• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ UNCCH Nov. 14, 2020

Groulx is not what I expected based on film and recruiting rankings. That drop was huge, and Morin is clearly a better option at this point. Once again, being stubborn and refusing to adapt when it’s obviously needed killed us.

Ehhh I think we did try to keep our momentum going but UNC started stacking the box and it coincided with our wideouts dropping passes. I think we just got outplayed in the fourth quarter.

Scored 53 pts.... AND LOST! :mad:

Let's lay 53+ on dook next week. That should turn out better.

Groulx is not what I expected based on film and recruiting rankings. That drop was huge, and Morin is clearly a better option at this point. Once again, being stubborn and refusing to adapt when it’s obviously needed killed us.

He’s redshirt freshman. We’re fortunate that Greene and Morin are so good. We shouldn’t be disappointed that Groulx isn’t as good yet.

What’s the deal with Perry and Greene?

Sam hit his WRs in the hands a couple of times. He took the blame for the loss in the PC and he definitely had some bad throws but the key drops were huge.

Secondary is not good.

Trying to think of a worse loss I can remember as a wake fan. That one is extremely tough. At least UNC already fucked their season by losing to FSU and UVA.

1998 — 42-0 at Air Force.

This is exactly what I was saying last week. We are a thin at receiver. Slot is in good shape but outside is weak. We have 1 reliable outside receiver

Yeah, thanks Sage. Hope partying with your bro in Chapel Hill is fun tonite!

We have no linebackers. It's truly like watching a team that has a front 4 and then a secondary but the middle 4 forgot to come onto the field. If we don't stop you at the line of scrimmage, its a 10+ yard carry.

1998 — 42-0 at Air Force.

Depends on what you mean by "worst" loss. If you are just going by the score, the 63-0 loss to Oklahoma in 1974 was probably the largest margin. In my mind, though, the blowouts don't hurt like the ones that got away. One very painful loss was the 1966 Homecoming loss to Clemson. We were down 21-6 going into the 4th quarter and scored two touchdowns plus a 2-point conversion to tie the game, then stopped a Clemson drive and got the ball back on our own 2-yard line with less than a minute to go. Instead of taking the tie after that terrific 4th quarter comeback (no overtime then)...with virtually no chance of driving 98 yards in less than a minute...we tried a QB rollout in the endzone. Got tackled from the blind side for a safety and lost 23-21.

We have no linebackers. It's truly like watching a team that has a front 4 and then a secondary but the middle 4 forgot to come onto the field. If we don't stop you at the line of scrimmage, its a 10+ yard carry.

This. I posted something similar earlier. We are absolutely abysmal at linebacker. I don't know how we recruit bigger and faster kids. But if we ever hope to win our division again, we are going to have to get bigger and faster athletes on defense.

Will Wake's academics allow this? I highly doubt it. But I guess we can always dream.

He’s redshirt freshman. We’re fortunate that Greene and Morin are so good. We shouldn’t be disappointed that Groulx isn’t as good yet.

What’s the deal with Perry and Greene?

Greene had 8 receptions for 170 yds and 2 TDs. Is that not good?

Depends on what you mean by "worst" loss. If you are just going by the score, the 63-0 loss to Oklahoma in 1974 was probably the largest margin. In my mind, though, the blowouts don't hurt like the ones that got away. One very painful loss was the 1966 Homecoming loss to Clemson. We were down 21-6 going into the 4th quarter and scored two touchdowns plus a 2-point conversion to tie the game, then stopped a Clemson drive and got the ball back on our own 2-yard line with less than a minute to go. Instead of taking the tie after that terrific 4th quarter comeback (no overtime then)...with virtually no chance of driving 98 yards in less than a minute...we tried a QB rollout in the endzone. Got tackled from the blind side for a safety and lost 23-21.

Ouch. I can see that leaving a mark that would last for 54 years.

Gaines Adams is still the worst loss, based on the importance of that game and the situation and giant momentum swing. We win that game and the VT home game would have been our biggest game of all time.

n
I remember that one, but team won so few games back then that it didn't seem to make much difference. Wake got a similar win in '69 when Virginia's center, who was the son of the head coach, snapped the ball over the punter's head and out of the end zone for a game-winning safety in the rain.

Disappointing loss. When your team scores 53 points and you lose, the defense (or lack thereof) is the culprit. The fact that the offense did absolutely nothing on five straight possessions is an accomplice. Hartman correctly summed up those 5 empty possessions accurately. "I had to be near perfect to win and I wasn't. I missed open receivers." Two completions on ten attempts, 2 sacks for 15 yards and an intentional grounding penalty in those five drives verify his opinion. Carolina loaded the box and dared the Deac passing offense to beat them. It worked.

We came out of the half marched right down the field. I guess the holes wanted to be down 21 before making any adjustments. Or they forgot what there coaches told them at halftime.

My sense was Clawson tried to rum more clock. That’s fine if you are in the 4th but when your secondary is leaving receivers wide open you know unc was 1-2 plays away from a score.

If your defense can’t be counted on for consistent stops you need to keep them off the field or only letting them back on after scores.

The hole defense was gassed in the first quarter. You win by keeping the pressure on, not by slowing it down and letting them catch their breath.

Yes we had some key drops but the change on offense put all the pressure on making one good play instead of staying ahead of the chains.

We definitely didn’t have the mentality that we needed to score 60 to win.

Back