• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I think he will he ain't strong enough or experienced enough for NBA

I think Sallis need to return for a year of growth physically and mentally. He seemed to lose all of hos swagger after the Duke game. Did not seem like he enjoyed playing

This is a little bit of revisionist history about Alondes. He was a turnover machine.
Yes, if I recall correctly he did have his days where he was a turnover machine. But he could also fire lasers and get the ball to who was open. The whole team shared the ball and were patient about trying to get shots. The team this year had games upon games where Boopie, Cam, and even Sallis were just running into brick walls in the middle and would turn the ball over or throw up some trash. How many shot clock violations did we have when one of them held the ball then drove straight into a pile at the end of the clock? In our bad games this year we seemed to have three shitty plays that happened over and over … 1) long, contested or otherwise unlikely three being fired up with plenty of time on the clock, 2) hold the ball then drive straight into a pile of meat in the middle with 4 seconds left and miss/turnover, and 3) Efton fires up a three. I’d love to see how many games we won where Efton also shot a three. For me, every time I saw Efton launch from deep, that was the sign that the game was over. I don’t know if there actually is a correlation but that’s how it seemed.

Believe it or not, Reid attempted a three in 22 of his 27 games this season. Wake was 4-1 in games he didn’t attempt a three (includes NJIT and 4 conference games) and 3-3 in games he hit a three.

caa13f8993b3fba2e3deefe78f823163.gif
Love this GIF!

I'm hoping for decent roster continuity, and whatever happens with additions, to have a team ready to come out firing in November.

Dayton and Clemson are safely in the tournament and probably above the 8/9 lines because they did good things in November-December (Dayton did most of those things in Charleston). Forbes needs to get us some challenges in the OOC, and then for the first time in the Forbes era, we need to actually do something other than shit the bed in neutral site games.

Reid has got to get better offensively! It is frustrating to watch his footwork. He travels, lowers the shoulder and tries to spin back into other defenders. He needs better post moves and quicker feet.

Believe it or not, Reid attempted a three in 22 of his 27 games this season. Wake was 4-1 in games he didn’t attempt a three (includes NJIT and 4 conference games) and 3-3 in games he hit a three.
Reid started the year 1-10 from three. From January 13 on, he was 7/18 (38.9%).

It seems like this team was a Daivien Williamson and Dallas Walton away from doing some real damage. We should be able to get two players of that skill-set and caliber out of the portal, plus keep together the core five of Reid, Carr, Parker, Cam, and Boopie. Replacing Sallis (I have no inside info, but we're Wake, so we can't have nice things) will be tougher, but Forbes has brought in a POY candidate three years in a row.

I'd like for Forbes to have four portal spots to work for in case there's a whiff. A repeat of last year's portal class (Sallis, Boopie, Reid, Canka) would be tremendous. Another 2023 (Appleby, Carr) would be good enough, and a 2022 repeat (Alondes, LaRavia, Walton, Sy, Monsanto) would be otherworldly.

Reid shooting a spot three every game is fine. He isn't terrible at it. He doesn't need to be taking 3-4 of them though.

Yes, if I recall correctly he did have his days where he was a turnover machine. But he could also fire lasers and get the ball to who was open. The whole team shared the ball and were patient about trying to get shots. The team this year had games upon games where Boopie, Cam, and even Sallis were just running into brick walls in the middle and would turn the ball over or throw up some trash. How many shot clock violations did we have when one of them held the ball then drove straight into a pile at the end of the clock? In our bad games this year we seemed to have three shitty plays that happened over and over … 1) long, contested or otherwise unlikely three being fired up with plenty of time on the clock, 2) hold the ball then drive straight into a pile of meat in the middle with 4 seconds left and miss/turnover, and 3) Efton fires up a three. I’d love to see how many games we won where Efton also shot a three. For me, every time I saw Efton launch from deep, that was the sign that the game was over. I don’t know if there actually is a correlation but that’s how it seemed.

What's interesting is that Alondes Williams is the type of backcourt mate that could make Boopie a more viable player for us.

Alondes occasionally made poor decisions, but the bigger issue was that was the second worst ball-handling team in the modern history for Wake basketball, as far as I can remember. (I have [Redacted]'s first team was the worst, the post-CP year was 3rd worst). Alondes was an amazing point guard in pretty much every way except for suspect ball-handling, and that team had a secondary guard (Williamson) who couldn't dribble at all. LaRavia was our secondary ballhandler and our backup PG was...Carter Whitt.

Boopie has good enough handles, he just has none of the other (imo, more important) aspects of being a point guard -- managing the game, distributing the ball, getting the ball to the right people at the right time, disrupting the defense in order to create for others, being a leader on offense, etc.

I think anyone who has followed Chris Paul's career in the NBA can see how impactful mindset is on passing -- when a guy like him joins a team, other players also become more better / more willing passers, I think in large part because of the confidence they have in the offense and the fact that they are likely to get the ball back if they are in a good position to score. The opposite is true as well -- when you are playing with teammates who aren't good distributors, it's a vicious cycle where now you are less likely to give up the ball yourself.

Last edited:
I am bullish on Boopie given he has 2 more years of eligibility. That said, sliding him into a 3rd guard, Daivien Williamson/Taron Downey role would seem to be better for the team if Forbes is able to lure another really good guard.

I 100% do not expect Sallis to return. Say all you want about mental/physical growth, continued development, whatever, but these guys never return for us.

Sallis is long gone. Boopie we need badly, insane to not want him back. Yes we want him to improve but for a first year at ACC level, that was a very very good season. He has some dog in him too and if we can get two more years of him, sign me the fuck up.

Would also love Cam, Carr, Parker, Efton.

I am bullish on Boopie given he has 2 more years of eligibility. That said, sliding him into a 3rd guard, Daivien Williamson/Taron Downey role would seem to be better for the team if Forbes is able to lure another really good guard.

I 100% do not expect Sallis to return. Say all you want about mental/physical growth, continued development, whatever, but these guys never return for us.
Boopie is a capable starting PG in this league, but if we bring in enough talent to have him come off the bench at 100 mph, good lord.

Also for all the shit fans gave Cam all season, give me 5 guys like him at every position. Dude is tough and plays hard and physical, just a competitor. Common thread in most of our losses is getting out toughed.

Also for all the shit fans gave Cam all season, give me 5 guys like him at every position. Dude is tough and plays hard and physical, just a competitor. Common thread in most of our losses is getting out toughed.

This - Plus Cam was far and away our best defensive player and the dropoff from him to the 2nd best (Carr) was substantial.

The shit he caught from this fanbase for busting his ass 34 minutes per game was ridiculous

Sallis is long gone

Disagree - When it comes down to making a final decision my expectation is he goes but it's not a foregone conclusion at this point based on my understanding.

Will depend on his draft grade and what type of NIL package the RTQ donors put together.

So for everyone interested in bringing Sallis back - It's time to break out the check book

Disagree - When it comes down to making a final decision my expectation is he goes but it's not a foregone conclusion at this point based on my understanding.

Will depend on his draft grade and what type of NIL package the RTQ donors put together.

So for everyone interested in bringing Sallis back - It's time to break out the check book
www.RollTheQuad.com

Curious what it would take to get Sallis to return. Under normal circumstances I’d put him at 0.0% chance of returning but perhaps NIL could get him to stick around. What does an All ACC player command in that market?

Back