• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Falls to 92nd in Directors' Cup Standings

I'd say the answer to many of your questions are "low hanging fruit", at least for one program.

2bpbf8.jpg

this picture doesnt look good. we are well above the mean and the overall trendline.

2bpbf8.jpg

this picture doesnt look good. we are well above the mean and the overall trendline.

While basketball is obviously only one variable in the equation, one can't help but notice that the red areas on that graph coincide with the NCAA drought at the end of GDO's tenure and the Bzz era in hoops.

I don't think anybody has ever thought that it was okay for Ron Wellman to fire successful coaches and hire his friends that could coach here without any reason other than that.

Ron Wellman thought that it was ok to do that considering Ron Wellman did that.

While basketball is obviously only one variable in the equation, one can't help but notice that the red areas on that graph coincide with the NCAA drought at the end of GDO's tenure and the Bzz era in hoops.

25gglfs.jpg

pretty close inverse correlation between basketball wins and directors cup standings (save for skips last few years)

So are you sure we can't blame this on Coach [Redacted] somehow Dented?

Again, I take issue with this designation. There is little evidence that he is a coach. How about we call him current program head, or place holder or something more accurate.

Again, I take issue with this designation. There is little evidence that he is a coach. How about we call him current program head, or place holder or something more accurate.

Yes, he is the Wake Forest University men's basketball head coach. There is no doubt in my mind that he is actually the head coach.

Basketball Program "Big Toe." How about that, Hulka??

For fun, and to satisfy my curiousity, I looked through a few years of results on this thing. The fact of the matter is that it is amazing that we have been able to finish as high as we have many of these years. Essentially every sport we play has to be competitive on a national basis and earn points in order for us to be in the top 40 or so...

In '00-'01 we placed 33rd. We earned points in m&w cc, field hockey (final 4), w soccer, m basketball, w track and field (we used to regularly earn points here - I assume that was from our distance runners?), baseball, w golf (high finish), w tennis, m tennis. That is 10/16 possible sports, with a couple of high finishes.

In '01-'02 we placed 42nd. We earned points in m cc, field hockey (final 4), w soccer, m soccer, m basketball, w track and field, baseball, w golf (high finish), m golf, w tennis, m tennis. That is 11/16 possible sports, with a couple of high finishes.

In '02-'03 we placed 32nd. We earned points in w cc, field hockey (natty), w soccer, m soccer (high finish), m basketball, w track and field, w golf, m golf (4th?), m tennis. That is 9/16 possible sports, with a nat title, a 4th place and another high finish.

Those are actually pretty amazing years for us.

In '09-'10 we finished 53rd and still had 7/16 teams producing points - but, no points from cc or t&f or w tennis...

In '10-'11 we finished 74th and only had 6/16 teams producing - no cc, no baseball, no basketball, no m tennis, no m soccer.

yeah we can't blame this on Bz although the basketball teams performance has been an aggravating factor.

One thing we can hope for though is that Wellman will take steps to fix the overall problem like he did back in the 98-00 range. if basketball continues to show little to no sign of improvement, one of these steps should be a coaching staff change there.

if ron fails to do this and continues the let our ranking slip and/or takes the 70-100 range as the new status quo then change at the AD spot would be reasonable and many would say expected.

In '06-'07 when we peaked at #23 we had 12/16 teams produce points. The only ones that didn't were m cc, baseball, w basketball and volleyball... We had high finishes in FH (2nd), M soc (2 or 3?), m tennis, w golf and got a bunch of points from football. That is a crazy good year.

From a director's cup standpoint, basketball is the least of our worries. Our only hope for moving up significantly is success in our traditionally strong areas and some of the country club sports - m/w tennis, m/w soccer, fh, m/w golf - these sports are down and that is why we are at #92...

So I looked at this year and we only had 5 teams contribute. W golf did OK, m golf barely scored any points, we got points from fb, w soccer did well (3rd place) and m soccer earned some points but fewer than 'normal'. So FH deserted us, both tennis teams did nothing, m golf and m soccer scored but barely. It is going to be tough to get back to where we were if we don't recover the cc teams and the tennis teams, as well as get higher finishes out of the some of the others.

Last edited:
scooter, could you break down # of years in which each sport earned points? That would show our more consistent programs and the programs we should be able to count on to right the ship.

I may be talking out of my ass, since I didn't go back and look, but as I remember, when we were in the 40-50 range we were not alone in schools that do not field 20+ sports. To stay in that range you don't have to be great at everything you play.

Wellman out! Bzzzz Out! Grab ye pitch forks!!!

It is going to be tough to get back to where we were if we don't recover the cc teams and the tennis teams, as well as get higher finishes out of the some of the others.

Notice that the Men's Cross and Track teams essentially stopped scoring when Goodridge resigned, and the women started scoring after Annie Bennett was hired. Now that we have a solid men's distance coach at the helm, look for this trend to reverse yet again. Unfortunately, we may not see sustained success on both sides simultaneously until we split the program -- not sure that is going to happen anytime soon.

Perhaps others can offer more insight on this point.

I'm pretty sure you are our expert on WFU cross country.

A few notes to chew on... In the 19 years of the Director's Cup, here are the stats on Wake sports that have scored points for us. W Basketball and volleyball have never scored a point.

W golf is the only program to score in 19/19 years.
M golf is 18/19.
W soccer is 16/19 and is on a 16 in a row streak.
W tennis is 16/19 - they went 15/16 but then have missed 2 out of the last 3.
M basketball is 12/19 - we missed 98-2000, and then have missed the last 2 and 4 out of the last 7.
M soccer is 11/19, including 11 out of the last 13.
M tennis is 11/19, they had a 10 in a row streak but have missed the last 2.
FH is 11/19 and went 11 in a row then missed this year - third most points overall, behind only the golf teams.
W cc is 9/19 but none since 2007.
W indoor T&F is 6/19 but missed 4 out of the last 5. M indoor t&f has scored twice.
M cc is 5/19, none since 2002.
FB and baseball are both 5 out of 19.
The M&W outdoor t&f teams have scored 5/19 and 4/19 but have done nothing the past 4-5 years.

Back