• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ UNCCH Nov. 14, 2020

The defense yesterday was a disgrace. No pressure on the QB and at the same time receivers were wide open down field. This is not new especially against teams with a strong QB. UVA and VT had weak QBs or one dimensional. However, the issue of not putting teams away when you have the opportunity is on Clawson. It happens over and over again. Yes...Claw gets credit for building a team capable of getting into a strong winning position, but FINISH the damn job...especially against a shithole team like UNC. If last years game had 30 more seconds the outcome would likely have been the same as yesterday.

It physically hurt to watch our defense.

Got to imagine the fans in the stadium hurt their necks turning to see UNC WRs streaking down the field.

Saw this loss coming a mile away in the second half when the Deacs went up big. When Carolina figures out how to play defense and a whole game, those assholes are going to be good.

when we went up 21 points, if you had told me we would get 1 first down in our next 5 possessions, I would have said it was likely that we would lose that game.

We needed to limit the possessions that an elite carolina offense got so that any mistakes they made were magnified.

Good summary. Thought Clawson’s post game was one of his worst for someone who is usually pretty transparent. This was not a really “good football game” , where just a few plays made a difference. Cant fault Clawson for not publicly going off on the defense, but I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for his private comments after the game.

I think our injuries in the secondary really caught up with us yesterday. Nick Anderson has been incredible, but we're having to ask a true freshman walk on to basically captain our secondary at his safety spot and yesterday we faced one of the elite offenses in the country. The difference in having guys like Greer and Davis back there, isn't stopping an offense like UNC, but it sure could be the difference in winning a game like yesterday.

Good summary. Thought Clawson’s post game was one of his worst for someone who is usually pretty transparent. This was not a really “good football game” , where just a few plays made a difference. Cant fault Clawson for not publicly going off on the defense, but I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for his private comments after the game.

One of his strangest postgame "pressers" since I've been on the beat. And one of the shortest.

One of his strangest postgame "pressers" since I've been on the beat. And one of the shortest.

My impression was that he was pissed about something unrelated to the specific outcome: like the medical staff or something. Really strange for the staff to expect to have 2 or 3 safeties back and to essentially have none

My impression was that he was pissed about something unrelated to the specific outcome: like the medical staff or something. Really strange for the staff to expect to have 2 or 3 safeties back and to essentially have none

Good observation - he didn’t seem happy about Donavon disappearing too. Next week will be interesting. Theoretically good chance to “get well” against a pretty mediocre Duke team, but if we crap the bed in Durham things will get interesting....

Yeah, I guess I'm too old school, but Greer going in and coming right back out saying, " just didn't feel right" is awfully vague. I'm not questioning toughness or desire, but sometimes I think guys expect to be perfect when they get back after an injury and that's probably not being realistic. Difference in playing injured and playing hurt.

I have to believe Clawson is very concerned about the defense but isn't going to say a lot publicly. Yesterday was another near-historic epic failure on D, one of several dating back to the 2018 season. Some of it is rotten luck re: injuries, coaching departures, etc., but D has been a consistent problem and needs to get fixed.

Agree, I think he was counting on Davis, Greer, Masterson playing some. Clawson was probably pretty upset with the medical staff on that. Not having them really hurt depth as Anderson looked like he played the whole game which is a lot to put on PWO Freshman against pretty talented receivers that UNC has.

My only real gripe with Clawson was going for it on 4th and long deep in our territory with about 3 min left. That’s a tough situation. But the odds of getting that 1st weren’t great and not getting it was sure to lead to a 2 score game. 4th and 5 from the Wake 40 with 1:30 left? Yeah go for it. Not in this situation. Punt it and hope for the defensive to do something to get the ball back.

I haven't seen a replay yet to confirm but pretty sure we only had 2 timeouts left. So UNC-CH would have bled the clock down close to zero if Clawson punts there.

Hell... with the way the _efense was playing, Howell could have taken a knee 3 straight times and gained 15 yards.

And that piss poor 3rd and long QB draw that Howell converted for a TD on the previous possession would have made Jay Sawvel blush.

Absolutely shocking that another P5 QB graded out higher than Howell.

Keep the offense grinding it out and the WR's catching key passes and we don't let UNC even get close to catching up. But when you don't convert on 3rd downs and go three & out, you give a great offense like Carolina's a chance to strike quick on a tiring defense. Needed to keep our own pressure on them and we didn't.

I think the key plays in the comeback were Groulx dropping the pass on 3rd down and the no call targeting on Williams. If Groulx makes the catch, we keep the drive going and maybe end up with points. And if they make the right call on targeting, it takes away a huge UNC gain and maybe we get a stop. Plus it takes him out of the game from then on out.

I think the key plays in the comeback were Groulx dropping the pass on 3rd down and the no call targeting on Williams. If Groulx makes the catch, we keep the drive going and maybe end up with points. And if they make the right call on targeting, it takes away a huge UNC gain and maybe we get a stop. Plus it takes him out of the game from then on out.

The key is we had 35 points scored on us in 18 minutes of football. Clawson needs to perform a very, very objective analysis of his defense once this season ends.

Is it personnel, coaching, scheming, tweaking, depth? I have NO clue. But I suspect it's all of them in some way. And I have no idea how to fix it. But something has to change.

On THE key 3d down in second half Groulx had 1st down distance with ball perfectly thrown but he watches ball pass right through his own hands. Recruiting stars will not keep your head in the game. You have to work for these game victories 365 days per year more than any stars assigned by recruiting services. Roberson had an especially bad drop in the 3d quarter needing to keep things clicking. And Stewart! He must have been shocked to see the ball as it passed right into his catchers mitt because it just kept on passing across his fingers. None of these throws were bullets either.

Back