• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Game #1 - Fairfield Stags - November 7 - 8pm - ACCN+

I missed most the first half initially so just rewatched the first few minutes. A couple very nice rebounds immediately for Monsanto. Then Monsanto had a very rough sequence over about a minute before going out:

1) fell asleep guarding the inbounder under the basket — it wasn’t his man that scored but the pass was way too easy. Forbes looked pissed.
2) Monsanto attempts the long step back 2 with 16 on the shot clock at the other end.
3) doesn’t pressure the ball at the top of the key leading to another easy pass to their big man who dunked on Marsh — Forbes body language not showing a happy person.
4) next defensive possession fouls on the 3 and is out after the tv timeout.

I think we are going to need him big time to reach our ceiling (and not be a 8th-11th in ACC squad) so I wish he got back out there again after that stretch. But he was disengaged in that stretch and maybe Forbes had seen enough for tonight.

Also thought Hildreth was very good tonight. Not the guy we want to be relying on to score, but he’s going to play more than I would have expected. A little bit of Marcus Smart to his game, the good (impacts the game in a ton of ways and plays with consistent intensity) and the bad (not a good shooter and occasionally tries to do too much).

Just checking Fairfield's schedule from last year.... They almost got an auto bid after losing in the championship game to Iona so I'm not ready to completely quit yet
That isn’t true, but they did get eliminated by an Elite 8 team well before the championship.

Hildreth isn't great but he's one of the only people on the team who actually attacks the basket and tries to make his own o

Very true, unfortunately he lacks the athleticism to be able to finish consistently at this level I’m afraid. Others guys could learn a lot from his effort though.
Agree..he routinely gives max effort and it's noticeable

Wasn't pretty but a win and a cover (I got it at 11.5).

Hildreth made some great plays and then some really bad plays. The sequence where he made a nice steal, dribbled it up, and then proceeded to turn it right back over 5 seconds later comes to mind.

Seems like we have a really deep squad this year - 10 players played and also expect Ituka to get mins when he gets back from injury.

It was a win.

Carr, Klintman and Hildreth were a combined 13-23 from the field. The rest of the players shot a collective 5-23. Appleby and Williamson finally provided offense at the end of game from the line to stretch the lead. An disjointed offensive performance lacking rhythm or flow that was salvaged by decent foul shooting.

The defense limited Fairfield to 38% from the field and 28% from three for 59 points. Perimeter defense was fairly consistent but the low post defense was beaten more often than not. Bradford flashed the first five minutes of the second half on D and the boards.

Carr played well. Klintman may rearrange preseason thoughts on the rotation. Excellent first game.

Hildreth spent 14 of his 28 minutes at the point and 5 minutes at the two. He took it to the low post at will drawing the Fairfield defense with him. Stayed composed waiting for someone to fill the open wing for an uncontested shot. That didn't happen so he battled for baskets alone. Hit 4-7 down low and drew several fouls. Left some points on the foul line. He's not without warts but he was the most important guard on the floor tonight. Two turnovers in 28 minutes talk.

Monsanto is a mystery. I was surprised he didn't play in the second half. I thought his rebounding merited some minutes.

If Hildreth is our back up point guard, we are in trouble.

So I didn’t watch the game, but there’s no way we make the tournament, right ? Thanks.

Was there tonight, as usual it was a very low energy crowd, if you could even call it a crowd. On to the game:
Davien is our leader, he didn't play well but he will be fine. He had ups and downs last year, and when his shot is falling hes tough.
Appleby seems to be a good PG, and we need that, he was in some early foul trouble, but can really put on the jets and dish it. Don't think he's a double digit scorer but a facilitator.
Carr may be our best player, he needs to be a double double guy, he can score in a variety of ways.
Marsh/Bradford didn't impress one bit, not sure what they gave us honestly. They got dunked on, rebounded over, didn't provide much to me. Very concerning.
Bobi is going to be an All Acc player eventually, he has a super high ceiling and he will be extremely important this year.
Likewise Keller seems to have a good foundation, not sure he'll be a massive contributor this year but a good role player and a good player for the deacs.
Hildreth gives 100% effort, which is awesome. But if you're relying on a 6'4 guard who plays like Charles Barkley in today's game you're screwed. He just isn't very talented, but he did win this game gotta give him credit for that. Just don't think we're gonna be good if hes playing 25-30 mins a night.
Monsanto I just don't know what to say. I love the guy, I want him out there for 30 minutes. A few people were screaming at Forbes to put him in. Obviously Forbes doesn't want him in right now, but I think it's a massive mistake. Killing his confidence, he's been through a lot let him work out his game in these early games. If he can be a difference maker we will be decent. Without it I think we win 13-16 games max.

Followed the gamecast and was very glad to see all the made ft's down the stretch. That's what all good teams do to win close games. a good sign for the future

Watched the replay of the game because I was busy when it was live... Quick thoughts.

I hope Supreme Cook is a good player, because he abused our frontcourt defense. I am shocked Fairfield didn't go to him more in the 2nd half.

Until Ituka is healthy, Appleby needs to be on the court at all times. The offense looks terrible without him. Williamson & Hildreth should not be running the offense.

Feels like we have a rotation of 9 capable players (10 when Ituka returns)... I'd like to see the top guys get some separation from the others. I think Appleby, Williamson, and Carr are capable of that. Hoping that Monsanto is, as well.

The two Freshmen (Keller & Klintman) are going to be very good for us. They both need to put on some weight (especially Keller), but I suspect their roles will only grow as the season goes on. I think Klintman just needs minutes to get more comfortable out there. Keller's playing time will have a lot more to do with matchups and how our bigs are playing on a given night.

I'm not as concerned about the 5 as others seem to be. I was hoping to see more from Marsh, but Bradford looked decent. Carr played a bit of small ball 5, and that was also fine. And Keller can eat some minutes there, too.

Hildreth took a lot of criticism in this thread, but he's scrappy. Would prefer that he not be our primary ballhandler, but with Ituka out he was the only guy looking to get to the rim (aside from Williamson... but that's not his game). Too early to say if his shot has improved at all because it appeared that nobody could shoot it last night.

Monsanto needs to be on the court, but that seemingly depends on him. He was not good in his limited action last night, especially on the defensive end. Taylor plays defense. Feels like Forbes views defense as the key to this team being good (he's probably right), so that's the priority in terms of getting minutes.

Love Stan Lewter. He was in midseason form last night.

I think we'll all feel better after we destroy Georgia on Friday night. It's gonna happen.

Back