• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I hate being right, but I nailed this Bobi situation, and njdeac22 looks like an asshole. Again. There are a lot more options for basketball players now than just first round pick or college ball. Bobi already being from Europe and then draft testing so quickly despite no first round hype was a big red flag that he wanted to leave or needed money.

I hate being right, but I nailed this Bobi situation, and njdeac22 looks like an asshole. Again. There are a lot more options for basketball players now than just first round pick or college ball. Bobi already being from Europe and then draft testing so quickly despite no first round hype was a big red flag that he wanted to leave or needed money.
Lots of us believed the declaration was likely the end of his time at Wake.

Your last thoughts are trying to read his mind and do a disservice to bobi, the team, staff, and wake. No one that is not involved really knows anything.

Sucks to lose Bobi but Forbes has delivered via the portal this far. I trust he will find one more of quality/potential.

Lots of us believed the declaration was likely the end of his time at Wake.

Your last thoughts are trying to read his mind and do a disservice to bobi, the team, staff, and wake. No one that is not involved really knows anything.
I never claimed to know anything. Not my problem you all stubbornly insist upon assuming that a first round draft guarantee is the only reason a basketball player would leave our team. It’s a very America-centric perspective that college basketball and the NBA are the only worthwhile opportunities.

I never claimed to know anything. Not my problem you all stubbornly insist upon assuming that a first round draft guarantee is the only reason a basketball player would leave our team. It’s a very America-centric perspective that college basketball and the NBA are the only worthwhile opportunities.
man there is a way to say this that doesn't make you sound like a dick.

I think one of the drawbacks of recruiting the international guys is that they are much more familiar with a system where they develop for the pros in lower level leagues that are uncoupled from colleges. So they may be keeping their mind open to a lot of different ways to make it to the top leagues (NBA but also EuroLeague) other than just college b-ball

Does any of the news at all suggest that Bobi is leaving to go play in Europe? Why are we talking about this?

Seems clear that he thinks he is going to get drafted based on potential, and he pulled out of the combine because he knows he is not at the level of a lot of those guys yet. No reason to get exposed if you aren’t expecting to get drafted based on current abilities anyways.

Bobi has let our coaches know he is not coming back. Time to find someone to fill those shoes.
My first call would be to Ven-Allen Lubin from Notre Dame, who scored 18 points against us earlier this season. Three seasons of eligibility. He's from Orlando ... and pretty sure Todd Golden at UF is making a pitch for him.

Last edited:
Plenty of people on this board expressed concern that Bobi would be drafted (or advised he might be drafted) based on his potential, despite NJ’s loud objections to the contrary

Does any of the news at all suggest that Bobi is leaving to go play in Europe? Why are we talking about this?

Seems clear that he thinks he is going to get drafted based on potential, and he pulled out of the combine because he knows he is not at the level of a lot of those guys yet. No reason to get exposed if you aren’t expecting to get drafted based on current abilities anyways.
There are a dozen undrafted early entrants every year with this same storyline who are supposedly given promises, and all of them are aware of the undrafted players who came before them. They know the risks and they make alternate plans in case they go undrafted.

While I doubt this was part of the thought process, Bobi actually helped WF by not waiting to May 31 to decide. Now, WF knows it has an open ship 16 days earlier.
Gotta believe that’s a conversation Forbes had with Bobbi to talk about desired decision timing in order to have time to replace him.

it’s worth remembering that a player can go through the entire draft process and return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they don’t take money from an agent or pro organization. Bobi reportedly announced that he is not returning to Wake whether or not he is drafted

The old Robert Swift approach of not letting anyone see you play and hoping someone is stupid enough to waste a first round pick on a complete unknown because there is nothing to pick apart. I like it.

By the way, who the hell is this guy? Granted I only watched a few games this season because I'm still mired in the Lost Decade, but I barely remember him.

Damn, I feel like the writing's been on the wall with this for a while now but it still sucks seeing it be made official, Bobi seems like a great kid and I was looking forward to seeing what he could become here.

With that said though I don't think losing Bobi has as big of an impact on the team as a lot of people seem to think. Even if he took the big leap that we all think he would/will I still see him as being an elite complementary piece as opposed to the kind of player that can create offence for himself or his teammates and really elevate a team.

If you ask me there were a handful of big problems with the team last year that held us back and I think the staff have done a good job of addressing those issues.

1) Interior defence. We were getting killed in the paint all season long last year, so many no name big men had career games against us and guards were attacking the basket and killing us inside all year. We lost so many games by just a couple of points last season, if we'd had solid interior defence a lot of those close losses become wins, I obviously don't know a lot about Efton Reid but I'm hoping he can provide some level of acceptable defence, which would already push the ceiling of the team beyond last years team. (Or Matt Marsh could magically turn things around and become a defencive force but I'd be surprised.)

2) Injuries. Obviously you never know when injuries can strike but Damari had a really slow start last year after coming off his injury and dealing with personal issues, and was injured again to end the season. AC won ACC player of the week and was looking like one of the star players on the team and then right afterwards (I might be getting the timeline wrong here) he injured his wrist and his level of play fell off a cliff for the rest of the season. Those two guys were both a part of our 4 man core along with Cam and Ty and I think if they'd both been playing like themselves the entire year we would've likely tacked on another handful of wins and been looking at back to back seasons of at least mid 20s wins.

3) Depth. Like I said you never know when injuries are going to strike but the main issues with our injuries last year was that we just didn't have anyone on the bench that could do a good job of replacing those guys, which I don't think is going to be a problem if we get bitten by the injury bug again next year. I'm not gonna pretend to have watched any of the portal guys that we've got coming in this year but from where I'm standing it looks like Forbes has done a good job of just reinforcing the roster from top to bottom in the portal and you never want to rely on freshmen if you can help it but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the incoming freshman can provide some sort of contribution in their first year.

Losing Bobi obviously sucks, but I think even without him this team's in a great position to succeed going into next season. The big question mark for me is the point guard position and how good of a job we've done replacing Tyree but I think the fact that Boopie committed so soon after the portal opened means Forbes and the rest of the staff have had their eye on him for a while and are confident he's the guy to lead the offence for the next couple of years. I think if Boopie can give us like 80% of the production that Ty did then we'll be ok, and Forbes is the portal PG whisperer so I'm sure it'll be ok.

Even without Bobi, with the improvements that I envision for some of the returning guys, and the reinforcements that have been brought in through the portal I still think this team could go dancing next year, and that's without even considering whoever they bring in now that we have an extra scholarship again.

Back