• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

It's not polls, it's a computer ranking, and the calculus changes every week as more and more matches are counted and our previous opponents moved up or down in the previous week.
OK rankings.I was talking to one of the parents of one of the players and he agreed that the rankings do not always make a whole lot of sense. I watched the women on Notre Dame video Friday night battle back hard after losing the double point to beat a good opponent on the road. the two single matches we lost went to extra sets.good road win.always good to beat Notre Dame.

The women beat #10 UVA today for a really big win. Wake was down 3-2 and rallied for a 4-3 win.

The men pounded Clemson 7-0, only dropping one set along the way.

Both the men and women play matches again later this afternoon.

Wake men with a school record 6th shut out in a row.

Massive win for the women. If there was any doubt that we would make the tournament, there isn't any longer

Men beat SC State 7-0 to move to 20-4 on the year. They'll play 6 of their final 7 matches on the road.

Women beat ECU 6-1 and move to 15-4 on the year.

This was a very exciting day at the tennis center, particularly for the womens' team which beat UVA for the first time since 2008 and a top ten team since 2007 and once again, it came down to the No. 3 court and Anna U. who fought back and won the tie breaker against a top 100 ranked player. In fact, 4 of the UVA players were ranked, but we won the doubles point, Joanna Z at 4 and Sam A at 5. On the mens' side, the SC State team I noticed had all foreign players, and the match gave our extra players an opportunity to play and for us to get to 20 wins. I hope they keep it up when they move outside. They are very good indoors. The facility was very busy while the men played one team on one side and the women another team on the other in the afternoon games. The guys are friendly and thank my wife and me for coming to the games and we appreciate them very much as well as the women players.

New rankings are out. The men are #13. Mansouri is up to 16, Chrysoschos is 36, Mansouri/Seraphim 12, Kan/Bogaerts 47, Chrysoschos/Ho 48. The men will have a lot of opportunities to move up in the next 3 weeks.

The women move all the way up to #14, their highest ranking since 2007. Guerin is #84 and Davis #112.

So in the last 5 matches the men haven't lost a single point (35-0)?

That's pretty impressive regardless of who they are playing, much less mixed ACC/non-conference foes.

Wake hasn't dropped a single point in six matches and fell three spots in the computer rankings? Need 2&2 to call in some #anecdotes on this one.

Also am I reading this right? It looks like UVA beat the 23rd and 33nd teams (FSU and State) in the country 7-0 and 7-0 and lost the number one ranking to UNC who beat the same State team 5-2 and Louisville 7-0? UNC is 9 points ahead of UVA, which seems to be pretty substantial. How do these rankings work exactly?

Also am I reading this right? It looks like UVA beat the 23rd and 33nd teams (FSU and State) in the country 7-0 and 7-0 and lost the number one ranking to UNC who beat the same State team 5-2 and Louisville 7-0? How do these rankings work exactly?

The rankings do not take into account margin of victory. So, a 4-3 win is the same as a 7-0 win. It's a major flaw in the system, but it is what it is. As the season progresses, more wins are counted in the formula - this week they used the 6 best wins, and next week it will be the 7 best wins. Here's some more info http://collegetennistoday.blogspot.com/2016/03/322-oracleita-ranking-projections-new.html

I kinda get why it doesn't do margin of victory, because certain matches stop when a team reaches 4, while others do not, but as we've seen with every other statistics based model in sports, margin of victory is one of the most important attributes in determining overall strength of a team compared to another.

Pretty much impossible to do margin of victory in tennis under the current rules. The tennis ranking system is far from perfect.

I will say that by the end of the regular season when they are taking into account each team's best 10 matches, they work out better than the computer rankings in probably most sports. You very rarely see postseason upsets in tennis. It's one of the most chalky sports, and the seedings are done almost entirely by computers

The #14 women are at home this weekend, playing Pitt today at noon and #10 Duke Saturday at noon.

The #13 men play at Miami today at 1 PM and at FSU Sunday at noon.

The women beat Pitt 4-0 (final score ended 5-2).

Last edited:
The men beat #64 Miami 4-0. Good win. I was a little worried about that one, because Miami has talent, they just struggle to put together complete matches. Also, Wake hadn't played on the road in a long time.

Correction - Miami messed up the score. Wake may be up 2 or 3 to 0, but even that is not clear. Their scoreboard is all kids of messed up.

Last edited:
The men ended up winning 7-0. That's their 8th straight shutout, which extends a program record. They play at #20 FSU on Sunday.

Women lost 6-1 to #10 Duke. Wake was missing their #4 player and most matches went to 3 sets. Wake has improved a lot and still might be a top 16 team heading into the NCAA tourney.

Great 6-1 win at #20 FSU today. Tight dubs point, then we rolled in singles except Jonny Ho losing at #3. This team is peaking at the right time. Dennis and Chris swapped spots for the first time this year and I like it. Seraphim's score lines have been ridiculous this season, and Dennis is super tough at 5 or 6. If you are a Wake tennis fan and in NC, try and get to Chapel Hill next Sunday for Wake at UNC. It should be a great match.

Back