• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Based on current court rulings, it does not appear that there are any restrictions on players transferring as much as they choose to do so. So, every player on every college roster, including Reid, can transfer after each season. Also, courts have stripped the NCAA of barring pay for pal via NIL. So, every player is available to the highest bidder after each season. So, WF will need to make meaty NIL offers to every player that it wants to return next year. Would think the market will be strong for every current WF starter, Parker and even Damari should he choose to play another year of college basketball. If returning this core is important to you, suggest you support WF's NIL collective.

Yeah, every year in the portal has been unique (COVID extra year, two-time transfers, NIL impact, etc)... This one could be even crazier for the reasons you mention.

This was a good year to make a run, which is one of the many reasons I'm feeling really down today.

A few months ago, I didn't think there would a lot of uncertainty about the roster for '24-25, but now nothing would surprise me.

There are a whole lot of wildcards. Forbes and staff see a lot more in practice than we do by just watching games, so I'm sure they have an idea about whom they'd like to see return out of Ituka, Canka, Keller, Marsh, Clark.

I'm most interested in:
  • Does Sallis go pro or do we break the bank to try to get him back with some NIL $$$? I suspect he's gone and there's not much we can do about it.
  • Does Carr want to use his extra year of eligibility? I hope so.
  • Does Monsanto come back? I'm not as pessimistic here as some others. If he's really hurt again and needs time to recover, I think Forbes would welcome him back. No idea what is going on behind the scenes, though.
  • Feels like Marsh is who he is at this point. Is he content to return to play behind Reid (maybe?)
  • Keller still has upside if he can get stronger... But perhaps both sides decide to part ways?
Difficult to speculate on the portal right now because we don't know who we'll be losing... But I agree that PG is an area of need (even if Ituka comes back healthy and ready to contribute).

Agree with others that a starting point of Boopie, Cam, Parker, Carr, MMM, and Reid is a good place to start. And if Juke can give 10-15mpg, that'd be great.

That team will be a defensive sieve. And MMM will need to really show improvement. I think he is a capable, but it is going to require a large jump- even larger that Hildreth from year 1 to year 2.

That team will be a defensive sieve. And MMM will need to really show improvement. I think he is a capable, but it is going to require a large jump- even larger that Hildreth from year 1 to year 2.

Why? Cam, Carr, & Reid are good defenders, IMO. No reason MMM can't be. Boopie's size is a liability, but he's obviously pretty quick and opportunistic on D. Parker is probably never going to be plus defender, but he was already playable this season.

Last edited:
Why? Cam, Carr, & Reid are good defenders, IMO. No reason MMM can't be. Boopie's size is a liability, but he's obviously pretty quick and opportunistic on D. Parker is probably never going to be plus defender, but he was obviously playable this season.
Agree. This is WF best defensive team under Forbes. If WF's only key loss is Sallis, don't think the defensive drop-off will be severe.

I was excited about Ituka when he committed, but the list of guys who came back to be effective players after missing essentially two complete, back-to-back seasons due to knee problems can't be very long. RS'ing the rest of this year after he was cleared is, to me, a sign that he's going to transfer.
Blake Hinson was injured for two whole seasons before transferring to Pitt, not sure if it was knee or not.

It's so annoying to me that Sallis has caught on as a draft pick and will ditch us after one season (in which we accomplished nothing).

He doesn't seem anywhere close to me to being ready for actual NBA minutes, he'll probably drop a bit and get drafted late then disappear into the G-league for a few years. But RJ Davis will come back and win a 2nd ACC PoY award because he's too short.

Forbes needs to get more "too short" guys who can ball.

Why? Cam, Carr, & Reid are good defenders, IMO. No reason MMM can't be. Boopie's size is a liability, but he's obviously pretty quick and opportunistic on D. Parker is probably never going to be plus defender, but he was obviously playable this season.
Boopie's size is a huge liability. Opponents hunt him for mismatches throughout the game, especially late. Part of the reason we struggle so much with ball screens is that he gets completely swallowed up by them. If his shot isn't falling, he's almost unplayable.

