• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Game #1 - Fairfield Stags - November 7 - 8pm - ACCN+

Hildreth is a mediocre player at best and probably doesn’t belong in the ACC but I can’t be too mad because of the effort he puts in every game.

Should be fun to watch this team build around Klintman, Keller, and Ituka when he gets back. A lot of young talent that will be fun the next 3-4 years.

I'm concerned about the 5 (as many are). We need Bradford to stay out of foul trouble for rim protection, but also because he can pass the ball well out of the high post. We ran a couple of sets through him to start the game.

Appleby and Williamson will likely not have that bad of a game again all season, so I'm not overly concerned there.

Defense and effort was pretty good for most of the night in spite of a bad offensive night overall.

Hildreth can be frustrating to watch, especially given his limitations athletically, but we lose the game without him last night. No clue why people are targeting him for their ire.

Hildreth is a mediocre player at best and probably doesn’t belong in the ACC but I can’t be too mad because of the effort he puts in every game.
This is where I land on him as well. He puts in the effort and that's all we can ask of him. The rest is on Forbes if that's what he has to offer us in terms of our best secondary ballhandler etc.

A lot of people seem to forget that Ituka will alleviate some of these concerns as the backup PG when he is out there.

I'm pretty hopeful on Ituka as well, I hope he can come in and be a difference maker. We'd be in much better shape if so. I just don't think you can have Hildreth and TAylor eating a bunch of minutes and being close to no threat to score especially from the outside. Although I did like the one 3ball taylor made, not sure if that will be consistent or not.

Amazing the negative comments for a guy who was 4-9 with 14 points, tied for most assists with 3, had 3 boards, and 2 steals. Also had the most offensive boards of anyone on the team with 2.

Based on the comments made by Forbes last night, it sounds like Ituka may not be back from his injury as quickly as initially hoped. "Definitely" won't play against Georgia.

Really need him to give Appleby some time off the court. Without him we don't have a backup PG.

Hildreth had a pretty good non-conference start last year, and was filling the stat sheet like last night, double figures in four of the first five, good rebounding and a few assists. Then he just basically disappeared after being completely outmatched physically and athletically against LSU, and that was more often the case in the conference. I love the energy, we need it, and I hope it continues and he's made a jump, but I don't think how he scored last night is going to play in the ACC. Like someone else said, no one really shot it well last night from deep, but I think we have more evidence that Williamson, Appleby, and Monsanto can hang at that level, than Hildreth. But great effort last night, especially powering through after missing a couple of bunnies and front ends. Good or bad, he makes shit happen, and sometimes you just need shit to start happening and the ball gets rolling and bouncing all over the place.

I was impressed for the most part with Fairfield. They shot terribly and still were in it late. They've got some talent that should do well in the MAAC.

I think people making definitive declarations after one game is kind of funny. Let's just get through these early season games with wins and get better
yeah Forbes turned the 7th man from Oklahoma into ACC POY who just barely missed being the first ever POY to lead in scoring and assists (but barely missed out due to Chuckie Boeheim).

Yes, the normal ACC Network (not the extra/plus or whatever last night was).

You could also hear how frustrated Cam was after a few missed bunnies and by his poor free throw shooting. Fairfield isn't great but they have some length, I think folks are underestimating Cam's ceiling as a glue guy with nifty YMCA moves. Athletic enough to dunk it after the final buzzer in frustration... Wayyyy too much focus on what he can't do based on game 1 of the year, especially when he struggled but was easily a top 2 player in the game.

The daggers are Marsh and Monsanto. Bradford definitely seems to have some Shoemaker "not gonna dunk it from 1 foot out" issues, but he's massive and did a pretty nice job defensively. Even though we weren't scoring we were still in control early, then Marsh came in and gave up like 3 consecutive buckets and looked like he was in quicksand. Didn't look like a player who was ready for minutes this year, and the Bradford/Keller/Carr combo at 5 has a "serviceable at best" quality to it. And I don't know what to think about Monsanto. Hate to be negative after just 1 game, and I'd completely get it if his world is just too upside down after his family tragedy, but he looked like a player that had just been traded to the Deacs the night before and had never seen a playbook/system and got a few spot minutes because he's talented. Really weird vibe, completely lost his man and assignment multiple times despite only playing a few possessions. Both shots were hero ball... I mean, I hope he figures it out from a basketball perspective, but very worrying.

Real story to me is Bobi. First game ever, 20+ minutes, double digit scorer, led us in boards, hit a 3, shot it well from the line, zero turnovers and one foul. Plus a sweet alley-oop dunk finish for the only real highlight of the game. Has all the makings of a kid that could refine his game and end up being a force in the ACC.

This year still hast the look of a rebuild, but with a potential core of Bobi/Carr/Ituka/Monsanto/Cam/Keller coming back (hopefully) we could be one of those teams that is extremely tough by the end of this year and a definite tourney team the next.

I was impressed for the most part with Fairfield. They shot terribly and still were in it late. They've got some talent that should do well in the MAAC.
Very impressed with their shooting and 1/2 court motion O. This is not a scrap team.

We may be ok In the ACC.

Back