• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB: Game #1 - Fairfield Stags - November 7 - 8pm - ACCN+

Sounded like Monsanto's defense stunk. Forbes will not put up with that. So, he pulled him.

And he fouled a 3-point shooter (right?).

Going to be tough to get in his head and get him to focus on defense right now.

That said, a grinding team like Georgia, we need BUCKETS, so I am all about getting Monsanto good looks from 2 or 3.

You love to make personal attacks with the cloak of anonyminity.
wtf are you talking about

you're the one who loves to talk endless amounts of shit about Wake basketball players, "wfu22fan."

i wish that you would stop

Sounded like Monsanto's defense stunk. Forbes will not put up with that. So, he pulled him.

And he fouled a 3-point shooter (right?).

Going to be tough to get in his head and get him to focus on defense right now.

That said, a grinding team like Georgia, we need BUCKETS, so I am all about getting Monsanto good looks from 2 or 3.
He did foul a 3 point shooter. It was a tough stretch, for sure, but I think with the very grinding style of play that we got from Fairfield that it was the right call. It's also possible that Forbes just kinda forgot about him in the 2nd half, tbh. It happens...

Much more likely Forbes got halftime stats, saw Taylor +8 and Monsanto -8 or whatever it was, and figured that unless Wake got down we didn’t need to risk putting Monsanto’s defense on the floor.

Easy to question decisions in hindsight and just assume Monsanto would have helped. That game was still in doubt, definitely one we could have lost. More Monsanto and more Marsh definitely could have resulted in the L.

Having played high school basketball as both a starter and a reserve, I never found sitting on the bench 38 minutes of a game to be an emotionally healing experience. I assume Forbes knows what he is doing but it’s a real head scratcher to see someone that talented have to sit and watch much less talented players play his position.
I know what you mean but talent means nothing on a given night without production. I may be a much more talented golfer than the guy I am playing but if I am having a bad day I will still get my ass kicked. I didn't see the portion of the game when Monsanto participated but I would trust Forbes better than any of us to judge whether he needed to be on the court the rest of the game.
I feel terrible for what Monsanto must be going through - I have lost a sibling at a much more advanced age and it was awful - I can't imagine what it would be like at that age. I am hoping that the game he presumably loves will help him heal and that he will eventually return to the level of play I am sure he expects of himself...

Much more likely Forbes got halftime stats, saw Taylor +8 and Monsanto -8 or whatever it was, and figured that unless Wake got down we didn’t need to risk putting Monsanto’s defense on the floor.

Easy to question decisions in hindsight and just assume Monsanto would have helped. That game was still in doubt, definitely one we could have lost. More Monsanto and more Marsh definitely could have resulted in the L.

Taylor was +15 I’m the first half

Tariq Ingraham and the Rider Broncs will play Fairfield twice in conference - Rider opens up at Providence in a few hours

I looked up to see how Ituka did against Fairfield last year, and it looks like he missed one of their games which Marist won, and didn't have a great one in the one that he played in which they lost, but he did put up 14 shots (only one 3pt attempt) in 21 minutes.

But still very much looking forward to Ituka getting out there, hope this knee issue clears up soon.

Do we have any deets on Ituka and when he might be back?

Ituka injured his knee against tOSU. He was expected back before Fairfield, and but when he tried to practice before the game, the issue persisted. Forbes said after the game that Ituka would not be back for Georgia. That is the extent of available info.

When a coach admits a knee injury is worse than they initially thought and they had to shut him down for 10 days (as of exhibition game a week ago), it's a bad sign.

Not trying to be a harbinger of doom or say he's out for the season ... just that the tenor of the situation right now doesn't bode well for him returning any time soon.

Can’t shoot a lick. 6-4 power forward with no outside shot. And he takes Monsanto’s minutes. That’s a crime.
Oh you mean the chucker that rarely plays defense has hot shooting nights about 1 out of every 4 games? We have been told that Hildreth's shot has improved and he is just a sophomore and hasn't been playing as long Monsanto. We lose without him last night. He is the only one until Appleby did with three minutes left in the game that attempted to drive the ball inside. I don't think I've seen Monsanto do it more than once or twice last year.

Last edited:
It’s a fool’s errand to track first half scores, but Tariq Ingraham and the Rider Broncs are currently delivering a big MAAC attack at Providence (#55 KP) up 37-24 late first half.

Rider is sitting basically even with Fairfield in the KP ratings.

For me Bobi stood out the most, I haven't been this excited about a freshman in some time. The upside is salivating and he played great last night.

Seeing the game live and sitting down low, Bobi looks like an NBA player. He is a legit 6-10 and has the potential to be one of Wake's best players ever. I don't think that's hyperbole. As Forbes said after the game, Damari will play plenty this year. This just wasn't the game for him. And I like that we have enough depth to where one of our best offensive players can sit and we still beat a quality mid-major team. Carr's stroke looks fantastic, as does Keller's. Appleby had a quiet game, but he settled in towards the end and started attacking, which is more in line with who he is. Last year he shot 125 FT's and hit them at an 85% clip. He put up 190 3's and hit them at a 34% clip. We will certainly see some games from him where he hits 4-5 3's. He's the PG that we were missing last year. Taylor is great for the team. That energy we saw from him last year on the bench translates when he's on the court. He's our best defender, and I was happy to see that his 3-pt stroke looks better. The rotation possibilities moving forward are very intriguing.

We could throw out a three point shooting lineup of Appleby, Williamson, Monsanto, Carr, Keller
A rim attacking lineup of Appleby, Ituka (please hurry back!) Hildreth, Klintman, Carr
A big lineup of Hildreth, Taylor, Klintman, Carr, Bradford
A defensive lineup of Appleby, Hildreth, Taylor, Klintman, Bradford
A ball handling/FT shooting lineup to finish games off of Appleby, Williamson, Ituka (he shot 142 FT's last year and hit them at a 77% clip), Klintman, Carr
And so on....

KenPom had Hildreth as the MVP of the Fairfield game, so those attacking him are blinded by his admittedly horrible 3 point attempts. I'm excited about the potential of this team, and even more so about it moving forward to next year. I think we have one of the best coaches in college basketball, and he's going to get the most out of this group of players. I'm excited for the Georgia game. The lower bowl is already sold out, so hopefully it's a good atmosphere.

Back