I'd love to keep him around as a 6th man scorer off the bench, but we desperately need another ball handler who can be an effective defender at the point of attack

I don't see how the Marsh and Jao experiments aren't over. Those are two roster spots that could be a lot of other guys.

Keller/Clark/Canka could see it going either way. If Forbes is feeling heat to make a bid next season, I could see him letting them go and searching for more portal talent. That would probably be my preference.

Don't think it's out of the question to rethink at the PG position. If there was an Appleby-type out there, I think Boopie is not a lock to have the same role next season.

Boopie is within an inch of RJ Davis, Cadeau, Roach, Burton, and Pack. He's got good strength to go with solid quickness.

He didn't play any basketball last year and has had to adjust to ACC physicality. He has a funky shot that needs some work and his court vision could improve. He still averaged almost 16 and 4 with 2.5 turnovers a game as a sophomore. Led us in steals. With Sallis exiting and our lack of athleticism at the 3-5 it seems like an odd position to focus on.

Blake Hinson was injured for two whole seasons before transferring to Pitt, not sure if it was knee or not.
I also like Hinson as a dark horse transfer candidate. He clearly has a good relationship with Forbes.

I also like Hinson as a dark horse transfer candidate. He clearly has a good relationship with Forbes.
I would love it too but he entered college in 2018 so I'm pretty sure by now he has to be out of eligibility

I would love it too but he entered college in 2018 so I'm pretty sure by now he has to be out of eligibility
I think he has 1 more year left, I can't remember where I saw that.

Why? Cam, Carr, & Reid are good defenders, IMO. No reason MMM can't be. Boopie's size is a liability, but he's obviously pretty quick and opportunistic on D. Parker is probably never going to be plus defender, but he was already playable this season.
I think trading Sallis for Friedrichsen is a pretty big drop off (although maybe not as much after Sallis' performance the last few games) and that he and Miller together make us extremely vulnerable in the backcourt.

It’s a little strange to me that everyone assumes we can just go out and find a guy that will be a significant upgrade over Boopie. He had terrible games @Duke and @UVA and the mysterious missed FTs and inability to finish at the rim stand out sure. But his numbers on the road this season are actually basically identical to Hunter’s and his full season averages of 16 points, 4 assists and 3 rebounds on 46% FG and 36% 3PT are pretty solid for a guy in his first year at this level. Over the last 10 games the consensus seems to be that he’s played terrible and given us nothing but he’s still averaging 14/4/3 on 46% shooting and 38% from 3. I am an unabashed Boopie fan but expect him to come back a better player next season.

Unfortunately while looking into those stats I found the road game averages for our starting guards and the shooting numbers are horrific.

Hunter: 41.6% FG, 30% 3PT, 14.4 PPG
Cam: 41% FG, 29.3% 3PT, 11.7 PPG
Boopie: 41.3% FG, 25.6% 3PT, 14.5 PPG

Top Three Targets
1 - Good rebounding big to sub for Reid, maybe a few mins for Carr in certain lineups.
2 - Rangy guard/wing who plays good defense and is an adequate shooter. Insurance for Juke if he's not ready and could sub for Cam/Parker/Juke. Isaiah Mucius type.
3 - Either a big, physical combo guard who can play through contact or a pure PG with good vision. At worst, a playable sub for Boopie or Cam/Parker.

It's so annoying to me that Sallis has caught on as a draft pick and will ditch us after one season (in which we accomplished nothing).

He doesn't seem anywhere close to me to being ready for actual NBA minutes, he'll probably drop a bit and get drafted late then disappear into the G-league for a few years. But RJ Davis will come back and win a 2nd ACC PoY award because he's too short.

Forbes needs to get more "too short" guys who can ball.

almost as bad as bobi getting draft hype after a good ACCT loss

Back