• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Johnson averaged 14/8 as a Fr. 48% FG, 28% 3PT.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Keller can be that player as a Junior.

No, he will never have the athleticism as JJ, but he could be as efficient and put up similar numbers as a Jr.

Quote: Would rather lose Marsh than Keller.

Let’s take a look at our C rotation list year. I’m including 31 of our 33 games, excluding only the two against Hampton and Charleston Southern, which weren’t competitive and would otherwise just skew numbers:

Start with minutes:
Marsh - 17:11
Bradford - 7:28
Keller - 4:31
Smallball - 11 minutes

O-Rtg: all low usage, from Marsh at 11.2% of possessions to Bradford at 14.0%.
Marsh: 146.6 (led the country)
Bradford: 101.8
Keller: 95.3 (second lowest on team, only ahead of Taylor)

Rebound percentage: (O + D) / 2
Marsh: 13.5% (led team)
Bradford: 11.8%
Keller: 8.8% (ahead of only Appleby, Taylor, Williamson)

And then most importantly, how’d the team do with those guys on the floor (plus/minus):
Marsh +43 (+44 in ACC play)
Bradford -24 (-16 in ACC)
Keller -37 (-26 in ACC); -26 in ACC was in just 51 minutes

Conclusions:
1) We all want Marsh to be more than he is, but both individual statistics and team performance lead me to believe we are really underselling him as a fan base.

2) Keller just wasn’t playable as a freshman as we regularly got worked when he was on the floor, but he does show a few skills that hopefully allow him to become an option in future years should he stick around.

I don't at all understand the people who want to lose Marsh totally. He will improve this offseason, and has a big body that most teams would kill for. I think the staff knows exactly what to do with him, and getting another good big in there at the 5 will take some of the pressure off of him. I mean, he led the country in offensive efficiency - he beat single other person in the NCAA.

He can be a very valuable asset.

Agree on Marsh. He's a nice piece. I just don't think he's more than a 20-25mpg solution at the 5 (at best). Unless he improves dramatically on defense and learns how to box out and grab rebounds.

Marsh is a terrible, terrible defender and has no offensive ability. He'd average 2 points a game without Appleby or another great guard feeding him lobs.

I hope he stays, for continuity and because I like to see players develop, but he needs to have a majorly impactful offseason to become an ACC player.
Stick to looking for Devin Booker blowie videos.

Bigs usually just take longer. Marsh and keller both showed signs over the last few games of the season that they might be starting to get it.

They need enough reps to be comfortable in making the right decisions quickly. I think that will come. We'll see.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you all Marsh haters were saying the same thing about Doral Moore after his first 2 seasons.
i feel like all the haters have been hating since i've been on the boards. most of the time, it ends up looking pretty stupid but we have no shame on these here ogboards

Pretty sure you all Marsh haters were saying the same thing about Doral Moore after his first 2 seasons.

Nah, I thought Cigs had better potential on the defensive end. I'm not so sure Marsh will ever get there on defense. Moore's issue was he fouled a lot and was kind of like a giraffe on roller skates his first couple of years. Once he gained a little coordination, he was a beast.

Similar in terms of finishing lobs... Both elite at that, for sure.

I don't think Marsh will ever be an elite defender/shot blocker, but he can be more of a threat than he is now for sure. Mainly I want him to add a couple of post moves and become a defensive rebounding machine (ranked 230th in the nation this year).

Throw in a tip-dunk or two every now and then and I'm happy with his 15-20 mins a game.

Back