6-0 frosh Tariq Francis: 9 ppg 2 apg; 35% from three;

The Projection:

KP: WF 86 NJIT 63
Torvik: WF 87 NJIT 64

NJIT starts a three game stretch for WF against NCAA D1 weaklings (#342 NJIT, #308 Delaware State -- BTW, NJIT's other win was against Del.State, and #295 Presbyterian). Previously, the Deacs played with their food against #299 Elon (trailing by as much as 21 points) and #343 Charleston Southern (trailing more than 5 minutes into the 2nd half); so, it's time for WF to pounce on a weaker opponent from the opening tip, and not let up... ever. NJIT is a one-trick pony; shoot a lot of threes, hope the high variance nature of that shot keeps it in the game; it worked yesterday; it should not work on Saturday against an improving WF team.

As stated on other threads, this WF team is undervalued. The younger players (Miller, Sallis and Parker) are starting to jell; WF now has an athletic presence inside with Efton eligible; and, WF is playing with urgency to make for lost opportunities in losses to UGA, Utah and LSU. Would expect the line to open higher than the projected 23.5 as the books noticed a lot of early winning action on WF yesterday as they got caught off guard with the Efton eligibility news. Even so, would like WF at any number below 26. Would tread lightly as NJIT will continue firing threes; that said, Miami beat this team by 41; WF needs to make a similar statement.
That's your very quick take?

Back