• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ Syracuse - Thursday, September 1st (Wake +6.5)

Just realized I'm supposed to be on the road from DC to Charleston while this game is on. Going to have to change plans.

Tickets will be available gameday but you'll be better served to get them beforehand for better pricing and better seats. There isn't really a bad seat in the house though as long as you dont get stuck with the goal posts right in your line of sight.

Sales, one of our starting WR's is gone but we've got others to fill. He was primed for a big year but only really showed up big in our bowl game. There are various debates over how badly he'll be missed, but certainly would rather have him.

The RB in question was Prince Tyson-Gulley, 2nd string RB. Bizarre situation but he's back practicing now, but hasn't yet participated in contact drills to my knowledge.

Syracuse is counting on a deep and vetern offense to cover for a young defense. Three of the backup centers Re down with minor injuries. They are big up front and have large running backs.

The defense is an attacking mode scheme. Should be an interesting game.

Most of the injury issues have been "concussion symptoms" and alot of those guys are returning. Phil Thomas - FS - Jaw will be missed, Marcus Sales - WR - suspended indefinitely will be missed, Keon Lyn - CB - dislocated shoulder? may or may not be back by the first game and would be missed.

Most Syracuse fans, like myself, are counting on a veteran offense to step up this season. The defense is alot of unknowns, but have actually been getting the better part of the offense in both Spring and now preseason practices. FWIW, our defensive coordinator has been a god send since he arrived 2 years ago. The defense has looked far ahead of where I thought it would be. Credit to the coaches for getting them there.

I can tell you guys to expect a hard hitting, physical game. Beyond that I'm not sure what we'll have.

Any players in specific I should be watching for to have a big year for the Deacs?

I was confused about starters because Tyson-Gulley plays for the team on NCAA 12 :plos:

I'm excited to have PTG on our team but SR Antwon Bailey is the guy at RB this year. He's diminutive in stature (5'7) but has really added strength and is now playing at just over 200lbs. He's a quick jitterbug type back, can run for power, and catches well out of the backfield but i can see why video game makers might not love him.

Not very, 5'11" is generous and he's like 260 or 265. No one on our team can block him, he gets double teamed every play

Not very, 5'11" is generous and he's like 260 or 265. No one on our team can block him, he gets double teamed every play

Is he a Soph as listed on ESPN or a Junior?

Presents an interesting matchup against or Soph Center who is simlar in size and the only new starter on our OLine. By all accounts he is great fundementally but there are concerns about him getting overpowered. If they go heads up it could cause issues for us. If he stunts and runs into either guard they are both big uglies, especially to the right. I imagine he'll get a fair share of double teams as well if needed.

RS Sophomore this year. He's just so quick for the position that it's tough to keep him in front of you as an O lineman

RS Sophomore this year. He's just so quick for the position that it's tough to keep him in front of you as an O lineman

We've got a couple of DT's in the 270 range that I'm hoping can be as disruptive. Do you guys have any 320lbers to back him up if he's not effective clogging the middle or is there just no chance of him being ineffective?

Deon Goggins is the Syracuse player that came to mind if you're at all interested.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/08/syracuse_university_football_p_17.html

Last edited:
There's always a chance he's ineffective, but most of our linebackers are closer to typical 4-3 linebackers than 320 pounds. The backup for Nikita, Ramon Booi is easily 310 or 320 so if Nikita for whatever reason can't get it done maybe Booi can wreak some havoc during his spells on the field.

Do you guys have a dedicated WF blog that you would classify as entertaining and worth reading for extra tidbits?

We've got
http://www.nunesmagician.com/
which is both informative and intential comedy. I would gladly check out anything you guys have got along the same lines.

Just wanted to say thanks for coming over and joining the discussion Orange133. Its great to have other school's fans come over for some intelligent discussion prior to the games. Thanks for keeping it classy.

Do you guys have a dedicated WF blog that you would classify as entertaining and worth reading for extra tidbits?

We've got
http://www.nunesmagician.com/
which is both informative and intential comedy. I would gladly check out anything you guys have got along the same lines.

I'm biased because I write for it but BloggerSoDear.com is pretty much the only Wake blog on the internet

Just wanted to say thanks for coming over and joining the discussion Orange133. Its great to have other school's fans come over for some intelligent discussion prior to the games. Thanks for keeping it classy.

Appreciate the discussions from you guys. I'm a scout.com junkie and was linked here from the Syracuse board. Nice to get intelligent discussion instead of internet tough guys and fanboys (of which i've seen neither from WF fans).

Interesting dynamics as we are both rebuilding and we've recently been through seasons like the one you guys are coming off of.

The only time I'll ever dislike Wake Forest is the week we're playing you. Aside from that, I respect you guys and always hope to see you beatdown UNC and Duke.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our season, but won't know know much until week 1 vs you guys.

Back