• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Game #1 - Fairfield Stags - November 7 - 8pm - ACCN+

mostly because they kinda look alike, but Bobi reminded me of PJ Dozier a little bit

Hope the lower bowl is actually sold out, and not given away where it'll still be 50% empty.

From the official website writeup:

"I knew this was going to be a really hard game. I have a lot of respect for Jay Young and his team. I was really concerned with how they played Rutgers. They reminded me of some of the teams I've had in the past when I was at East Tennessee State where you go in there and pop a high-major team because they're not ready to go. They're going to win a lot of games. I don't know where they're picked. I saw something that's not correct. I think they have a really good basketball team. They're really hard to prepare for, because they stay with their offense. It's a really hard game for your first game. That's when you got a lot of new guys, and I thought our guys did a really good job paying attention to detail to put the game plan into the game and how we were going to defend all those actions. We didn't get off to a great start offensively, but we didn't let our offense dictate how we defended and that kept us in the game. Ty and Andrew got in some foul trouble, but our bench really helped us. Bobi, Cam, Keller and even Bradford started and played pretty well.

We ended the half with seven stops in a row from the 4:33 mark. That really turned the table for us going into halftime. In the second half I didn't think we fouled as much and that really kind of helped us and kept them off the line. We only had 10 turnovers and four of those were charges, so only six live-ball turnovers, which is pretty good. They can't turn defense into offense that way. Carr got off to a great start. Daivien made some free throws late. I don't think he and Ty played as well as they can play. Cam played really hard. We scored 71 points, but we left probably a couple or three layups and a couple of one-on-ones on the table there that we probably could have put the lead up a little bit better. I was very happy with that win. I knew it was gonna be a hard one. One of the harder first games I think I've had in my career as far as an opener in a game like that." - head coach Steve Forbes

Thanks for sharing this, some funny lines. Forbes has played at least 2 better teams in an opening game while coaching ETSU (at Northern Kentucky and at Georgia State) to start the season. Fairfield is not projected to be a top-3 finisher in the MAAC, which is not deep. This is not a win against a good team, though it is better competition than we have played in recent seasons to tip-off.

Hope the lower bowl is actually sold out, and not given away where it'll still be 50% empty.
I remember back in the early years of the LJVM for the low attendance games they would invite everyone sitting in the upper level to move down to the lower level. They don't do that anymore but they should.

Thanks for sharing this, some funny lines. Forbes has played at least 2 better teams in an opening game while coaching ETSU (at Northern Kentucky and at Georgia State) to start the season. Fairfield is not projected to be a top-3 finisher in the MAAC, which is not deep. This is not a win against a good team, though it is better competition than we have played in recent seasons to tip-off.
I think when it's all said and done that Fairfield will finish in the top 3 in the MAAC and improve on their current KP. They're not world-beaters by any definition, but Forbes doesn't usually blow smoke about opponents to my knowledge.

I remember back in the early years of the LJVM for the low attendance games they would invite everyone sitting in the upper level to move down to the lower level. They don't do that anymore but they should.
I mean do you really need an invitation?

Yeah they're going to be top 3 in the MAAC. They were picked behind Manhattan who has subsequently lost two coaches and their best player.

I hate to break it to you but it's no longer really necessary as almost no one is sitting upstairs or downstairs. It's that bad.

Season ticket holder and while I hate to do it, you are correct. The attendance is abysmal, even last year besides duke and UNC it wasn't great. It'll take sustained success to change it. And as much as we all follow the team and realize we had a good team last year, we didn't even make the tournament. To an average fan we accomplished nothing.

my apologies, i walked from south student entrance area to 110 and saw the upper stairs taped off so i made an assumption.

Back