• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

If, at the end of the season, it turns out we got 2 bigs that were 2 of the top 50 transfers in the country we should have a good season.

There are a lot of transfers. Every program is recruiting them and you think WF snagged two Top 50 transfers?
I mean based on the last list that I saw. I would put both top 50 or right at the cusp. A lot of the guys on this list are also one year players where these 2 guys could be multiyear players

I half wonder if Forbes was honest with Ody that he wouldn't be seeing 30 mins a game next season after seeing the other transfer guys at workouts. Combine that with a finally healthy Ingraham who in his only game this season played 18 minutes and scored 19, Forbes can see that Ody will be a plug in guy, which is what he should be on an ACC level team. Ody still wanted to be the main guy and could probably dominate if he dropped down a tier. I kinda don't blame him in that regard.... averaging 20 pts a game at a Furman will probably turn more international team's heads than 5-7 at wake

One of the most recent lists i saw had number 52 the mountain West freshman of the year from wyoming a guard. The mountain West was a slightly better conference than the Southern last year but not a significant difference per sagarin. Etsu was ranked higher than wyoming.

The other forward recruit was 2nd team Missouri Valley Conference as a soph which should put him right in that same range.

Don't trust rankings coming out of ESPN.

LaRavia is without a doubt going to be a top 50ish transfer out of this offseason if not better. He was one of the best in the portal when we got him. Monsanto is probably top 100.

Only reason LaRavia isn't ranked higher is because we got him before other big programs had a chance to reach out.

Yeah those ESPN transfer rankings seem pretty random. Some borderline top 100 recruit 2 years ago averages under 2 points a game and they get in the top 100 list, a dude averaging 12 and 8 goes unmentioned... Pretty worthless.

LaRavia is a top 50 transfer, and maybe even top 25. College basketball has had over 1500 players enter the portal, and for the most part, the "top" transfers are those leaving power conferences, because most college basketball analysts didn't spend the time to watch and breakdown all 350 college basketball teams. LaRavia is 6-9 and can pass, rebound, shoot and defend. As a sophomore, he led Indiana State in rebounds, steals and assists; was 2nd in scoring and in blocked shots. Also, Indiana State was good. They went 15-10, finished 4th in the Mo. Valley and beat Loyola of Chicago (who was #10 in KP). LaRavia wasn't simply piling up stats on a bad team in garbage time. He was the main contributor on a solid team as a soph. He has 3 years of eligibility remaining. There is zero chance that there are 50 (much less 100) NCAA transfers better than LaRavia.

FWIW, Baylor just received a commit from a D2 player named Dale Bonner, who averaged 21 ppg while leading his team in points, assists and steals. The talking heads have no clue who Dale Bonner is, but he will be a factor for the Bears next year.

So we're down to 2 kids returning.

Appears next season is year 1-B for Forbes....again slapping together a roster from scratch.

I hate this transfer portal.

This is far from the truth. "Slapping together" a roster doesn't come close to what Forbes has done this off-season. He has addressed team needs and pretty much gotten the players he prioritized out of the portal. LaRavia and Monsanto especially were perfect gets for Wake, both in the short and long-term future.

I would expect another great addition soon.

At the end of the day, we need guys who are bought in to the program. Ody wasn't.

Last edited:
This is far from the truth. "Slapping together" a roster doesn't come close to what Forbes has done this off-season. He has addressed team needs and pretty much gotten the players he prioritized out of the portal. LaRavia and Monsanto especially were perfect gets for Wake, both in the short and long-term future.

I would expect another great addition soon.

At the end of the day, we need guys who are bought in to the program. Ody wasn't.

hmm - is the great addition a transfer? big? Given Walton's injury history, and Tariq's overall experience level, I doubt we get 40 combined minutes from them and therefore we are suddenly looking at (again) someone playing out of position to man the post.

IMO it's unfair to claim Ody wasn't bought in.

I'm very much looking forward to LaRavia and Monsanto. LaRavia especially would be a rotation player at worst for any team in the ACC. However, I don't want to see LaRavia at the 5. And given a choice between Walton and Ody, I'd have preferred we kept Ody.

Brockington would be a great get.

My new small ball lineup would be

Whitt
DW
Brockington
Mucius
LaRavia

hmm - is the great addition a transfer? big? Given Walton's injury history, and Tariq's overall experience level, I doubt we get 40 combined minutes from them and therefore we are suddenly looking at (again) someone playing out of position to man the post.

IMO it's unfair to claim Ody wasn't bought in.

I'm very much looking forward to LaRavia and Monsanto. LaRavia especially would be a rotation player at worst for any team in the ACC. However, I don't want to see LaRavia at the 5. And given a choice between Walton and Ody, I'd have preferred we kept Ody.

Yeah, ideally LaRavia won't have to play the 5 out of necessity. I think LaRavia will be legit ACC starter good at the 4 but that is yet to be seen.

As for Ody, he gave is all for Wake while he was here but he is in the transfer portal now so clearly he was not completely bought in to the program. I would have probably preferred Ody too but Walton's size at 7 feet will be a huge bonus. Ody was rather small for the 5 position especially while not having elite athleticism.

Hopefully Tariq can get healthy and be good enough to give us 10-20 minutes a game next season but he his a huge unknown. I am sure Forbes is/will prioritize another big out of the portal when he finds one worth pursuing.

Last edited:
Forbes appears to be very flexible with his lineups. He doesn't really play an offense with a true 5 who simply posts up; although players will post up, when they have an advantage over their defender. Also, many if not most ACC teams don't play with a true 5 either. With some exceptions, ACC teams like to play 5 guys who are at least some threat from behind the arc, as it generally keeps teams from keeping defenders in the paint. IOW, there is not really a 5 in college basketball any more unless you have a player like Luka Garza (who shot from 3 sometimes) or Hunter Dickinson. IOW, there will be plenty of times next year when LaRavia will be WF's tallest player on the court and when he guards the tallest player on the other team. Doesn't really mean that LaRavia's is playing the 5.

As expected, Iowa transfer guard CJ Frederick committed to KY.

Back